Regulated Led that won't break the Bank

Severe

Newly Enlightened
Regulated Led that won\'t break the Bank

I do not yet have a regulated led light. I would like to know what would be the best regulated led light with plenty of brightness, throw or no throw, and a price that would not cause me to take out a loan. In other words cheap and good. Does this exist? Severe

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Regulated Led that won\'t break the Bank

Badboy sandwich for your minimag. That's the cheapest solution I can think of right now.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would agree with Isaac,
A Badboy 400 or 500 would be the cheapest way to go. If you don't want the brightest thing on the block, Wayne is selling the BB400 for $32. If you want brighter go with the Q3L version and throw it in a Brinkmann Legend. That will get you in the ballparck for under $50.
Another option would be a Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D. It uses a micropuck voltage regulator with Fraen optics and is very bright. It will also run over 24 hours on a set of D cells so feeding the $50 light will be inexpensive.
If lithiums don't bother you, get an Arc LS second (it will have blemishes on the anodising or not be perfect) they run $50.

onelight

Enlightened

Severe one to keep in mind that is not in the bright category is the opalec newbeam it is a mini-mag upgrade with 3-5mm leds it also has a small red led that lights when the batts are low enough for it to drop out of regulation, great little long run (10hr or more) light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I agree with onelight. If price-per-performance is the objective, you can not go wrong with the NewBeam. As a matter of fact, it's the best regulated light to date. Nothing out there runs as flat as the NewBeam.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Depends on how bright you want it.

I have the BB400 and it is pretty bright, but for most uses, I actually prefer my PT Attitude 3 LED light. At the time I got it, I had decided I wanted the plastic, compact body more than the regulation of the Opalec (I use NiMHs and when it gets a little dim...I just recharge). Once I got it, I decided from use that it is almost the perfect amount of light. Bright enough for almost all uses but not so bright as to overwhelm for a task light (the BB400 kinda does).

So...if I wanted a regulated, AA based light, I think I'd recommend the Newbeam as well.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree with the bad boy recommendations. While I prefer my smaller E1/KL1 or ArcLS, my badboy 500 in a mini-mag has performed flawlessly. Plus you can use rechargeable AA's with no/very little drop in brighness for an ultimate cost effective light.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Go to the Reviews Forum and look in the sticky "Runtime Plots". There's runtime plots on at least 12 lights that are regulated to a flat line and many others that are regulated to give a gently sloaping plot.