Comparison between Nuetron 2A and Fenix Ld20

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
This is not an entirely professional review, just my thoughts.

So I am a little torn on these flashlights. I actually think I am going to keep using my Neutron 2A. The Fenix Ld20 has a few perks over the Neutron A, but the Neutron 2A has a few more perks than the Fenix LD20.

Price is similar, I paid(rounding up)....
Neutron 2A 68$
Fenix LD20 54$

Thrunite Neutron 2A Cree XM-L T6 Orange Peel reflector

The Good

• Brighter for the surrounding area.
  • Instant mode switch(I originally hated this, but later realized it was good for switching to strobe in an emergency), just tap the button as fast as you can and it switches to strobe.
  • Tail stand well.
  • 0.9 lumen(great for being sneaky, can't be seen from far away)
  • Pocket Clip is deeper and doesn't stick way out of you pocket, also the head is facing down.
The Bad

• This flashlight is not IPX-8 water proof. Simple is not. I tested it multiple times and the chamber flooded in under 15 minutes both times in a pot of water. IPX-8 is supposed to be over 1meter deep for 24 hours. The light flickered off before the 15 minute mark the second time, the first just had lots of water. It is dunkable though, it does resist a little bit.
  • Rattles a little bit
Fenix LD20 Cree XP-G (R5) LED Smooth reflector

The Good

• Better throw for long distance search.
  • Switching modes takes a second to hold the button down(if you have nervous hands it can be good so you don't switch the modes from a nervous twitch). Also the button is a bit stiffer.
  • Actually water proof took a 1hr long test in my pot of water and it was bone dry in it.
  • Lighter if carry weight is an issue.
  • A little quieter than the Neutron 2A. The Fenix LD20 has what seems to be a tighter spring and slightly slimmer tube for the battery.
  • Over all construction is a bit sturdier. Also note that there are less pieces to fuddle with.
  • The 5 Lumen low throws nicely, and at night it is honestly the perfect brightness. At night it appears to be almost double the brightness of the Neutron 2A.

The Bad

• That pocket clip sucks. Not only does it stick out of your pocket by almost double the distance of the Neutron 2A, but it is head up, so the shiny reflector draws attention. Such an unusable pocket clip in public.
  • Tail stand is terrible. It is about half as wide as the Neutron 2A and falls over very easily.
  • The button is overly stiff. I originally wanted a stiffer button, and something that wasn't easily changed. But I was wrong about what I wanted. I realize now that having to press harder, and I have to hold for 1 sec is just annoying. When I want to switch modes, I want to do it fast, like turbo to strobe....You only really need strobe for an emergency and speed is of the essence.
Light times (Classic Duracell batteries used from the same pack)

Neutron 2A 1hr 5 min (turbo)
Fenix Ld20 1hr 5 min(turbo)

After the specified time I felt that both lights were too dim to be labeled anything close to their advertised turbo mode. My last picture shows what the lights looked like at the 1hr 5min mark on turbo. I really didn't care about light times with the other modes. It was noted on another thread that the light times seemed to be longer for the 260Lm Neutron 2A than the 180Lm Fenix LD20. This is not true, at least note for the Duracell batteries I used. The Fenix Ld20 clearly stayed brighter for longer. Now it is not seen clearly in the photo, but both me and my dad are convinced that the Neutron 2A is brighter, when you stand in a room with both flashlights on you can clearly see the Neutron 2A engulfs everything around it. It is only in a camera with fast shutter speed that you notice a difference. Though it is noted above, I will say it again, the Fenix LD 20 has smooth reflector which accounts for seemingly brighter focus spot. In perspective, a 260Lm light lasting almost as long as 180Lm light is rather impressive.

Pictures: Neutron 2A(left)--------------Fenix LD20(right)

SidebySide.jpg

Head.jpg

Tails.jpg

Pot.jpg

1.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

1hr5minuse.png