Concerns about twist UI lights

Shooter21

Enlightened
it would seem like lights that turn on by loosening the head would cause problems in wet weather conditions. is this a valid concern or am i just being paranoid?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't speak for every twisty UI light out there, but all of the ones I've had (several dozen) haven't had any specific issues with use in normal rainy conditions. Some lights will have issues with waterproofness if completely submerged, and quality will vary from one manufacturer to another, but a well-designed twisty UI light shouldn't have any inherent issues with normal wet weather operation.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally the O-ring stays engaged, so until it's pretty torn up it remains water resistant. A submerged light could generate a bit of suction as you unscrew it (increasing internal volume), but the worst I'd expect is a bit of moisture, no flooding. People who have flooded decent lights say that the worst effect is humidity inside the lens/reflector, which is fixed by running the light on High, or leaving it open in a dry place.

ragweed

Enlightened
I have been drenched in night time rain storms more than a few times & not had any problems with my lights. Completely submerging a light in a lake or pool is a different mater though. JMHO

davecroft

Enlightened
One of the first things I do with my new lights is turn them on then stick them under water for a minute or two. Dry them off and then check if any signs of dampness got past the O ring. Not had a problem with any yet, twisty or clicky. I reckon if I have paid for a light with IPX8 waterproofing it should hold up to a bit of a soaking. If there was a problem it would be returned to supplier. I would imagine that the fewer parts there are to a flashlight, the better as far as waterproofing is concerned, and most 'twisties' have only 2 parts - a head and body, no piston or tailcap or switch, so less potential for water ingress.

Although whether the situation would be different after a year's regular use and possibly some wear on the O ring I don't know. If a light can withstand 5 minutes under water it seems very unlikely that heavy rain would trouble it.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
it would seem like lights that turn on by loosening the head would cause problems in wet weather conditions. is this a valid concern or am i just being paranoid?

Yes, I think this is a valid concern. But if you keep the o-ring and threads lubed, then should not be a problem.

-

lebox97

Enlightened
what davecroft said :thumbsup:

- w/ twisty light you have - lens and head o-rings (hopefully)
- w/ clicky light you have - lens, head, tailcap, and switch o-rings (hopefully)

regardless of which you prefer - do routine periodic maintenance on the o-rings with good quality silicone/synthetic lube-grease for maximum watertightness.

I have seen some posts from users using a dry lube wondering why their lights leaked! :shakehead

Tod

... I would imagine that the fewer parts there are to a flashlight, the better as far as waterproofing is concerned, and most 'twisties' have only 2 parts - a head and body, no piston or tailcap or switch, so less potential for water ingress.

Although whether the situation would be different after a year's regular use and possibly some wear on the O ring I don't know. If a light can withstand 5 minutes under water it seems very unlikely that heavy rain would trouble it.

DM51

Flashaholic
What the others have said ^. As long as the O-rings are in good condition and properly lubed, you should have no problems with twisty lights. In fact, it can be argued that there is less likelihood of water ingress than with clickies, as it is more difficult to make a click-switch waterproof.

The only truly waterproof switch type is a magnetic one (Hall Effect).