Olight sr50 - sr51

bigjohninva

Newly Enlightened
I use a sr-50 out here on the farm. and use it hard, on the tractor in the fields it gets wet dirty and some times muddy. but holds up great. allways sits at my back door.
Now the ????? i orderd a sr-51 to keep in my gear back in the truck. (sar).
looked like both lights were pretty close in specs.
but then i hear the sr51 has a plastic front lens :confused::eek: well back in the day the old mag lights with plastic lens would scracth real bad. get some mud on it and wipe it// look out.

has anybody had any experince with the sr51? vs. the sr50

thanks
bigjohn

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
I have an SR51, and have yet to scratch it. I can't imagine that they would use a different lens between the two lights. That said, I haven't seen an SR50 in person.

Onebadengine

Newly Enlightened
It's kind of hard for me to tell, i think that its glass but cannot get the lense out to see the edge

bigjohninva

Newly Enlightened
thats what i hear. i;ll find out in a couple days and post the results. evan if its harden like glasses it will scratch.
bigjohn

bigjohninva

Newly Enlightened
well i got it in. the lense looks like glass. like the sr50. i tried to scratch it, wont scratch.
checking both lights inside daylight looks like the sr50 has a tighter hot spot. maybe the smooth reflector? on low there about the same. i'll find out tonight.
but i have a feeling i'm gonna get more throw with the sr50. 800 lms and a smooth reflector vs 900 lms and a orange peel reflector?

either way there both reel nice lights for what i need.

bigjohn

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
well i got it in. the lense looks like glass. like the sr50. i tried to scratch it, wont scratch.
checking both lights inside daylight looks like the sr50 has a tighter hot spot. maybe the smooth reflector? on low there about the same. i'll find out tonight.
but i have a feeling i'm gonna get more throw with the sr50. 800 lms and a smooth reflector vs 900 lms and a orange peel reflector?

either way there both reel nice lights for what i need.

bigjohn

Keep us updated - btw, I'm ordering an SR51 today - this will be my first Olight ever.

bigjohninva

Newly Enlightened
Chip looks like a very well built light. fits real tight///to tight in the carry case. a bit longer than the sr50 but nothing a little trimming with a razor blade wont cure.
the lock out function is great. if ya transporting it with batts. in it.
if it dont rain tonight i'll do a test.

bigjohn

bigjohninva

Newly Enlightened
Well it looks like the sr51 beet the sr50 //real close. low power 50=200 lumes 51 = 250 at 50 yards they were the same.
on high at 50 and 100 yards the sr51 was a bit brighter. and a bit cleaner spot. and whiter. but at 100 yards both are great.
gonna try to spot some deer tonight will be 100-200 yards. i know i'll see the eyes but hope i can see them?

bigjohn

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I love the SR51!

I'll post again when I get mine - it's in transit, so it shouldn't take more than a few days. I've never owned any Olight, so I'm little excited - geez I'm a few months' shy of 40 and I feel like a kid when there's something in the mail.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll post again when I get mine - it's in transit, so it shouldn't take more than a few days. I've never owned any Olight, so I'm little excited - geez I'm a few months' shy of 40 and I feel like a kid when there's something in the mail.

I am in the same boat!

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've received my Olight SR51 yesterday - first thing I've noticed is how nice is the metal case in comes in. The nylon sheath is nice as well - the rest is just standard (i.e. lanyard and spare O-rings). construction, fit and finish wise, I have no complaint whatsoever. Both battery holders are very nicely done as well (I have the 18650s and CR123 one) - they feel sturdy enough for me. I've had an Eagle Tac M3C4 which I've sold because I didn't like that there were a donut hole in the hotspot. I still have a Fenix TK41 which does a pretty good job of throwing it's beam at a reasonable distance. Now, I have an Olight SR51, which is actually, my first Olight ever. I have to say that up until now, this is the light I've liked the most. I like the beam pattern - I like that the hotspot in larger than that of my TK41 - it also throws a little more than my TK41 too. I just like the clean beam pattern of this light as well as the simplicity of operation (not that the TK41 is complex) that is, one button does it all - also it has only two modes + strobe - to me this is just fine. On the low mode (250 lumens) it does a good job still of lighting things up ahead of me and on the sides as well. Despite the fact that it's mostly a thrower light, I enjoy the large corona, which I find does a very good job of lighting things around, so that I don't have to pan around a lot. I also prefer the tint on my SR51 than on my TK41 - while the TK41 has more of a pure white tint on turbo, I prefer that of the SR51 because it allows me to see things better in the woods.

In a nutshell, I love that light.