REVIEW: The New 4Sevens Quark X Series>>>>>>>

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the "X" just means it's a standard Quark with a new emitter? Or are there any other differences?

Imon

Enlightened
So the "X" just means it's a standard Quark with a new emitter? Or are there any other differences?

Well isn't the emitter the heart of the flashlight? ;)

Seeing as how the Quark series of flashlight is most likely 4sevens most popular line of flashlights it seems like it was just a matter of time before they made one with the hot "new" XM-L LED.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Well isn't the emitter the heart of the flashlight?

Nah, more like the mouth! LOL

Batteries are the heart and driver is the brain!

If you're gonna talk the talk.....

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

I've not tested the previous Quark versions, but I believe the upgraded emitter is the primary and perhaps only difference.

mmace1

Enlightened
Going by their numbers (and this seems a pattern with XM-L), the differences are:

Less efficient (lower runtimes at equivalent-ish lumen levels)
Higher max
Floodier beam

Accurate? Going by that, I think I'd prefer the original models. This seems more like an alternative than a replacement per se.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these still using the original driver board?

Sounds like it. Operation is exactly the same, and according to AardvarkSagus‎ it still has pre-flash which leads me to believe that it's identical to previous Quark models save for the LED.

flame2000

Enlightened
Sounds like it. Operation is exactly the same, and according to AardvarkSagus‎ it still has pre-flash which leads me to believe that it's identical to previous Quark models save for the LED.

I see. I was hoping 47 would revised the Quark line and get rid of the pre-flash with a revised driver board when they upgrade the LED. Guess I'll wait a little longer.

TwitchALot

Enlightened

Ti-Force noted thermal regulation in his X Series Quarks, which certainly implies a different board/programming, though it seems like the preflash is still there.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
A word on pre-flash, the severity of it depends on the model. In my experience, pre-flash on the regular Quark was literally "blink and you'll miss it". It's hard to see even when you're looking for it, basically making it a non-issue. I understand it's worse on the tactical models where you can get a brief full-bright blast before it settles into whatever mode you've selected. In both cases, you generally only get a pre-flash if you turn the light on again within a few minutes of turning it off. If it has been off for a while then there's no pre-flash.

Last edited:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
A word on pre-flash, the severity of it depends on the model. In my experience, pre-flash on the regular Quark was literally "blink and you'll miss it". It's hard to see even when you're looking for it, basically making it a non-issue. I understand it's worse on the tactical models where you can get a brief full-bright blast before it settles into whatever mode you've selected. In both cases, you generally only get a pre-flash if you turn the light on again within a few minutes of turning it off. If it has been off for a while then there's no pre-flash.

This is my experience as well, although the time the light needs to remain off is variable and IIRC, I will occasionally get preflash still.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast

On my 2xAA Tactical, I consider myself lucky if I happen to blink during the pre-flash. If I don't, it's a blast of harsh full-brightness light to my night-adjusted eyes that usually leaves me seeing spots for a minute or two. :(

jerrysimons

Newly Enlightened
Rolex John,
Thanks for the Review.
I am not sure I understand why you didn't like the Tactical UI. Like do you mean for use with a handgun, specifically holding the flashlight in the weak-hand crossing under your strong-hand holding the pistol?

These lights are really light weight and I would consider mounting one on a tactical QCB rifle using a 25mm scope ring attached to the picatinny rail. For that I also think the monetary on function of the tactical UI would be useless since you would have to keep constant pressure on the switch using your support hand (It would be cool if 4Sevens made a momentary-on pressure pad for the Quarks but probably not cuz it would detract from the maelstorm G5/X7 offerings for use with the more common 1in weapon mounts). For such a use I would just click it on to do the raid/building search and the turn it off when I didn't need it. I could, however, see the momentary-on function working well for nighttime navigation but then you are too limited with the TUI because you are only allowed two modes. I think the Regular UI is preferable for such a use because it has quick access to Max and Strobe for the raid and/or building clearing, and easy access to moonlight and low modes for assisting nighttime navigation.

tony22

Newly Enlightened
Going by their numbers (and this seems a pattern with XM-L), the differences are:

Less efficient (lower runtimes at equivalent-ish lumen levels)
Higher max
Floodier beam

Accurate? Going by that, I think I'd prefer the original models. This seems more like an alternative than a replacement per se.

I'd like to examine this a bit further. I just literally today got in the mail my AA2, and I'm debating whether I should return it without even touching the box, for the XM-L. If the newer emitter is less efficient and floodier then maybe it's not exactly going to be better for me. I wouldn't mind it if the goinggear guys did a side by side video of the X AA2 and the XP-G AA2.