Need expert help :-)

stefanb

Newly Enlightened
Hello.
I am the owner of 2 led flashlights.
One with a cree xp-g r5 and one with a cree xm-l t6.
I bought the cree xm-l t6 because i thought it would be brighter than the xp-g r5, but I dont think it is.
If I want one thats brighter than theese two what shuold I look after then??

I found this one BR3000 LED Flashlight, Made of Aircraft-grade Aluminum Material, with High Power Over 1000lm Luminous Flux

What do you people think about this one?

Regards stefan.

Sales link replaced with description - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think you should start reading reviews in the LED forum and make choices based upon the following criteria (not necessarily in this order)
1)battery type/amount (1AA, 2xCR123, 18650, etc)
2)maximum output (highest level)
3)runtimes at levels/output wanted (200 lumens for 1 hour etc)
4)material used to make the light (plastic, aluminum, titanium, SS)
5)cost and warranty
6)quality and durability pertaining to your usage
7)throw vs flood, color rendition (typically an LED emitter/reflector/optics choice)
8)accessories needed to use/fuel the light (batteries, chargers, lanyard/holders)
9)upgradability (if you mod them for better emitter/tints later)
10)reselling value (if you think you will want to stay on the cutting edge in the future)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Lynx Arc is right...you should start reading and doing some research, however I may be able to comment on the brand name as I recently purchased a Brinyte XML-900 and am quite pleased with it. The quality of manufacture is on par with many more expensive lights even if the finish is not great...it might be type II but I'm not certain. I notice you did not give us a model or brand of the two lights you actually own. Maybe there is a reason your xml light doesn't appear brighter that is unrelated to how you are using it.

Oh and welcome to the forums.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Personally I would avoid no name lights unless you want to go through half a dozen of them before you get a good one or give up and buy a light that from a known manufacturer with a decent review on it.

stefanb

Newly Enlightened
I ended up with buying the Brinyte BR-3000 3xT6.
But I am very disapointed with it. The quality of the pieces are what you would expect for the price.
But the person who assambled it seems to be missing a lot skills!

I can post pictures later and you will see what I mean.

But that is not the worst thing. I bought it because I wanted at very bright flashlight. And on the webpage it said that the batteries and the xml leds was in series and that it would draw 3A. Wich would make it very bright i thought.

But the batteries was not in series and either was the leds. And the driver was only capable of delivering 2.8A wich is only 0,93A for each led. - Not brighter than my old flashlight with only 1x xml

But I decided to disassamle it and modify it by getting the batteries and leds in series. But I ended up breaking the leds because it was glued together. It was impossible to disassamle without breaking it.

So now I am left with a broken flashlight. But I have already ordered 3 new xml leds and I am planning to make it work again but this time with the leds and batteries in series.
Would this not be the way to connect them: ??
3xP7DriverSetupb.jpg

davyro

Enlightened
:welcome:If i was to give you advice i wouldn't be throwing good money after something bad,what i would do if i was you is check out the reviews section on
CPF,there you will find reviews on every kind of light you can think of.Selfbuilt does the best flashlight reviews in all of the flashlight world,if his reviews
can't point you in the right direction no one can.

stefanb

Newly Enlightened
But the only thing bad about it was the way it was assambled. I am sure I can do much better.
The housing seems to be great quality. And the driver is capable of delivering 2.8A so the rest must be up to myself...

What do you think about the diagram for connecting the leds in series? I found it here on CPF...

-Stefan