First approach to "serious" flashlights' world, first buy

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm totally new to this "world", I even didn't know that there were so many flashlights and certain amazing ones! During these days I've read quite a lot on the Internet because I'm an amateur photographer and I love urbex so I want a nice flashlight.

I'm looking for a light that:

1. has a LED light (better if neutral white)
  2. has a good output (I don't really know how much are 200 lumens but I think around 180/200 lumens should be enough)
  3. uses AA rechargeable batteries (i don't really care about dimensions so till 4 AA should be ok)
  4. has the adjustable focus
  5. is rain proof, i mean I don't need to submerge it but that can be used in a quite heavy rain
Ok I know this is a lot of requests! On the net I saw two models that I'm interested in:

- Led Lenser P5/P14/M14 : the P5 has only 100 lumens output and I don't know if that's enough the P14/M14 are ok but the M14 is smaller
- Fenix E20, this is a nice torch, but here too not so much output (nice accessories :) )

The best for me should be a Led lenser M14 because of the really nice focus that could be useful in photography but only if I'm sure it is really heavy rain proof.

Thank you very much in advance for the help! :)

Sandro

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Sandro and welcome to CPF,

There are MANY lights that fit in the general range you have suggested. After looking at the HJK review of the Led Lenser M14, there were a few issues that bothered me, but still interesting if you desire a focusable beam. I tend to prefer fixed focus, but that's me.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?299159-Led-Lenser-M14-4xAA-with-focus-adjustment

First, you'll want to become familiar with rechargeable batteries. Here is a good resource for that:
Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries are excellent. For a charger, check out the "Flashlight Electronics, Batteries Included" area of CPF:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?9-Flashlight-Electronics-Batteries-Included

Also, here are some excellent flashlight review sites for you to look at:
http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews.html
http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

I also recommend that you learn how to use the little Google Search box located in the upper left corner of most CPF pages. Leave it checked for "CPF Only" and it will limit it's search to relevant CPF threads. That's very helpful for finding info on the various lights you will undoubtedly find yourself interested in.

Finally, don't be in a hurry. Plan on spending at least a couple of weeks. There is a neat new light hopefully being released in the next few months that would probably fit your needs quite well, the Zebralight Q40, but for now there is the Jetbeam PA40 and the Fenix LD40, and of course a huge number of 2xAA lights from EagleTac, Fenix, Jetbeam, and more.

Look for the IPX-8 standard, that certifies waterproofness at a depth of 3 ft for 30 minutes (or something close to that).

Next, look at the UI (user interface, how it turns on and off and changes levels). That can make a BIG difference to some folks. Does it turn on in low or high? Is the switch on the end of the light or the side? How many levels does it have and are they well spaced.

And yes, you will want to strongly consider a light with a neutral tint LED if you are into URBEX, as it will be MUCH more pleasant to use.

Ok, get to reading :D, and have fun!

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
4. has the adjustable focus

Don't rush into anything regarding this, an adjustable focus hugely reduces your options, they are plenty of lights that don't have it but will give you a clean beam. I don't own a Led lenser but a friend does, the focus imo is a pretty cool gimmick but not much else.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
many manufacturers dont offer any kind of adjustable focus....

Zebralight H51c, or SC51c might be worth checking out.
the "c" is for a neutral tint 85cri led that is used.

zebralight also has a H51w and SC51w models, which use a cree xpg neutral tint. lumens is a bit higher, but cri is a bit lower compared to the "c" models.

zebralights have smooth beams, with hotspot and spill. but you can also stick on a diffuser film, or scotch tape to the lens to give it a more floody smoother beam.

welcome to CPF

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
Wow, what a welcome post :) thank you for your fast and detailed replies!

I'm not in a hurry sure, I prefer to wait a bit if some good light is behind the corner.
I know that a focusable beam it's quite restrictive but as I'd use the light to illuminate the scene or the subject I take picture of, I think it's surely a nice and useful option.

I don't really need too much "tactical" options, 3-4 output modes are enough, and of course AA rechargeable batteries.

I think if the LedLenser is heavy rain proof and has a neutral white led so it fits my needs. Does anybody know??

In alternative I saw that fenix has a lot of diffusers to use the light as a candle/lantern, that could be another nice solution but I don't have idea of how much they work, does the diffuser really illuminates around or it's really limited?

