Button top 18650's question

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
Will Button top 18650's fit in solarforce style flashlights or do I need flat top? Any difference in which I should get?

skullo4

Newly Enlightened
button tops should fit in most lights(can only speak for the lights i have)...the question is normally if a flattop would fit

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
To elaborate on skull's post above, you generally don't have an issue with button top lights working in most lights. The fact that the positive terminal protrudes from the cell itself means it will most likely contact the nub or spring on the board/bulb. With flat top cells on the other hand, the body of the battery may possibly hit some part of the electronics, preventing the positive terminal from contacting the designated spot on the board/bulb. The length of a cell as it may vary between a flat top and button top is almost a non issue as there is generally a spring in the tail of the light that will take up any slack.

I have flat top AW brand 18650s in my solarforce L2 series lights and I have never had a problem. The AWs are great cells and highly regarded around these parts along with the Panasonic. Others have used trustfire cells without issue. If this is your first experience with Li Ion batteries, just make sure you read up on the best way to use and care for your cells and you should be fine.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use button top cells in my Solarforce L2 lights. I am sure that both will work fine.

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened
I use both the button-top AW 2200 and the flat-top AW 2900 in my L2P, L2T, and L2I without issue.

bodybagged

Newly Enlightened
I use both the button-top AW 2200 and the flat-top AW 2900 in my L2P, L2T, and L2I without issue.

Awesome,.... thank you for the quick responses. I ordered a few UltraFire 18650's, as I already have some AW's, and they were a bit more inexpensive.