Hurricane alley (CONUS) flashlight.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Far as I know, alkaline batteries can be put into flashlights even when wet, unlike lithium batteries. As long as the head is truly "potted". Beginning with that, what flashlights could survive a wet battery change?
(Please do not hesitate to enlighten me if I happen to be wrong.)

pinetree89

Enlightened
Beginning with that, what flashlights could survive a wet battery change?

Too many variables to provide a definite answer I'd say. Anytime your exposing the innards of a flashlight that is meant to stay dry it's somewhat of a gamble if something will go wrong or not.

How much water will get in there? One drop? One ounce/ml? Will the water be sloshing around? Will it cause a short between the positive and negative terminals? Will it cause a short if the light is held a certain way?

I think it all depends on these variables. As a general rule of thumb, water usually doesn't play well with most electronics.

ico

Enlightened
I had a cheapo light submerged in water for about 10 hours. Inside was an alkaline. Only about 1-2ml of water went in and the light is still working. The contact points in the head and spring had rust accumulated. The inside of the clicky also had rust. Pretty much damaged the whole thing so I just threw it away.

A wet alkaline will still work but most likely damage the light also

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think basically you should research waterproof lights and sealed battery containers and not worry about batteries that can work when wet.