Other hobbies besides collecting? Pics encouraged.

carrot

Flashaholic
I'm curious what other CPFers do for hobbies. Collecting other stuff (knives, guns) is pretty obvious... so what else do you do for fun? Pics encouraged.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Other hobbies besides collecting?

Spelunking and...coin collecting. I haven't been in to the coin collecting much in recent years with my kids coming along (and my flashlight hobby), but I acquired enough prior to my flashlight collection to have a pretty nice collection. Of special note are my Confederate $10 bill. A near mint 1950C $20 I got from an ATM in Cherokee NC. I have 10-15 lbs of silver American coins from Silver Eagles, Morgan/Peace dollars, Franklin/Kennedy Halves, a bunch of silver quarters/dimes, etc. I also have an 1865(?) "V" nickel I got from my dad he got when he was a boy, and handed it down to me. My oldest coin is an 1836(?) King William(?) Farthing (the monarch right before Queen Victoria). I also have a $1 and $5 silver certificate. Oh, and a bunch of European coins/bills prior to them going to the Euro. Sorry for all the fuzzy details (i.e "?"'s), but I'm doing this off the top of my head.

I also have a nice stash of Baseball cards...me and my old brother started collecting them from the ice cream man around 87, and we pretty much stopped around 91-92. I have a large Cal Ripken collection, as well as a bunch of McGuire/Barry Bonds rookies, and a Bo Jackson Base ball and Football rookie cards. Unfortunately, these cards aren't what they used to be, with all the strikes and stuff, but, I'll ahnd them down to my kids, etc.

Nice idea for a thread, BTW, Carrot!

Jep

Newly Enlightened

i was into car audio, well i still am but not as much anymore. also r/c cars since i was a kid but had a lapse and re-discovered them a couple years ago. i also like watches but cant even start to afford a decent auto swiss piece so i just look lol...

few pics of old stereo and r/c

o57x1z.jpg

2a0du1x.jpg

2u59p4h.jpg

sub is DD 9515f fwiw

where r/c cars spend most of their time, on the workbench =/
raq1ih.jpg

vendetta st brushless set up for carpet, quick but mainly set up to handle great
2zqrhi8.jpg

older vendetta st brushless, off road/basher set up. extremely fast ~45-50mph could barely keep the front end down.
16rndv.jpg

9ghb9u.jpg

the mini e-revo. stupid fast and very hard to handle. ~55mph on 3s lipo. lots of mods, probably a couple nice Ti lights wrapped up in this one
2ztaiz4.jpg

10zxsmp.jpg

2r225bm.jpg

fl0t

Enlightened

That brushless REVO looks faaast! I used to be into RC as well, but I sold my tmaxx and revo 1 year ago.

I am also a bit of an audiophile, but only for compact rigs. Headphones, headphone amp, source, etc.

My other hobby is more of what I study, so not much of a hobby, I am a CISCO CCNP, still studying, but never worked on that field.

Last edited:

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Collecting Zippos... and I don't smoke.

Jep

Newly Enlightened

would love to see zippo pics, ive always carried one since i was.. um.. 18 lol

the revo was fast if you could keep it upright, it would wheelie at any speed if you punched it, would backflip from a dead stop and if you try and turn at speed it rolled. great for bashing and messing with neighborhood kids especially being waterproof. i got tired of fixing it tho, i went through 4 diffs, 2 chassis and at least 4 front bulkheads. lol when i added the beadlock wheels i didnt realize how much it would effect the stopping distance and destroyed the whole front end within minutes. i was picking up parts in a walmart parking lot for a good 30 mins after that crash

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gardening! It's one of the main reasons I've chosen to live in a rural area all these years. I learned the love of gardening from my Mom as a kid and have had a green thumb ever since. I enjoy growing things; pretty much everything from flowers, shrubs and trees, to fruit, berries and vegetables.

As far as hobbies go, I guess it's primarily the vegetable garden. I've always thought of it as a hobby that pays for itself but it's become much more than that. About two years ago I went to the trouble of calculating an estimate of the value of the produce coming from my garden and realized that the organic produce I grow between May and September (edit: early November actually, I forgot about the kale & Brussels sprouts) would cost between $1500 and $2000 (perhaps more) and is of a quality and freshness you just can't buy in a store even at the local farm stands or farmer's markets. I manage to grow several hundred pounds of apples, pears and blueberries as well.

glettuce2.jpg

Glettuce1.jpg

gcrrot.jpg

ppr.jpg

One of the gardens. There are several.
gden.jpg

SPS_3700.jpg

Traded these with a neighbor who raises rabbits.
elis.jpg

Last edited:

John Johnson

Newly Enlightened

Custom knives for me. I've collected for over 25 years and tend to concentrate on integrals, forged blades, and Japanese influenced designs. As far as other things I collect, that would probably be dust, according to my wife.:devil: Seriously though, knives have been really the only thing that has kept my attention and wallet for years. Lights tend to be an on again/off again sort of thing which tends to be maddening, due to the tech changes that occurs frequently.

Acid87

Enlightened
Im quite into collecting coins. Hence earlier threads of mine asking for help looking for US state quarters. Been doing this since I was a wee guy and something I've found a new love for.

