Electrician Needed

rbramski

Newly Enlightened
We have been hooking up power at our hunting camp with a small generator using 110 male to male plugs. A tree knocked out the lines years ago. No mains hooked to the box. We got a bigger generator and would like to use a L14-30 to a 3 blade dryer plug. When I wired my house I used a female L14-30 hooked to its own breaker and a male to male plug. With the main off, no dead linesmen and it works fine. With our camp I have the generator cord and am putting the male dryer plug on it. When I am connecting the hots I am fine. Do I not use the ground from the generator or do I tie it to the neutral since they go to the same place in the box? Just confused as what to do with the ground?

pauls_boat

Newly Enlightened
We have been hooking up power at our hunting camp with a small generator using 110 male to male plugs. A tree knocked out the lines years ago. No mains hooked to the box. We got a bigger generator and would like to use a L14-30 to a 3 blade dryer plug. When I wired my house I used a female L14-30 hooked to its own breaker and a male to male plug. With the main off, no dead linesmen and it works fine. With our camp I have the generator cord and am putting the male dryer plug on it. When I am connecting the hots I am fine. Do I not use the ground from the generator or do I tie it to the neutral since they go to the same place in the box? Just confused as what to do with the ground?

i hate to say this but you should never us a male to male lead anywhere as well as being very danger-es it is also illegal in most of the world
mad71.gif

if you are going to try to wire a 4 pin plug to a 3 pin plug if there is a casing connection on the 3 pin plug then

ground goes to the casing
hot red or black to number 1 and number 3 (one to each)
white to number two neutral

if there is no casing connection then
ground and neutral go to number 2
red and black go to number 1 and 3 (one to each)
hope this helps