The amazing Photon Micro II

fishx65

Enlightened
Was changing out a few keys on my ring the other day and realized that I've had the same black Micro II on my key ring for about 8 years. It still looks and functions perfect!!!! These are not talked about on here very much these days but I wonder how many still carry them.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Count me in. After killing three Inova versions, I switched to Photon and never looked back. Bought them for all my family members, too.

hivoltage

Enlightened
Same here, I have 1 in my pocket at all times, 1 in each car, and they make great stocking stuffers so all my family and friends have 1. !!

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Like Tiggercat I bought all my friends and family Photons. But my keyring Photon finally died after...don't really know how long but it was at least 6plus years. I have replacements but in the last couple years Fenix's LD01 has taken taken the Photon's place. Photon's really are excellent considering size/weight/runtime/reliability.

hivoltage

Enlightened
You can replace batteries in them.
Like Tiggercat I bought all my friends and family Photons. But my keyring Photon finally died after...don't really know how long but it was at least 6plus years. I have replacements but in the last couple years Fenix's LD01 has taken taken the Photon's place. Photon's really are excellent considering size/weight/runtime/reliability.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon Freedom Microlight is the best keychain light made anywhere, IMO.
As bright or brighter than a E01.
WAAAAY lighter than a E01.
WAAAAY smaller than a E01
Longer runtime than a E01.
Costs no more than a E01.
Infinite ramping and mode switching that an E01 doesn't have.
Disappears in your pocket, which no other light can really do, even though alot claim it.

Nothing better on the keychain.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
You can replace batteries in them.

:) Wasnt the batteries. It was the switch. I think I only replaced batteries twice for the whole 6plus years it was on my keyring and only because it was dimmer than I liked, not because batts were exhausted.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
My keys always have a PhotonII uv, as I tend to give away any white one I also have, and I've not been to SHOT recently to buy a fresh stash.

My family, mates and team members have whites on their keys...

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a white Photon II on my keychain for the past 6-8 years. For a year or two before that I carried an Arc AAA, but it was too big (and the head would occasionally come unscrewed) for something I wanted to carry daily on my keychain.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love them, though last year I picked up a Rex and it's replaced the II and Freedom for almost all my uses. Same awesome UI as freedom, really bright, rechargeable. It's bigger than those two, but still small enough to ride on a keychain or in the pocket unnoticed

flasherByNight

Enlightened
The I is on sale for 6.57 (40% off)

Is the II that much better? for 6.57 seems worthwhile to pick up a few

*edit, nevermind. Doesn't seem like a particular good deal. Can get the II's for a couple bucks more

You can get a 10pack of knock offs for $.01 (and 4.99 shipping :p) on amazon though lol

Last edited:

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Photon's UI was always the kicker for me. Momentary (signalling! runtime!), Off/On switch. Then came the Freedom with...from OFF...clickon/clickoff, press to rampup. From max, press to rampdown. Clickoff. (Oh geez! I forgot how to Morse!)
Above all came reliability. (Of course that might be because I never dropped it into a fishbowl. Often.) :)

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the II that much better?
IMO it is. I have had a couple of the Photon 1's with their momentary-only switch, and while I only use the momentary switch about 90% of the time on my II, when I do use the constant-on switch on the Photon II it is really handy to have.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Was changing out a few keys on my ring the other day and realized that I've had the same black Micro II on my key ring for about 8 years. It still looks and functions perfect!!!! These are not talked about on here very much these days but I wonder how many still carry them.

I used to . . . until I needed to use it outside while there was a light rain. Replaced it with another one, and the same thing happened. Replaced that with a Streamlight Nano. Indeed, very water resistant. But the head unscrewed itself and fell off somewhere. So, replaced that with a Photon Freedom. Wow! Okay, it's more complicated than a Photon II. And if you want a coin-cell light mainly to use with a momentary-on feature, it's not ideal. In every other way, it is far superior to the Photon II. I've actually washed my Photon Freedom in running water with no problems at all.

Burgess

Flashaholic
This is a Very Timely thread !

Today, i replaced the original (2 x CR2016) batteries in my Photon Freedom light.

Replaced 'em with a single CR2032 battery, for longer life, at the expense of dimmer max. output.

However . . . .

Once i inserted the New battery, the light would STAY ON continuously !
Unable to switch it off.

Took it all apart, and re-assembled it all.

Same problem -- the light stays ON, and can't be switched off.

:hairpull::banghead::hairpull:

Repeated this process SEVERAL more times, and *finally* i managed to get it working correctly.

However -- i still don't know WHAT i did wrong (or right), to cause (and solve) the problem.

Since i still have several more Photon Freedoms needing a battery change . . . .

Can anybody offer me any Tips or Clues ? ? ?

Thank you, everyone, for your input and suggestions.
:thanks:

BTW -- the slogan inside my Photon said "Freedom of Speech".

BTW -- a 2032 battery still provides PLENTY of Light ! ! ! :thumbsup:

hazna

Enlightened

Today, i replaced the original (2 x CR2016) batteries in my Photon Freedom light.

Replaced 'em with a single CR2032 battery, for longer life, at the expense of dimmer max. output.

However . . . .

Unable to switch it off.

Repeated this process SEVERAL more times, and *finally* i managed to get it working correctly.

However -- i still don't know WHAT i did wrong (or right), to cause (and solve) the problem.

Since i still have several more Photon Freedoms needing a battery change . . . .

This is a guess, but perhaps the cr2032 are slightly thicker than 2x2016. I seem to remember when changing some cheap fauxtons to cr2032, I had problems getting the light to turn off on cr2032. I had to bend the wires slightly so they did not contact as easily...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

However . . . .

Unable to switch it off.

If you are not careful enough, you can bend the flat metal contact piece which sits in the middle of the light(inside). Or you can move it out of its positioning groove. Then, the switch is defeated because the metal contact piece sticks up too much and contacts the battery all the time, instead of only when you press the switch.
After many battery changes with my old original Photon 1(still working after about 10 years), I started having this issue with the contact piece, and sometimes it also stayed off all the time, even when I pushed the switch. It might have been just from it wearing out from years of use. I eventually had to resort to thin non-conductive shims inside it, to restore the proper working relationships in the mechanism. But, it still works.

Flic

Enlightened
:) Wasnt the batteries. It was the switch. I think I only replaced batteries twice for the whole 6plus years it was on my keyring and only because it was dimmer than I liked, not because batts were exhausted.

Replacement switches are available. I've got one or two spare ones If you still have the light I'll send you one free.