Other than that have a few collections of Whiskys after all I am Scottish. Notice the difference in spelling too not "whiskey" that fake Irish drivel.
Also hot sauces from all over the show.

carrot

Flashaholic

Welp, I guess I'll talk about my hobbies.

I'm into board gaming, like euro games and designer board games. Catan, Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy, Dominant Species, and the like. The one my friends and I are enjoying the most right now is Pandemic. Most of my "hobbies" budget has gone to board gaming over the last year. Board games like these are nothing like your average Monopoly, Game of Life or Chutes and Ladders. They have been a great excuse to bring friends together whom I normally would rarely get to see, and an awesome way to spend an evening.

pic300647md.jpg

photo by Michael Basil, Board Game Geek

I'm also an avid hiker, backpacker and mountain biker...
263135_2217946292172_1353060063_32607417_3526102_n.jpg

216720_2317630024203_1353060063_32747129_5552291_n.jpg

205865_2329076950369_1353060063_32762492_4267630_n.jpg

And my latest obsession has been rock climbing... I try to go every spare evening! I love rock climbing because it is incredibly thrilling!
185265_10150410735988761_732848760_10664009_372514_n.jpg

carrot

Flashaholic

Jep, always did want to get into RC cars. When I had the free time, I had no money, and when I had money, I had no free time. Always found the nitro ones very exciting... they are very much like real ICE cars, but with much smaller parts!

EZO, that's quite the garden you have there... and quite a big carrot... it must be wonderful to have so much produce growing right in your very own backyard!

angelofwar and Acid87... sounds like you guys need to start a coins thread!

Ian2381

Enlightened

Sports, Swimming, Basketball, camping and Mountain climbing/Hiking.

247869_1669059381379_1684182208_1204790_6938704_n.jpg

197136_1541855761368_1684182208_1038266_1859971_n.jpg

197912_1541864321582_1684182208_1038280_8063970_n.jpg

ganymede

Enlightened

I am into 1/8 scale nitro off road... :sssh:

My current ride is an XRAY 808 09 spec powered by a Novarossi Plus 4c...

Look for me on rctech.net

sadboy

Newly Enlightened

I think flashlights would fall as an "other hobby" for me. Up until two months ago, I was looking into EDC supplies. I had bought a Fenix TK15, which I liked conceptually for my basic needs, until I received it. Ultimately, I decided to return it. Here I am, looking for other flashlights and learning about them as I go.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm into photography, Jeeps and off-roading in general, and powerlifting mainly. I always wish I had more time for each one, but you know how that goes!

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

EZO, that's quite the garden you have there... and quite a big carrot... it must be wonderful to have so much produce growing right in your very own backyard!

I am very honored to have carrot complimenting my carrot! :) Thanks! (edit: A friend of mine when she saw the photo said, "My, what a big carrot you have!" :naughty:) I never cease to be amazed at what you can grow without the use of pesticides or fertilizers if you have very rich organic soil. It seems like every year the garden spits out some ginormous specimen or two along with the normal lush growth. Last year it was a beet the size of a large grapefruit and some peppers that size. Usually, veggies that get that big are cracked, tough, woody and tasteless, but these have had great texture and flavor. During the growing season I feel very smug walking past the produce isle at the supermarket with my nose in the air!

I've been hiking at least once a week for decades including during the winter when we switch to snowshoes but it's funny, I never stopped to consider it a hobby until now. I've always described it as a favorite activity although some of my hiking buddies call it a sport, but yeah, I guess it is a hobby, especially when I consider my lifelong fascination with and enjoyment of the gear involved.

I've actually had so many different hobbies over the years I've lost count. On the partial list are landscaping, gourmet cooking (goes with the gardening) radio, fringe science, firearms - (hunting, trap & skeet shooting, sporting clays, target shooting, black powder), collecting osteological specimens (skulls), natural history, creative writing, jogging/gym rat, etc. etc.

Last edited:

Gimpy00Wang

b0rk, b0rk, b0rk

Cycling is my primary focus -- road and MTB. Other hobbies include: lights, hiking, backpacking, photography, R/C, scanners, woodworking. Planning on some bikepacking this spring. Will also be adding parenting to the list any day now. :D

- Chris

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jep - nice E-Revo. I've got a similar setup but with a Neu motor and PL Badlands tires. Surprised to see so many RC people coming out in this thread. I was heavy into RC for about 5 years until my daughter was born, so haven't touched it much in the past two years. RC-Monster.com was where I spent my time. I was big into converting nitro 1/8 buggies and trucks to brushless/LiPo power before companies like OFNA and X-RAY started making models available. My nicest buggy is a converted XB8-EC 1/8 scale buggy - this thing just hauls - I've measured max power draw at 1200-1500Watts on a 6-cell (22.2V) 2.6Ah 50C LiPO (would love to be able to run that power through a flashlight!!!)

I do a little bit of N-scale model training, but no permanent setups. Just something to have fun with.

I also have a Miata that I enjoy working on and upgrading here and there. So far, by myself, I've done a full audio system upgrade, header/midpipe/muffler replacement, ECU re-tune, all maintenance and a few other little one hour tweak jobs.

Chris - parenting is quite the challenge, a lot of work, but still a lot of fun. Unfortunately many of my hobbies have taken a back seat during my daughters first two years. Fortunately though, she's asleep by 8pm so that night is mine with a flashlight in hand :)