Buying first flashlight, advice? :)

Nnjz

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I've been meaning to register and post for the longest time, and finally found the time to. :)

I'm looking for my first "real" flashlight. I've been reading and it seems everyone that has asked has been pointed towards this guide to answer some basic questions.. Well, here goes.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

Brick and Mortar or online are both fine, I am comfortable doing both. (I live in Northern NJ)

2) Budget:*

*Between 25-50$.

3) Format:*

I want a flashlight

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

It depends I guess. Something that can be carried in one hand. (but is not ridiculously huge) something that is portable enough for a camping trip and will fit in a backup with my other gear.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)

This is a definite " I don't know" haha.*

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

Whatever you suggest here. I'm not that knowledgable on electric theory, but I do build computers. I dont have the time or equipment to modify any hardware. If it's as simple as building a PC, I'm game. If not, I'll go the pre manufactured route. Also depends on the $, and the benefits of the "custom" build vs the manufactured build.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

Not a clue, although rechargeable type batteries are preferred.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).*

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

I want enough light to have that "wow" effect. Also, if something moves in the woods, I want to know whether it's a deranged psychopath with a sharp/blunt object that wishes to do me harm, or just a deer. Since im planning on spending around $50 here, more is better. I have plenty of lights that would work if this light is "too much" for that purpose. I guess this puts me in the 300-700 lumen range.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
____5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

5-50 I guess. Is it possible to adjust? I want a versatile flashlight that would work well in the woods, at the campsite, in my backyard, and the amazon rain forest at night (or as close to that as possible).

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)*
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

I'm used to crappy flashlights running on C/D batteries that last only 20mins (or so it seems). I'd like to have as good a battery life as possible, but I'd also like to be realistic. What are my options and what should I expect?

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.*

Somewhere in the mildly important range. I don't use a flashlight much, but I still want something kickass. When we go to bonfires in the middle of the woods at 1am, I want to have the coolest, best flashlight around (compared to everyone else"s walmart bought flashlights).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):*

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

Doesn't matter much. A button clicky near the head would be nice, but I wouldnt care if it were on the cap either.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.*

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)*
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)*
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

2-3 levels would be nice. :)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

As long as it's good construction, doesn't feel "cheap" and can last, doesn't matter.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

None.

I appreciate any help. I hope such a flashlight exists. It doesnt have to be the best, but a solid and recommended "good choice" would be great. If my 50$ price range is unrealistic for what in asking for, please let mr know. (and if you had any suggestions around the $50 range, those would be appreciated as well).

Thank you for reading, your help will be greatly and sincerely appreciated.
NNJZ

Ps- after reading and considering, I would go as high as $70.

saypat

Enlightened

I wouldn't get started. Your $70 budget will soon turn into $700, I don't care how logical you think you might be
:banghead:

ragweed

Enlightened
What do you want to use it for? EDC or counting the cows in the pasture 100 yards away??

Nnjz

Newly Enlightened
EDC/camping trips on occasion.

Although those cows have been asking for a good counting for awhile if you ask me.. :)

Vsin, thanks for the suggestion. I like the zebra (other than it looking kinda ugly, but I can get over that) but the controls seem overly complicated. (1 button controlling 3 modes, each with 2 subsettings). This light would be perfect if the user interface were a bit simpler. I don't supposed there's something like the zebra with less modes?

Thanks,
NNJZ

Last edited by a moderator:

mjw2

Newly Enlightened
I think I found you something that will keep you well around your budget of $50. Not bad for your first "real flashlight." It's not too expensive where you will have to skip or meal or two, and it's not cheap enough to feel like you're getting a janky light. The aircraft-grade aluminum body with full knurling will give it an exquisite look and feel.

Let me introduce the Quark AA by 4 Sevens. The Quark is operated (amazingly) by one AA battery cell! You can even use rechargeable ones if you want. The aircraft-grade aluminum body is extremely durable for camping, hunting, accidental drops on concrete, etc. The light is IPX-8 waterproof…which I think is an important function if going camping. And, the UI is pretty simple which includes 3 flash modes, and a max, and moonlight mode all which can be actuated by quick successions of the clicky button. Good luck on your hunt, and tell us what you decide.

http://www.firearmsprostore.com/quarkaatacticalr5edition-2.aspx

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
IMO, Zebralight have one of the best UIs around. In normal use 3 levels are easy to access from off - quick press for max, long press for low and a quick double click for medium. You only need to faff around with setting the sub-levels once. You may want to stretch your budget to the SC600 though, to really blow people away (they look better in real life than the photos though!) Anyway, whichever light you go for is bound to be a huge step ahead of what the average Joe brings along.

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much any Quark light from 4sevens will do you just fine. I suggest the tactical interface because it makes it easier to keep distracting modes hidden (strobe etc.). I'd use a 2 cell configuration for more output.

Also, my go to response for a sub $50 light is the Fenix E21. It's rated at 150 lumens, but it was tested by (selfbuilt, I believe) to actually be putting out 200. The smooth reflector gives it pretty nice legs in terms of throw. The only downside for me is the low is more of a medium level.

If you're feeling adventurous get a Quark Turbo (75 dollars with free shipping from 4sevens.com)

But seriously...good luck buying just one.:popcorn:
:welcome:

Last edited: