Can a Fireman use a metal flashlight

stoli67

Enlightened
Any fireman out there?

I have a friend who just got into the Australian Firebrigade.

I wanted to get him a light as a gift. Then I thought maybe one of those surefires with the composite body might be better than a metal light.

Any thoughts?

tolkaze

Enlightened
I'm not sure about the regular fire brigade, but I know that the bush fire brigade were changing to more intrinsically safe equipment a couple of years ago. My guess is that play it safe and get a nitrolon surefire to keep it safe.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Lights with approval for use in explosive environments seem always "underpowered". There are two problems:
  1. Classic metallic lights can cause sparks if they fall down, therefore the manufacturers use plastic for the bodies. Plastic doesn't offer the cooling necessary for a light with 200 or more Lumen from an LED.
  2. The certification is very expensive, You can't release a new light every Year because every little change (LED-type) requires a new certification.

Fire brigades should provide lights for use in explosive environments. On many missions it is no problem to use normal flashlights, so it would be no problem to gift a metallic flashlight to a fireman.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a UK 4AA eLED CPO, and it's very bright -- around 120 lumens to start, dropping to around 70 lumens after heating up.

Safety ratings: CL I, II, III DIV 1 GROUP A-G, T4 Exia

tolkaze

Enlightened
  1. Classic metallic lights can cause sparks if they fall down, therefore the manufacturers use plastic for the bodies.

Yeah, We have the same problem with equipment underground in coal mines. Aluminium is strictly forbidden due to the nature of the spark when it is struck against something (creates a "hot" spark) however steel is okay. Still creates a spark but is generally considered a "cold" spark.

So you may be able to get a SS light running AA's or something, or more likely a polymer light with a low to medium powered dropin, but a full power aluminium light running lithiums may be out of the question. Best way to get an answer would be to call up the local station and ask, someone would know

stoli67

Enlightened
How about a G2 Nitrolon and then a Malkoff M61 drop in ....

That way RCR123s can be used....

I would be loathed to buy something with no rechargable option....

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geese those lights are all pretty underpowered.....
There is a simple rule for intrinsically safe equipment. Under 24V. Less than 1A. Otherwise the heat may be enough to ignite flammable gasses.

XPG run at 1.5A. SSC-P7, MCE, XML all run at 3A. SST-40 at 5A SST-90 at 9A. So most of CPF's current favourites are too powerful to be safe.

Most of the fire lights have very tight beams to cut through smoke. So in a smoky environment can outperform lights with more lumens.
The floody beams from P7, MCE, XML would just reflect off the smoke and blind the user.

AusKipper

Enlightened
Im in the Australian fire brigade (Victoria) and, here at least, we can only use lights on a fireground that are approved by the CFA.

Any light you give him aside from a Streamlight Propolymer (which he probably already has) he wont be able to use unfortunately.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should ask him out of curiosity what are the restrictions (if any) for flashlights in his brigade, then you can offer a 100% perfect gift.

Erzengel

Enlightened
If he has a lot of non-fire missions like traffic accidents, disaster relief or search and rescue, he will have a lot of possibilities to use a high power metallic light. If he is on a fireground, he can still use the officially provided light.

wuyeah

Enlightened
Didn't they use headlamp? I don't think they got free hand to hold a flashlight.

flag-day-025.jpg

europa

Newly Enlightened
Their are specific flashlight models designed by both Surefire and Streamlight. I would suggest sticking with one of those to play it safe. Can't go wrong with either one.

Mr Bigglow

Enlightened
For a nontheoretical answer to this question, one could always ask the particular fire service involved. Just don't use 911 and I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you. Drop by a station if you can't reach someone by phone, which can happen.

Last edited:

Lord Bear

Enlightened
stoli67...Is this a flashaholic's "gift"? :whistle: If so, perhaps focussing on what your firefighter friend might consider..."Now THIS is a BAD*** flashlight!"...should be considered. :)

lccet

Newly Enlightened
Of course they can use metal flashlight when they search the survivals.