Looking for a good 3AAA light

Rhapsun

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a light that uses 3AAA batteries. I prefer the slightly thicker barrel than a light that uses 2AA batteries. I'm using a Led Lenser 7736 right now but I want something that offers low and high power and regulates the power. If the 7736 had those two capabilities it would be perfect for my intended use.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Never seen a good 3XAAA light, to this point anyway.

Weak battery carriers with high resistance and no regulation are the unfortunate norm for this form factor as far as I'm aware. Perhaps someone can enlighten me if there are quality options around?

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the MAG XL lights such as the http://www.maglite.com/maglite_xl200_led.asp?

mag-2.jpg

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
If you like that form factor, I would look towards a cr123 light and skip 3aaa lights. I have the same lenser and much prefer single or 2aa or cr123. Take a look at a 4 sevens quark aa tactical.. I think youde like it.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good 3AAA light, that's almost an oxymoron... I would agree with the Mag suggestion just because of their reputation and warranty...

Danielsan

Enlightened
The thing is what benefit you will have from 3xAAA? or why you are so focused to 3xAAA? Why not 1xA? If you like thicker barrels then i would say ZL Q50 with 4xAA or ZL SC51 with 200 Lumen and 1xA, no 3xAAA light is brighter - only bigger

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I would agree with the Mag suggestion just because of their reputation and warranty...

Well, that and the fact that the XL200 is a fabulous performer. 172 lumens (ANSi) 4700 candela beam intensity. 138 meter throw. Plus infinitely variable light output so you can go from full torch to very low or anywhere in between. I can't think of another $40 flashlight that performs better than that.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't tried the XL200, but I prefer the simpler interface of the XL50 over the XL100. The XL50 is slightly brighter than the XL100, too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
3AAA = hassle. If they could make a 3AAA that didn't require cartridges and something to pry the batteries out with they wouldn't be quite as bad. The power contained in 1AA is about equal to 2.5 AAAs and cost the same as 1AAA does. If you use lower output levels a lot it makes little sense to invest in 3AAA lights a 1AA would be smaller, easier to replace batteries and run 2/3 as long at the same power levels with no chance at reverse charge damaging a battery.

JacobJones

Enlightened
I don't know if there are any regulated ones with several modes, I used to like the 3AAA form factor aswell but could never find good ones. Since I got a 1 AA torch I don't even bother looking at 3AAA lights anymore.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also doubtful about 3AAA lights. I have 3: a cheap 9x5mm LED, a Ledlenser and a Maglite XL100. I agree with that the body thickness is good, but the performance of 3AAA is worse than 2AA. I actually wondered if I could modify the Ledlenser and Maglite to be runned by 1xCR123 cell.

But yes; Solarforce L2i I would recommend if one wants a 3AAA light. I had it earlier but gave it to a friend.

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
3AAA = hassle. If they could make a 3AAA that didn't require cartridges and something to pry the batteries out with they wouldn't be quite as bad.

I don't know what's a hassle. I have a plastic holder from Thomas Distributing that holds two sets of three charged AAA eneloops (for my XL200 or Petzl headlamp) plus a pair of charged eneloops (for my Fenix LD01). I can charge 8 AAAs at a time in a Maha charger. The batteries dont require "prying" out of the cartridge. It's actually easier to get them out of the MAG cartridge than to get them out of the Maha charger.

Now, if you don't have AAA eneloops or a AAA charger, then it could be a hassle. But, it would be just as much of a hassle for me to to go with a Lithium-ion battery size that I don't a charger for.

Last edited:

hwc

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried the XL200, but I prefer the simpler interface of the XL50 over the XL100. The XL50 is slightly brighter than the XL100, too.

The XL50 is a very cool 105 lumen light for under $30. I can see them replacing the XL100 with a light that has the XL200's Cree xp-g LED and 172 lumen output with the XL50's simple interface. Or, maybe the XL50 just gets upgraded.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LED Lenser T7.

Downsides: Not very water-resistant, and LL models tend to carry a premium when buying new.

If cost isn't a big issue, and you don't plan on using the light outdoors while it's raining; this is the only decent 3AAA form-factor light I've ever found. (You still have to deal with a fragile battery-carrier. But that's across the board with all 3AAA lights.)

Best you're going to do in terms of quality is "decent." There are no "good" 3AAA lights.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the form factor, wouldn't an 18650 light be about the same size? There are lots of quality 18650 lights out there.

--flatline

Latest posts