Help me decide: TK41 vs. TK45

Leif24

Newly Enlightened
I have always been a big Fenix fan.
I am looking for for a light with at least 700 lumens, but uses AA batteries.
My choices have been narrowed down to the Fenix TK41 or the Fenix TK45.
I have read many reviews and watched many videos on these two lights, but still can't decide.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

JacobJones

Enlightened
If you want a lot of flood the tk45 would be best. But if you would like some throw aswell go for the tk41

kj2

Flashaholic
If you want a throw light, take the 41, if you want a flood take the 45.
I self, have the TK41. Really happy with it. Fits good in my hand. Not to heavy. And throws like hell :)

mmace1

Enlightened
I had similar wants, and finally decided on the TK41. The reason being I can convert the TK41 into an *extremely* floody light with some scotch tape, or more permanently - using CPF user Phaserburn's diffusion material. Ideally I'd love an easy snap on/off diffuser for the TK41, but barring that, there are still options. At the same time, I don't know of any way to convert the TK45 to throw.

As a lesser point, I didn't like that (seemingly based on beamshots), the TK45 didn't have much-to-any wider spill than the TK41, just a more diffuse hotspot. I may be wrong in having that impression though.

Lastly and completely subjectively - the TK45 looked a little ugly to me. Certainly pretty dorky.

Last edited:

Richub

Enlightened
As for the spill between the TK45 and TK41: It's equal in size when pointed at a wall at 1 meter.

I have both lights, and after I bought my TK41, the TK45 hardly got off the shelf anymore...
The TK41 is one impressive flashlight. :)

Leif24

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all your help guys I am going to go with the TK41, can't wait for it to get here.

lovetohunt93

Newly Enlightened
I just got on here and was gonna start a thread just like this one between the TK45 an TK41!!! I think im gonna go with the 41 first and later on get the 45 for some flood!

CyberCT

Enlightened
I have both and still have to say the TK45 is a great flood light. I actually think the TK41 is a little too throwy with too little flood for use everyday. The TK35 is my favorite as it's smaller but still has decent flood and throw.

knobby

Newly Enlightened
I too was debating these two lights. I ended up ordering the tk41. Mmace1 summed up my thoughts as well. Very happy so far with my tk41 it is very bright....awesome throw as has Bennett mentioned a 1000 times in this forum....and I find the spill/flood quite satisfactory.

I had similar wants, and finally decided on the TK41. The reason being I can convert the TK41 into an *extremely* floody light with some scotch tape, or more permanently - using CPF user Phaserburn's diffusion material. Ideally I'd love an easy snap on/off diffuser for the TK41, but barring that, there are still options. At the same time, I don't know of any way to convert the TK45 to throw.

As a lesser point, I didn't like that (seemingly based on beamshots), the TK45 didn't have much-to-any wider spill than the TK41, just a more diffuse hotspot. I may be wrong in having that impression though.

Lastly and completely subjectively - the TK45 looked a little ugly to me. Certainly pretty dorky.

knobby

Newly Enlightened
I too was debating these two lights. I ended up ordering the tk41. Mmace1 summed up my thoughts as well. Very happy so far with my tk41 it is very bright....awesome throw as has Bennett mentioned a 1000 times in this forum....and I find the spill/flood quite satisfactory.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I'm a huge TK45 fan here! I like the looks of it, and I feel that I get more practical use out of the floodier hotspot more often than I need to throw quite so far with a TK41. But I got my dad the TK41, and it is really amazing. I bet you won't be disappointed with either choice!

Mason

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for making this thread, these are 2 of the flashlights I'm looking at and it's nice seeing feedback from owners.

sailfree

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have both but as someone already stated, when I got the TK41 I put the TK45 on the shelf:grin2: I'm also a fan of the TK35 but the fact that the TK41 uses regular AA batteries was big for me since I live in a rural area of Panama and 18650's are not readily available.

Does anybody know how to tell if my TK41 is the 800L or the 860L version?

kj2

Flashaholic
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have both but as someone already stated, when I got the TK41 I put the TK45 on the shelf:grin2: I'm also a fan of the TK35 but the fact that the TK41 uses regular AA batteries was big for me since I live in a rural area of Panama and 18650's are not readily available.

Does anybody know how to tell if my TK41 is the 800L or the 860L version?
Check your serial number on the Fenix website.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, if you want a lot of throw, go for the 41; if you want a lot of flood (i'm talking a WALL of light) then go for the 45. I chose the TK45 because I never "need" to see something SUPER far away and mostly wanted a super bright flashlight for walking my dog in pitch black at night and being able to see EVERYTHING within a few hundred feet. Also they use a ton of the TK45's in the movie "Prometheus" which is cool and everyone comments on it's interesting​ design, haha.

I'm actually selling my TK45 if you're interested. I finished a maglite mod that more or less duplicates the TK45 and i'm trying to free up some money.

It's like new, has the original packaging with all contents (lanyard, split ring, o-rings, and manual). I'm trying to post it on CPFmarketplace but don't yet have enough posts). Anyways, PM me if you're interested, I'll let it go for $100 and I'll cover shipping to the US.

Good luck making your decision!

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast
As others have said, if you want a lot of throw, go for the 41; if you want a lot of flood (i'm talking a WALL of light) then go for the 45. I chose the TK45 because I never "need" to see something SUPER far away and mostly wanted a super bright flashlight for walking my dog in pitch black at night and being able to see EVERYTHING within a few hundred feet. Also they use a ton of the TK45's in the movie "Prometheus" which is cool and everyone comments on it's interesting​ design, haha.

I'm actually selling my TK45 if you're interested. I finished a maglite mod that more or less duplicates the TK45 and i'm trying to free up some money.

It's like new, has the original packaging with all contents (lanyard, split ring, o-rings, and manual). I'm trying to post it on CPFmarketplace but don't yet have enough posts). Anyways, PM me if you're interested, I'll let it go for $100 and I'll cover shipping to the US.

Good luck making your decision!

PM sent - re: TK45