Big gun thrower?

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys
I'm looking for a big led thrower that comes with the standard gun mounting accessories.
Needs:
250-300 meters / yards visible target.
Gun mounting available, tape switch mounts, charger, batteries etc.
Weight, not really a issue, will be used on and off a quad bike.
Duration, not really a issue, carry more batteries.
Price under under $350 with all extras.

So far the Jetbeam M2s 1000lumens seems to fit the bill but I can't seem to find any others, anyone have any recommendations?

hamhead

Banned
Hey guys
I'm looking for a big led thrower that comes with the standard gun mounting accessories.
Needs:
250-300 meters / yards visible target.
Gun mounting available, tape switch mounts, charger, batteries etc.
Weight, not really a issue, will be used on and off a quad bike.
Duration, not really a issue, carry more batteries.
Price under under $350 with all extras.

So far the Jetbeam M2s 1000lumens seems to fit the bill but I can't seem to find any others, anyone have any recommendations?

olight m3x...

olight m3x....

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other 2x18650 battery size:
1) Surefire UB3T throws 400 meters as tested by Selfbuilt.
Surefires do NOT use a conventional clear glass lens, but uses special lens with Total Internal Reflection TIR to maximise throw, but has minimal spill as a trade off.
See Selfbuilt photo below.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...123A)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIMES-ANALYSIS-more!
2) Olight M3X mentioned above.
3) Eagletac M3C4 XM-L 384 meters throw as tested by Selfbuilt.
4) Thrunite Catapult V2 or V3; V2 429 meters throw; V3 402 meters throw but more floody.

3x18650 battery size:
1) Jetbeam RRT-3 SST-50; 700+ yards claimed; no one really tested.
2) Sunwayman V60C XM-L 395 meters claimed.
3) Jetbeam RRT-3 XM-L 345 meters claimed.

6x18650 battery size:
Olight SR-90 @ 634 meters tested by Selfbuilt.

UB3T033.jpg

Last edited:

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
Its not LED but if you lived in Australia I would recommend one of these:

http://www.lightforce.com/products/portable-systems/rmsm-rmsgriflescopeandshotgunmountedspotlights

Not sure if they sell them in the US though. Main advantage of this setup is the battery and the light are separated so you get excellent output without weighing down your rifle.

Yes Aussie here, I like the look of this and may be a option, I was really looking for a nice flashlight that will also serve as a good gun mount spot. bit of versitility in one light. not always to be used shooting. but this has potential, may get it anyway for the quad, you could load it up with some grunt.

Last edited:

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
1) Surefire UB3T, Over $600 think I will pass.

2) Olight M3X mentioned above. , Looking like a winner so far..

3) Eagletac M3C4 XM-L . Couldn't find this one so don't know.

4) Thrunite Catapult V2 or V3; V2 . Great light but don't know about it gun mounting abilities.

These last where not suitable not mountable or way over priced.

Thanks but for the info I will keep looking for a bit longer..

looman

Enlightened
1) Surefire UB3T, Over $600 think I will pass.

2) Olight M3X mentioned above. , Looking like a winner so far..

3) Eagletac M3C4 XM-L . Couldn't find this one so don't know.

4) Thrunite Catapult V2 or V3; V2 . Great light but don't know about it gun mounting abilities.

These last where not suitable not mountable or way over priced.

Thanks but for the info I will keep looking for a bit longer..

v2 and v3 have a one inch tube option. UK link here

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/accessories/thrunite-accessories.html

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
All of the above lights mentioned would be too big to mount on your rifle. Good luck with the search, but you might want to look at something small like a quark turbo, or lumintop td15x.

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys I have decided the go with the Olight M3X Triton XM-L, after much deliberation I'm confident this will meet my needs. Got tape remote switch, mounts, charger, batteries and light for $310 AUD, from outdoorswarehouse.

....Cheers

AusKipper

Enlightened
Thanks for your help guys I have decided the go with the Olight M3X Triton XM-L, after much deliberation I'm confident this will meet my needs. Got tape remote switch, mounts, charger, batteries and light for $310 AUD, from outdoorswarehouse.

....Cheers

If i was going for an attached battery powered LED option (unlike the incan with separate battery I linked you before) then thats probably what I would have gone for too :)

You should be happy with it.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good choice the Olight M3X.
It's hotspot is very concentrated; very similar to the Eagletac M3C4, and less floody than the Thrunite Catapult V3 XM-L's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASH0WXioYe8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpyyIFWMT7c

The Surefire UB3T has a superb control ring, and an even more concentrated hotspot and less spill, but then it costs 600-700 dollars...

billyel

Newly Enlightened
I'd be very interested to see what your impression of the light is once you get it mounted and can use it in your intended environment.

250-300 meters looks completely doable, but how does it look once you are looking down the sights?

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
I will give some feedback once it arrives, had a issue with the mounting bracket, the reflector head is bigger on the M3X than the other M series lights, so it needs a different mounting bracket, it won't arrive for a month or so, but I will try it out with some rubber and gaff tape if it doesn't arrive by the time I head to the farm.

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Skooter!

Aussie seller and fantastic customer service! These guys supply flashlights to many NSW and QLD Law Enforcement and Military personnel.

http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-nighthunter-p-182.html

http://wolfeyes.com.au/wolf-eyes-sea-lion-hunter-p-157.html

The Wolfeye's lights look very nice, will keep them in mind for my next purchase, I chose the Olight M3X mainly for its versatility in not just being a spotlight for a rifle, but still being a good flashlight, anyway I hope it works that way.. shame I didn't see these before I ordered. Oh well...

Skooter

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys..

Finally got to take the Olight M3X out for a run and over all very impressed.

Pro's:
- 250 mts visable distance easy, may vary with weather, but more than enough for my needs.
- around 400g weight (depending on battery configuation) this is a pro for me others may not think so but for what it puts out, its light.
- Nice clear crisp white light, made targets light up through the scope a lot better than the yellow tinted spotlight, but in foggy conditions may be bad.
- No noticable output difference using the different battery types.
- no heat build up when out in the cold, but inside at room temp after about 10 min it got warm, so not a issue for me.

Con's:
- Thread is not anodised at battery end, was a bit surprised, (but i guess that will wear off on others over time). a little hard to use with spring resistance.
- One outer halo ring but not really a negative for use.
- Had a pimple in the reflecter, not noticable in use, but still not expected.
- light feels a little unbalanced, head heavy in hand. (but it has a large head assembley so its expected).
- Overall feel its a bit thin and flimsy, (but its very light so what do you expect).

Overall I would recommend this light it does the job and meets the criteria I asked of it, I think for the price its quality is lacking a bit, lights half the price are finished better, so I expected at least that level. Most of the Con's are for fussy people, but I still think quality needs work. Its got my vote as a keeper, but no wow factor here.

AFireInside

Newly Enlightened
So huge thread bump here but wondering what mount you used for the olight?

I have a Crelant 7G5 on order and it seems my current mount won't work because of the head size, thanks!

Latest posts