Need Sub-$50 Flashlight ASAP

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I hope you are doing well.

As a gift, a friend needs a flashlight that costs $50 as soon as possible. I usually do my own research for these issues, but he needs it within a week and I know that the people here are much more experienced and knowledgeable than I am.

Can anyone recommend some flashlights that are small (travel-sized), are under $50 (shipping included, if possible), and are powerful? I'm a bit worried about shipping time and may end up getting one on Amazon.com because I have prime shipping. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have had Fenix and like them, so I'm looking at http://amzn.to/fenixlights

Thank you very much!

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you give us more detail as to what or how your friend might use the light? This would greatly help us to give good recommendations.

-Robert

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replying, RobertM.

I'd say mostly for outdoors, such as hiking and camping. He will most likely leave it in his car, and he drives to places he's never been before, so it may come in handy during those times, as well. Thanks!

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
After some research, I am interested in the Fenix LD20 205 Lumen LED Flashlight located at www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD20-205-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B004CXNY3G/

I know $59.95 is a bit over budget, but it seems like a good buy and the $59.95 includes shipping and sales tax. If anyone knows of a better flashlight for a better deal (I'm sure there are some out there!), please let me know. Thanks.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
After some research, I am interested in the Fenix LD20 205 Lumen LED Flashlight located at www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD20-205-Lumen-Flashlight/dp/B004CXNY3G/

I know $59.95 is a bit over budget, but it seems like a good buy and the $59.95 includes shipping and sales tax. If anyone knows of a better flashlight for a better deal (I'm sure there are some out there!), please let me know. Thanks.

The Fenix LD20 is an excellent choice, I would say easily the best in that price range. The AA format is a huge plus as well. Note though, there are several different versions of this light, the "R5" version being the newest. However, there is very little difference between the various models of LD20, only difference is slightly different emmitters. During a blind test so to speak, you more than likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix LD20 is an excellent choice, I would say easily the best in that price range. The AA format is a huge plus as well. Note though, there are several different versions of this light, the "R5" version being the newest. However, there is very little difference between the various models of LD20, only difference is slightly different emmitters. During a blind test so to speak, you more than likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.
Thanks for your input, ebow86. Is there a cheaper place to get the flashlight, or a similar flashlight for a lower price? I'm familiar with Fenix, but of course am perfectly open to other manufacturer options. Thanks.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is amazon will be your best bet as far as buying and shipping. Although it's stretching your budget a little bit, I think the LD20 is really worth it IMO, and the few extra dollars it cost will be all forgotten about once the light is recieved.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your input, ebow86. Is there a cheaper place to get the flashlight, or a similar flashlight for a lower price? I'm familiar with Fenix, but of course am perfectly open to other manufacturer options. Thanks.

You should also look at the Streamlight Protac 2AA (model# 88033). Right now, they are going for $35 with free shipping on Amazon. IMHO, this light is every bit as good as the LD20 you were looking at. It is $24 cheaper than the Fenix, and the Streamlight has a better warranty. I carry the 1AA version and absolutely love it.

mjw2

Newly Enlightened
May I suggest Shiningbeam's Pocket Rocket XM-L coming in at a whopping 530 Lumens. Has three modes High > Medium > Low, and is run off of 2Cr123 batteries. Comes with accessories: holster, 1 spare tactical switch, lanyard, O-rings, and G.I.T.D tailcaps for only $39.75!!! Whaaaaaat...under budget!

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-182/**NEW**--P-dsh-Rocket-XM-dsh-L/Detail

Or, May I suggest Jetbeam's BA10. Powered by ONE DOUBLE A BATTERY! A stunning 160 Lumens (enough to light up road signs from 100ft+) 2 Modes High> Low, Aero grade aluminium alloy construction, waterproof, all good for camping/hiking! AND, a sweet little pocket clip to give it a exquisite look. All for the low low price of $38.90..good God I think we have a WINNER!

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-256/**NEW**-JETBeam-BA10-XP-dsh-G/Detail

As usual, keep us posted on what you decide, and good luck on the hunting :)

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, TomH & mjw2, for your input.

I was looking at the Streamlight Protac 2AA earlier before I thought about the Fenix and am considering it now. The two lights at ShiningBeam I am not familiar with whatsoever, but will look into them.

Other suggestions would be nice. In the meantime, I'll be researching more into the ones posted above. Thanks!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are in the U.S.A. then check CPF dealers such as Bugout Gear, Going Gear, 4 Sevens, Battery Junction. They all give good service and shipping.
Klarus is another brand to check out.

Last edited:

Jackasper

Enlightened
Hi MaSTAVIC and welcome to CPF. All the above are good lights, you won't be dissapointed with any of them. I could throw in my two cents but i'll spend it by telling you that if you order it from any of the above mentioned dealers including Lighthound, Oveready, Illumination Gear, to not forget to mention you are a CPF member and they will give you a discount code that is usually worth an extra 5-15% off. Almost everyone of these dealers will ship it to you within 2-3 days...

MaStAViC

Newly Enlightened
Hi MaSTAVIC and welcome to CPF. All the above are good lights, you won't be dissapointed with any of them. I could throw in my two cents but i'll spend it by telling you that if you order it from any of the above mentioned dealers including Lighthound, Oveready, Illumination Gear, to not forget to mention you are a CPF member and they will give you a discount code that is usually worth an extra 5-15% off. Almost everyone of these dealers will ship it to you within 2-3 days...
Thanks, Jackasper, that is a great thing to know. I actually am aware of it, but I'm sure I would have forgotten if you didn't remind me. By the way, I've been a registered member of this forum for over six years, although I do not post all that often, unfortunately. Do know that I appreciate the users here and that this is one of the most helpful forums on the Internet!

Last edited:

TomH

Newly Enlightened
After hours of careful consideration, I am about to purchase the Streamlight Protac 2AA (model# 88033) available at Amazon.com for $35.10 with free shipping (www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88033-Tactical-Flashlight-Batteries/dp/B003GXF9OA/).

Can someone confirm that this would be a good purchase, or if I should not. Any reply regarding this would be nice. Thank you!

Excellent choice.

If I were in the market for a 2AA flashlight, the Protac 2AA would be at the top of my list.

Great price for a great light.

RCantor

Enlightened
You know your needs best. Here's one comment you want to take note of:

According to the printing on the package I received and the manufacturer's website the run time on high is not 11.25 hrs, in fact according both places run time on high isn't even 2 hours.

Also note, the output starts to fall immediately and is down to 75 lumens in 1.5hrs, and down to 12 lumens at 1.75hrs and batteries are fully depleted prior to 2hrs.