Quark 123*2 - "X" vs "R5" vs "S2" - I own all three versions now

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Quark 123*2 - "X" vs "R5" vs "S2" - I own all three versions now

I just got my new Quark 123*2 "X", with the XM-L emitter. I now own all three emitter versions of this great little light, the "X" and the "R5" and the "S2". All three of mine are the 'Tactical' versions.

I thought I would post a few general observations about the three lights.

They seem absolutely identical in size and weight. The R5 and the S2 produce similar beams and output, but the S2 tint (on mine) is much greener. The new "X" tint is cool white, and the hotspot on the "X" is much larger than the other two emitters, with more lumens overall. I would say the hotspot Lux (luminous power per area) in all three are similar, but with my naked eye, I would have to say the Lux on the R5 and S2 is slightly higher than the X.

If you need a floody hotspot, then the "X" is the way to go.

One other thing I noticed is the 'defensive' strobe on the "X" oscillates noticeably slower than the other two. To me, the "X" strobe appears not quite as disorienting as the R5 or S2 strobes.

It's a tough choice, but for now, the R5 version remains my preferred EDC light and is in my pocket at all times......

quarks-three.jpg

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Re: Quark 123*2 - "X" vs "R5" vs "S2" - I own all three versions now

Does the "X" still have the pre-flash ?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, with similar lux but more output, I'd have thought the X would have bumped the xp-gr5... are you sticking with the r5 due to the strobe?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened

Hmm, with similar lux but more output, I'd have thought the X would have bumped the xp-gr5... are you sticking with the r5 due to the strobe?

Yeah, I think the strobe is noticeably better on the R5 (MHO), plus I'm using CR123 primaries, so they'll likely last longer with the R5.

tony22

Newly Enlightened

Chevy-SS, it sounds like the XM-L would be better when used for lighting up as much of a broad area as possible. Would you agree? Any chance you could do an outdoor assessment to see which one goes the furthest?