ARC AAA Cleaning tube after battery exploded: TIPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empath

Flashaholic
I've used steel wool to clean it, after my turguoise AAA got a battery leak. It seemed to work pretty well.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
baking soda will neutralize acid yes. if the acid has dried then you will need to re-activate it with some moisture to get the reaction to occour to neuralize the acid.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
I tossed in baking soda as soon as I took the head off, it was still liquid.

Baking soda = natures wonder... nutralizes acid, puts out grease fire and it even deoderizes fridges and freezers!

onelight

Enlightened
do you have a gun cleaning kit? A bore brush and patches might work well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif AAA looks to be about 9mm or 357 handy size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Baking soda will neutralize acid, but these are "alkaline" batteries right?

So you need an acid solution to neutralize an alkaline solution.

I'm not sure I'd bother, I'd just soak the heck out of it. Scrub with a piece of scotchbright pad. Steel wool can create it's own set of problems.

GregR

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
If my chemistry lessons stuck I believe you could use common vinegar to counter the alkaline battery goo. Vinegar is acetic acid. Just be very sure to flush it out thoroughly.

kev1-1

Enlightened
Duracell...that is surprising!! I always thought that you were pretty safe with duracell.

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened
The Duracell that came with my LSH - P leaked, spreading crud all over the place. That one took a lot of scraping to get clean.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ARC AAA Cleaning tube after battery exploded:

Duracell will repair or replace (or pay for ) any device damaged by using their brand of batteries. (As will most of the major battery brands). I've had "claims" with both Duracell and Energizer. They will also reimburse you for the shipping to send it back. Duracell even sent me a coupon for batteries with the check from a damaged camera.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
kitelights said:
Duracell will repair or replace (or pay for ) any device I've had "claims" with both Duracell and Energizer. They will also reimburse you for the shipping to send it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does it ential? I already tossed the battery, and I doubt I have the costco reciept for the pack of batteries I bought or even the package they came in... so I'm thinking I'm S.O.L.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are not out of luck Datasaurusrex, you bought an Arc. Please let us send you another battery tube. Send Merri or I an email with your shiping address please. Sorry for not posting here earlier.

Peter

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Again - UNHEARD OF SERVICE.

Anybody on this forum in the media? Write a press release.

I have never, ever heard of ANY manufacturer of ANY product that would repair or replace due to a leaking battery. (except the battery manf)

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

FYI for the future - You do have to have the cell to return with the defective item. (or in the item) Just contact them via email on their website and they'll give you instructions for sending it back. You'll need a sales receipt or print a page from a website to show pricing on the item. I include that with a cover letter and also state your shipping charges and that you want to be reimbursed for them.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Normally we would leave damage caused by batteries to the battery manufacturer. I was just being neighborly.

Peter

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Wow, now I feel even better for having bought one of the new AAs!!!

And I have a great story to tell at Xmas time when I hand out all the AAAs that I bought for people.

Unfortunatly I'll have to decline your generous offer Peter. This AAA in questions was my first Arc purchase (putting my toe in the water so to speak) and is actually a factory second... Thus it doesn't even have a Arc warranty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

But the good news is that it impressed me so much that I bought a bunch more Arc products and made sure they were firsts! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Thanks again for the offer, you guys (and gals) at Arc are great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Dcon67

Newly Enlightened

ugh...My dad threw away the AAA I gave him for xmas last year due to the battery leaking in it so bad he couldn't even get the battery out of the tube.

Live and learn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.