In the end, I looked to the Zebralight H51c that skyfire told me but I didn't get how the focus works, it's like a two mode focus electrically switched?

Guys thank you for the support :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sandro,

Welcome to CPF! Though the LL's are nice when it comes to being able to go wide with no donut hole in the middle, they are NOT rain proof. I've had several instances where water got in the head of the light.

Your best bet if you want to use it for photography (chances are you will mount it on a tripod) just get a Jetbeam BC40, its floody enough for light effects and bright enough to go trekking at night even in heavy rains (it is waterproof IPX8 and submersible)

mmace1

Enlightened
(I don't really know how much are 200 lumens but I think around 180/200 lumens should be enough

A traditional (non-LED) 2AA Maglite would be about 15.
A traditional 3D Maglite would be about 75 lumens.
A 60 watt lightbulb would be about 850 lumens (according to Wikipedia).

Subjectively - walking say a dark trail at night - 30 lumens is enough to see where you're going/around you very well, though not in the distance, nor do you forget it's nighttime. Shining light into a hamster cage to check on them - 3 lumens is too much. Reading... <1 lumen is ideal.

Hope that gives some perspective.

is rain proof, i mean I don't need to submerge it but that can be used in a quite heavy rain

Nothing recommenced here would be unable to withstand rain. 98%+ would be fully submersible, i.e. you could swim with them, though not go diving.

Last edited:

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
lens-light model 03 O_O that's perfect apparently! I'm going to check some reviews but that's awesome!!

Does anybody has one? and mybe wants to sell it ? :)

mmace1

Enlightened
ehehhe ok with 100 lumens i'll get blind hams :)

yep it gave a good perspective, thank you!! :)

Well not exactly blind...I mean a 60 watt lightbulb is *850* lumens. 8-5-0. That's a lot from a common household item.

For my perspective I remember as a kid playing with a big Maglite - seemed so bright in the living room with the lights off. Yet...it didn't light up the whole room like a single lamp would, did it? No, it left things kinda eerily illuminated. I suppose the lamp must have been drastically brighter then. And it was.

Thing is - eyes adjust. That's what makes so much of this so subjective...with decently dialated pupils in the forest at night - 30 lumens seems quite bright. In an illuminated parking lot at night - 800 seems not much at all.

e.g. - I've hiked in a forest with 10 lumens, 30 lumens, and 300 lumens. Different...but not as much as one might think.

Anyway though - your goal at least initially 200 lumens. Basically every 2xAA light meets that or very close to it.

For brighter, you need more than 2 AA batteries, or a different type of battery: CR123 - quite expensive, rechargeable available but with far less capacity. 18650/other li-ion batteries - nice, but require expensive batteries and special chargers...kind of a pain for your "first buy" flashlight...or even your 10th.

For your first, or anyone not an enthusiast, I'd recommend sticking to AA size. Eneloop brand batteries are the general favorites btw.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
lens-light model 03 O_O that's perfect apparently! I'm going to check some reviews but that's awesome!!

Does anybody has one? and mybe wants to sell it ? :)
I had the mini version. I sold mine because I was gifted my ideal EDC. The lights are very good quality but aren't super popular on CPF for some reason.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Personally I don't like LEDs for photography, colours don't look right. I photographed a fairly dark greeny brown frog the other day using an ITP A3 to light it and in the photo it looked rather pale. I suppose the warmer LEDs might be ok

batmanacw

Enlightened
A smooth neutral beam with a LOP reflector will work much better than a focus able light. I have never seen a focus able beam light with a flawlessly smooth beam that would help with photography.

ildiopantofola

Newly Enlightened
A smooth neutral beam with a LOP reflector will work much better than a focus able light. I have never seen a focus able beam light with a flawlessly smooth beam that would help with photography.

LOP ??
Any suggestion so? :)

Guys, I've looked around but apart from the too much expensive lens-light 03 and the led lenser that are not rain proof, there are no focusable light that match my thought. Thus let say I'm looking for a torch that doesn't has to be focusable but:

1. has a neutral white LED
  2. has a wide beam
  3. has at least 200 lumens output
  4. uses from 1 up to 4 AA rechargeable batteries
Thanks again for your help guys!!!

Sandro