LD01 owners - can I see your beamshots?

tony22

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying out my recently received LD01 SS and began looking closely at its beam pattern. I'm not sure, but at about 3 feet away from a white wall I think I can make out a couple of things that have me wondering. First, it seems the hotspot is slightly malformed - like it's not really round. And the second is that it almost looks like there is some light "wispy" fringing around the outer limit of the spill circle. When I pull the light away further I still get the impression the hot spot is not really round, but the weird wispiness goes away.

I tried to find as many beamshots as I could here, but I was wondering if other LD01 owners could maybe post a few more for comparison's sake? If so, thanks in advance.

BTW, I will try to post a pic of my own later today or tomorrow.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Last edited:

tony22

Newly Enlightened
I'll admit that sage advice, Norm, but the engineer in me is curious. :)

hwc

Newly Enlightened
Well, I got a Fenix LD01 stainless steel light this week, too. I must confess that I've been so busy being amazed by what a solid little chunk of steel it is and how something on my keyring could put out that much light and be so effective as a little flood walking outside or lighting up a room in candle mode that I haven't given a moment's thought to the "beam shot". The thing is just so cool. Havinig the high output (77 lumen) mode is fantastic as it turns it into a "real" flashlight when you need some serious light. I love the thing.

I did put a little smaller split ring on it -- one that is small enough to freely pivot in the hole. That makes it stand on end a little easier. I also got a short chain to attach it to my key ring. Just easier to use with the keys are right up against it, although I probably haven't found exactly the right chain yet.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
With reflectors this small, it is common to have irregularities in the hotspot shape. Mine is a little wonky if I play with it and rotate the light while looking at it on the wall. But if I just set in down on it's tail and look at the beam on the ceiling, I can't notice anything out of symmetry.

My only gripe was the "coke bottle" green tint of the XP-G. I took Derek Dean's advice (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320811-Changing-LED-Tint-With-Filters) and picked up a set of Lee filters, and now have a very pleasing neutral tint on mine. I don't think the loss in brightness with the filter is much different from that of using the lower bin neutral emitter.

Latest posts