The Night That Will Live In Flashlight History!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
The Southwest US blackout was a prolific night to test lights.

With the house and neighborhood so dark, even the dim lights (Safe-Lights) I leave on all the time turned bright.

People walking past our house, with a throw of 120 feet to the street, were lit up like they were on stage in Vegas. Frozen in a confused daze by the blinding cool white of several different Malkoff's.

Even my Red SF L1 threw well over 100 feet.

Power came back on before the real big lights came out, but it was fun, except it was 113 when the power went off.

I know some of you live in remote areas, and can test like this every night, however, I live in the developed area of the desert, and we now have a city night sky. I will never go out in the open desert at night, and I will never go camping, so this was the next best thing.

This is my report. It would be nice to hear what others did tonight.

Hope everyone is doing well with no A/C

NR

Jay611j

Enlightened
Our power went out here in San Diego yesterday at 3:41PM and didn't come back on until 3AM this morning. It was really something to see our entire city completely black.

It was really the first time I got to see the true performance of my TK35 and my Stanley HID!:devil: Everybody in my neighborhood had mainly Maglites and 5mm led flashlights. Let me say that I had quite the crowd when I came home from work and went outside with these lights! Oh, and I can't forget to mention the wonderful Fenix E01, with one in each room of the house it was almost as if I had power.:naughty:

justanotherguy

Enlightened
I loaned my Lambda 3cXML (VP1000 3c???) to someone at work. He was blown away by it. In fact his wife grabbed it at 3am to walk the dog and was like 'WTF is this thing??????'. She said it was unbelievable,because it looks like a regular old mag lite...Mwuhahahahaha!
I think it lights up a person at 400 feet, but I need to measure it to be sure. It reallllly reaches out into the park by me!
Tony

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was fun, in a way, the heat is something I could live without it was 90F inside, 113 outside, and remained a hot night until restoration.

Is there another thread, or are we the only three out of 6 million that tested lights durring this?

I am having our electrician install a generator to run at least the A/C...never again! It was an adventure though

Last edited:

Jay611j

Enlightened
I was wondering that too. I logged onto CPF that night on my phone and assumed there would be some threads about it but I found nothing.

It was about 90F inside my house as well. I was up until the power came back on because there was no way I could sleep in a muggy, hot bedroom :sick2:. I must say it was fun though and being able to see all the stars was really cool. It was probably a once in a lifetime thing and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I resisted the urge to pull out the Polarion and run around the street. Instead, I attached my Troutie Liberator to my handlebars and took a ride around the neighborhood. The real champ of the night was the Muyshondt Mako. (Cheers to you Enrique :bow:)

-Mayo

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have recovered from the blackout, and the relentless heat, I want to give some credit to the people who make our lights.,

In no order -

Safe Light:

In the total darkness in my production office in the house, one wall was lit up, and at first, I thought maybe the power was coming back, however, it was the white LED Safe Light I put on top of a supply cabinet. Normally they are very dim, this night, it was very bight. So was the Red LED version.

I have always liked these, and like them even more now. This is a perfect emergency light, and it did what it was intended to do, I just did not know this until the conditions around me changed, and it came to life.

I am going to put a red and white one of these in every room, and in my travel bags. I keep them in our vehicles, and the red one in my truck was amazing.

Surefire:

We all know Surefire, and no surprise they would be bright, but when my stock Red L1 lit the palm trees across the street, well over 150 feet away, I thought that was great

My wife used an L1, and the low was great, and was much more than a Nav. light in the house.

I took my Red Special 9-11 Edition 6PX Pro out, and it produced an amazing beam very long throw, and great spill. I was able to see this light work in better conditions, due to the darkness and It worked very well.

McGizmo:

I have a Red Sun Drop, which I call The Setting Sun Drop, due to the effect it has, and this was just an amazing navigation light inside. It was perfect at all levels, and I used this one the most during the episode of darkness, I could move around, locate the cats, light the bathroom, and I remained invisible from the outside.

This is a fantastic light!

Malkoff:

The Malkoff's were the stars of the show. With my M91, I could light all 14,000 feet of our front yard, the street, the neighbors front yard homes (House right and Left), and it still had more to spare. Much more.

The M61 was also a stunning thrower, it lit up trees blocks away, and produced a beam of light into the sky, only to be washed away by the Moon. (3/4 or whatever the Moon was last night)

Photon Fanatic:

The Tasklight II has been one of my favorite lights, and one lit the den, and the other one lit the kitchen. These can be turned on and left on for quite a while. I love these lights.

My La Petite Killer is on a Paracord Lanyard I wear everyday, and It was used quite a bit yesterday.
Like the other lights that we have that are not designed to be super bright, this little one lit everything very well.

I did not get to test all of the brands of lights, and the house and street may never be that dark again, but at least it was something to do until the power came back.

Thanks to all the makers of my quality lights,

Best,

NR

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering that too. I logged onto CPF that night on my phone and assumed there would be some threads about it but I found nothing.

It was about 90F inside my house as well. I was up until the power came back on because there was no way I could sleep in a muggy, hot bedroom :sick2:. I must say it was fun though and being able to see all the stars was really cool. It was probably a once in a lifetime thing and I enjoyed it while it lasted.

This would have been much more fun...say in the winter months with daytime highs in the 70's.