Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries for Apex at 7.4v??

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened
Does anyone know if you can run an Apex at 7.2v?

My pimped 200 lumen apex got returned to me with a broken AA case.
I'm thinking I'd rather have a rechargeable battery pack, and I have some 7.2v Li-ion packs for my bike lights.

Thanks

Last edited:

joanne

Newly Enlightened
Re: Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries for Apex at 7.2v?

I'm also thinking of modding my Apex Pro for a rechargeable pack. I do long underground explorations and would like more run time than the 2 CR123 batteries provide.

A 4p 18650 pack will run the light without the balancing issues of charging a 2s2p configuration. What would be the pro's and con's of the two alternatives? I have a Tenergy 6 charger that I will be using to charge the packs regardless of the configuration I select.

A friend of mine runs his custom lights (xpg or xml depending on the light he brings) on a 5p 18650 pack and it will run forever.

I welcome some input on the different configurations.

Joanne

Szemhazai

Enlightened

joanne, 2s2p is the most typical configuration for bike lights so it's obvious choice for any biker :)

Also this days availability of the components is better - you can buy 2s2p battery pack, charger and cable designed for magicshine and the only thing that you have to do is cut original battery pack and solder a new plug to you Apex.

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened

Thanks, my 7.4v 2S1P packs seem to work. They fit OK on the back of the headband. What happens when the light goes out of regulation- I assume it will just shut down without warning rather than run on at low voltage, no?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, my 7.4v 2S1P packs seem to work. They fit OK on the back of the headband. What happens when the light goes out of regulation- I assume it will just shut down without warning rather than run on at low voltage, no?

It just goes off when the protection curcuit kicks in, it stays in regulation until that so no warning ;) I've been using mostly 18650s in 2S1P, but also 2S2P. RC li-poly packs are very compact and not too expensive (I have a couple I use for cars and headlamps). 7.4V packs are easily available up to over 5AH :D

I normally use large packs inside my clothing and an extender wire. I have switched to a neutral white Little Monkey Hurricane, but my wife still uses an Apex and I bring mine as a spare on longer trips since they can all use Li-poly packs.

Last edited:

Offroad'Bent

Enlightened

It just goes off when the protection curcuit kicks in, it stays in regulation until that so no warning ;) I've been using mostly 18650s in 2S1P, but also 2S2P. RC li-poly packs are very compact and not too expensive (I have a couple I use for cars and headlamps). 7.4V packs are easily available up to over 5AH :D

I normally use large packs inside my clothing and an extender wire. I have switched to a neutral white Little Monkey Hurricane, but my wife still uses an Apex and I bring mine as a spare on longer trips since they can all use Li-poly packs.

I have a nice little LiPo pack that fits perfectly on the headband. Smaller and lighter than the 4AAs. I also have a 2S2P on a long cable, and several 2S1Ps that could work on the band.

Too bad about the lack of warning.
I'd love to get another AA case though as an option. Anyone have a spare PT Apex battery case?

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think the low voltage warning kicks in at about 4V (2s pack) so you might get a flash and drop in brightness before everything goes black.

With unprotected li-ions you don't get the sudden shut off, but you will kill your cells. Don't remember how sensitive LiFePO4s are to over discharging..