Best LED light that will run on AA Ni-Cad recharg

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened
What is the best LED light that will run on Rechargable Ni-Cad AA's?

Streamlight Twin Task 2 AA? How anbout an Arc LSH with the AA conversion?

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best LED light that will run on AA Ni-Cad rech

AR15,
The BEST would be a Stoplight with a Madmax+ R2H or Badboy 500 R2H sandwich. Nothing like CNC machined goodness. The Arc LSH with two AA conversion should do the trick since the Stoplights are not available.

franken2

Newly Enlightened

I believe the only aa powered light i own that won't work on ni-cad or nimh is the white 1 watt inretech drop-in minimag upgrade. a great unit, the inability to use rechargeables being the only negative i could find.
toying with a browning branded lightwave 2100 purchased today at tanner's sporting goods in jamison,pa. $30 over the counter.
been on 9hrs now on 3aa panasonic 1600 mah nimhs and expect many more hrs runtime.
hard to resist a quality led light hanging on a peg wherever i shop
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AR15Fan

Newly Enlightened

This may be a moot post becuase I cant find Ni-cad rechargables at my local stores. Will the NiMH rechargables work with the older charging units which were desighned for Ni-Cad?

ChrisA

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Will the NiMH rechargeables work with the older charging units which were designed for Ni-Cad?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it won't work well. NiMHs are much more sensitive to overcharge than NiCads and therefore require better charge controllers. If you drop the newer cells in an old timer controlled ('dumb') charger it will likely kill them within a few cycles.
IMHO, best choice would be to shop around for a decent charger (delta-v control and temperature monitoring) and some 1800-2000 mAh NiMHs, since these are reasonable priced as opposed to the 'high end' cells.

Chris

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

i know many who swear by the badboy line of dropins.

the badboy is designed to cut off before draining the bats too far and hurting them.

post a message in the sandwich shoppe forum for more specifics.

Bob

doubleganger

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
franken2 said:
I believe the only aa powered light i own that won't work on ni-cad or nimh is the white 1 watt inretech drop-in minimag upgrade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way do they not work. nimh work fine for me. Well, actually the only inretech I have right now is a 1 watt cyan, but it seems to do just fine with nimh batteries.

Empath

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
AR15Fan said:
This may be a moot post becuase I cant find Ni-cad rechargables at my local stores. Will the NiMH rechargables work with the older charging units which were desighned for Ni-Cad?

[/ QUOTE ]

NiCd cells are still being sold at Radio Shacks. If you have a Batteries Plus store in your area, they also sell them.

onelight

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
doubleganger said:
[ QUOTE ]
franken2 said:
]

In what way do they not work. nimh work fine for me. Well, actually the only inretech I have right now is a 1 watt cyan, but it seems to do just fine with nimh batteries.

[/ QUOTE ] The Inretechs will run fine but not near as bright as lith.AA cells

franken2

Newly Enlightened

hhmm? neither of my 2 white inre-tech adapters do more than a very faint glow with fully charged 1600 mah nimh's. mine are older models, came without the o-ring as i recall.
they run GREAT on lithium and one stays in the glovebox with an extra set of lithiums nearby.
do the newer inre-tech aa whites work on nimh? mike??