Need some help regarding Aquarium lighting.

LedNewb

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I will start off by telling you flat out that I have absolutely no experience or know how when it comes to led. I joined this forum as I need some help with aquarium lighting.
I live in Australia and we use 240v mains.

I am currently looking to set my 6 foot aquarium (180cm) with above tank lighting via LED strip, I have searched around google and watched numerous videos on youtube but I still don't quite understand what is needed to complete this properly.
The lighting will be placed inside a homemade "reflector" which will probably be something along the lines of plastic u channel and will sit directly on top of the glass along the whole length of the aquarium. I am opting for a reflector of this type as it will be thin (allow me to remove lids without removing the light) but will also be light weight so I can just move it with one hand if needed.

I found this on eBay and I would like to use something like this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370537849724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_4268wt_1139. The only problem is that I would like to set the whole thing up without the need of soldering,splicing etc.

My questions ultimately are:
-What items do I need (e.g driver,connectors etc)?
-Is there a way to set it up which doesn't require me to solder,splice etc but uses connectors instead?
-Do I need a transformer or can it be stepped down automatically using a 12v power supply? (Don't forget I use 240v)
-Am I able to connect controller like the RGB use? I am wanting to use it so I can click the remote when I want the lights on?

Sorry for the long and probably really basic questions and appreciate all help!!

Thanks Guys
Adam

evilc66

Enlightened
We need to know what type of tank it is. Freshwater? Salt? Planted/Reef? Fish only? They all have different lighting requirements. As it stands right now, that LED strip will barely illuminate a fish only tank, and definitely won't be sufficient for a reef or planted setup.

bugsy714

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, are you lighting for viewing or do you expect photosynthesis to happen? We have 7 years or marine reefkeeping experience

LedNewb

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I should have explained a little better.

It is freshwater, 180cm (6 foot) it is a catfish tank so don't need it lit up like x-mas it's more so I can click it on and off to see what's going on in there.
The light doesn't stay on for more than half an hour a day

evilc66

Enlightened
Just a 12v power supply with enough current capacity to run the strip you need. The ebay page didn't get into any details in that regard, but if you get one with a few amps of capacity, you should be able to run a few strips easily. I would contact the seller to get the details. Usually it will be listed as current draw per meter/foot.

You could make some estimations based on the type of strip it is. At 12v, you can reliably assume that it's 3 LEDs in series (the pictures show this too), with multiple groups run in parallel to make up the strip. There are 60 LEDs per meter according to the page, and at 20mA (max) per series string, that's 400mA per meter (20 series groups at 20mA).

LedNewb

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply!

So I won't need a driver or transformer? Simpy a 12v power supply?

Are there any connections that I can buy that will allow me to use the 12v power supply without welding or playing around with wiring?

Thanks again for the reply.

evilc66

Enlightened
Well, a power supply can be a transformer. It's just one kind of power supply.

As for the connections to the strip, you will most likely have to do some soldering of a connector. The only way I see you getting a power supply with the right connect already attached is to get it from the same seller on ebay if they have them.

evilc66

Enlightened
That power suuply will work fine, but you will be limited to up to two meters of the strip light.

The strip itself doesn't need a driver. For every three LEDs, there is a single current limiting resistor that is designed to set the appropriate current based on the 12v source it was designed around. It's not the best way to regulate current, but it's cheap.