I just had one of the most memorable father + son + flashlight moments...

samuraishot

Enlightened
So my wife is a matron-of-honor for her friend's wedding tomorrow and she and the bridesmaids decided to stay overnight at the hotel where the ceremony is. This meant that she would leave me and our 1 1/2 year old son alone for the first time since he was born.

She left in the afternoon and I had to take him everywhere I went for the rest of the day and surprisingly he was pretty well behaved.

We got home quite late and I could tell he was getting sleepy so it was now for the hard part - putting him to bed. Usually we have a tough time getting him to sleep since he tries to fight his sleepiness and tries to stay up.

So now he's in his pajamas and I shut off the lights and click on my EDC to it's lowest setting, which is about .2 lumens and barely enough light to see anything, but has just enough light to cast a soft glow to wherever it's pointing. Now, like most of CPFers here whose children loves their flashaholic dad's (and mom's) lights, my son loves messing with my lights.

So I hand him my light and next comes the most awesome 10 minutes. He takes my light and slowly scans the entire bedroom with it. He would point it to his hand and 'examine' his hand. He pointed it to my face and just stared at me. He was observing everything with the light. It's hard to explain, but for some odd reason it was so surreal seeing my son, as young as he is, so extremely observant and calm just looking at things with the flashlight.

After about 10 minutes he then extended his arm and pointed the light to the bed and slowly (about 20-30 seconds) started to bring the bezel down until it was face down on the bed and the room was pitch black. He had fallen asleep with my flashlight in his hand.

This may sound corny, but I will never forget that moment. Just wanted to share this with everyone.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice story. When my son was about that age I handed him a 3d maglite- it was almost too big for him to carry!- and we went and played in his room. He'd just learned the word "dark" and its context. After inspecting his cupboard and under his bed I asked him "what happens when you turn the torch off?". He shouted "Dark!" and promptly turned the light off to prove it to me. That was fun :)

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Absolutely magical! My daughter turns three today, and she's already playing with her two new flashlights. :thumbsup:

samuraishot

Enlightened
Priceless.:thumbsup:

It truly was priceless!
Awesome story, Samurai!

Thanks, AOW!

That's a nice story. When my son was about that age I handed him a 3d maglite- it was almost too big for him to carry!- and we went and played in his room. He'd just learned the word "dark" and its context. After inspecting his cupboard and under his bed I asked him "what happens when you turn the torch off?". He shouted "Dark!" and promptly turned the light off to prove it to me. That was fun :)

Thanks, mvyrmnd! Your story is nice too; I can't wait for my boy to learn the concept of dark and light too!

Great story, put a smile in my face.
:)

I'm glad it did, Ian :)

Absolutely magical! My daughter turns three today, and she's already playing with her two new flashlights. :thumbsup:

Happy 3rd birthday to your little girl, Tiggercat! I gotta get some flashlights for my son too. It's funny because I'm so careful with my lights and try my best to keep them from damage, but I can't help it when my son wants to play with my light, and so I give it to him. The first time he threw it, it dented my brand new McTc tailcap. The second time he threw it, it created a small gash in the bezel. Funny thing is it doesn't bother me that he did that, but I know that if I was the one who damaged my light, I'd be mad at myself for a few days haha

samuraishot

Enlightened
Great story! I'm waiting for the day my grandson is old enough to stay overnight so we can go for a walk in dark w/ flashlights.

Thanks ^Gurthang! Walks like that are awesome, especially when they enjoy it so much they don't wanna go back inside the house hehe

DREW297

Newly Enlightened
Great moments in life are sometimes the most simple.
These moments are indeed priceless and all to rare.
I am honored that you shared it with us and thank you.
Drew

samuraishot

Enlightened
Great moments in life are sometimes the most simple.
These moments are indeed priceless and all to rare.
I am honored that you shared it with us and thank you.
Drew

Yes, totally agree. It's one thing to have fun with our kids, but moments like this stand out. I'm glad I decided to share it with all of you. I was a little hesitant since it was such a personal thing, but, again, I'm glad I shared it.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
very nice story, but I'm still thinking...what if he accidentally hit Strobe mode, yikes, gonna be up for awhile!

samuraishot

Enlightened
This is an awesome story buddy. I hope there is many more to come and I'm sure someday he will remember it and log on here.
Steven

Thanks! I hope so too, that way there will be at least someone in my family who shares the same hobby.

very nice story, but I'm still thinking...what if he accidentally hit Strobe mode, yikes, gonna be up for awhile!

Haha he's done that a few times before when messing with my flashlight. I'm sure glad it didn't happen though, or else we would've been up probably for another hour!

Darvis

Enlightened
Great story and I can totally relate as my 3 year old Son and 2 year old Daughter Love to use their lights to help me find the things they "lose" all over the house... They lose things on purpose just so we can break out the lights!!!

samuraishot

Enlightened
Great story and I can totally relate as my 3 year old Son and 2 year old Daughter Love to use their lights to help me find the things they "lose" all over the house... They lose things on purpose just so we can break out the lights!!!

I have feeling as my son gets older he's gonna be doing the same thing :party:

Golden, absolutely golden moment. Thanks for sharing. Wow.

While driving to the reception, which was at San Francisco City Hall :eek:oo: I shared the story with my wife and some bridesmaids and they absolutely melted :D