Automobile Tires

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I have a 2003 Impala LS which comes stock with Goodyear Eagle GA tires. I'm looking to replace them with tires which are a bit quieter, perform better in the rain and can better handle high-speed cornering. Any suggestions?

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
We went with the Goodyear weatherhandlers on my wife's Impala and my S-10. Ours both came with Uniroyal Tiger Paws, now those were really crap tires. I even got mine on sale, was able to get 5 for the price of 4.

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
Goodyear Eagles... last had them on an '88 5.0 Mustang. Happily replaced them with BFG Radial TAs.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/radial_ta.pdf

In wet weather, the Eagles would hold like iron and suddenly break free without warning. Nearing the traction limits when dry gave skittery/twitchy handling. -blah-

Enter the BFGs. Very predictable, not skittery, excellent road feel. Big thumbs up!

Brock

Flashaholic
Ohhhhhhh, tires...... I really like the Michelin Energy Plus on my new TDI. Pretty quiet and stick to the road pretty well, very good handling. They also have a very low rolling resistance (better mileage). I am quite sure you could get tires that stick as well but not as low rolling resistance for much cheaper though.

For stud less snows you can't touch a Nokian Hakka Q's. Talk about stick! But they aren't exactly quiet. The place I got them from actually had an old Mazda 323 with a snow plow on it, with 4 Hakka Q's. They said it was great for smaller driveways and they haven't got it stuck yet! I suppose the extra weight of the plow on the front end, with front wheel drive.

Anyway I would recommend looking around tirerack.com and … darn I can't think of it right now, the other big one. Anyway lots of good info on both sites.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yah, I've had bad luck with Goodyear as well. I had Goodyear Eagle GS-C (supposedly high performance) and replaced them with Bridgestone S02s (later S03s) and there was no comparision. The S03s are great.

-john

iddibhai

Enlightened
i'm preferential to the higher end bridgestone turanza/potenza directional family in general along with continental's directionals. michelin has some good offerings as well. look around on tire rack, use the tire advisor, see the reviews, ratings, or call them up. great place to buy.