Klarus        
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

Default Re: McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Been doing a lot of research and trying to convince myself that I need this light. Think this photo may have moved me to almost pull the trigger right now. Very, very nice photo!
    You should see my AlTiN 119 Haiku! Anyway, you need this light, and, truth be told, to belong to CPF you have to own a Haiku. It's true.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    You should see my AlTiN 119 Haiku! Anyway, you need this light, and, truth be told, to belong to CPF you have to own a Haiku. It's true.
    As long as I've been on the forum and with as many flashlights as I've owned I've never picked up a Haiku for myself. I did purchase one for a buddy of mine from another forum at one point. The build quality was outstanding and I really liked the form factor. I've looked a the build page multiple times as well. I do think I need to pick one up just to maintain my standing on CPF.
    Last edited by jdboy; 04-05-2018 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdboy View Post
    As long as I've been on the forum and with as many flashlights as I've owned I've never picked up a Haiku for myself.

I do think I need to pick one up just to maintain my standing on CPF.
    Yes, it's a good idea. Ironically, both of my favorite lights were not the least bit interesting to me when I first saw them. My Haiku is one of them, and it's also probably my favorite light ever for how it feels in my hand.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

OP this is an excellect write up that will most likely cost me too much money... Thanks for your time and expertise!

Thanks! I had to go back and read it again - itís been a couple years since I read it last. Interestingly, seven years later I still feel the same way and still have two Haikus in my collection!

Itís a shame the pics have all disappeared. I could plug some new ones in but Don has many spectacular photos of his lights posted and frankly I suppose the text is the more important component in this endeavor anyways.

These are the types of reviews that make CPF so enjoyable. If I was able to put my thoughts to print like this, I would. When I first joined, I would read and reread this and other essays like it. I couldn't afford a Mcgizmo at the time but it put a lot into perspective. Thank you!

while the pictures added to it, the text is the important part.

Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Been doing a lot of research and trying to convince myself that I need this light. Think this photo may have moved me to almost pull the trigger right now. Very, very nice photo!
    Thank you,appreciate it!

Last edited by Beard Man; 07-14-2018 at 07:43 PM.

Thank you for the excellent information! Iím ready for my first custom and emailed Don this morning to order a Haiku! Great review!

Read more than once over the year/s, always a great read nbp. Defo on the short list(top 5 imo) of the best lights on the planet.

Apart from good looks, what makes the Haiku special? What sets it apart from other lights with a similar UI and build quality? I'm genuinely asking you folks who have been carrying it around for some years. Why is it better than, say, a Malkoff MDC? Or a Zebra?
    ďMay it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.Ē
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Did you read the OP? Iím not gonna retype it all bro. Haha.

Hanging on every word, bruh. Still trying to get it. Sincerely asking.

Edit: You wrote that seven years ago. Has your perspective changed? Why or why not?
    Last edited by Modernflame; 09-02-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Apart from good looks, what makes the Haiku special? What sets it apart from other lights with a similar UI and build quality? I'm genuinely asking you folks who have been carrying it around for some years. Why is it better...
    It's a hard question for me to answer and all I can say is that regardless of numerous retirements, my Haiku is once again in my right pocket, playing backup to my Rotary. I think about the only time I reach for it first is when I'm needing more punch/throw, especially if I'm riding my bike. Still a good amount of flood, but longer reach.
    There are a couple members here who wondered about getting a Haiku and did so after borrowing mine, so there's definitely something in the handling of the light that makes it somehow desirable, even though others may still generally accomplish the same job.

Default McGizmo Haiku - An Ideal EDC - An Essay

Thereís a couple factors that set it apart from the pack for me (titanium and high-quality) but foremost is pride of ownership. You canít quantify the feeling you get when you use a precision, quality tool like the Haiku. The feeling I get when I use my Haiku is similar to when I use my CRK Sebenza. They donít do anything another Brand X tool canít, but they are built to a higher standard which in turn accentuates their use. I should note that I get a distinctly different feeling when I use my other flashlights such as the BOSS 35 and HDS. Most similar to the Haiku would probably be my Okluma DC1.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...5oUVN8rPDveKYA (EDC, Gear Reviews, and More!)

Thanks for the responses, guys. It's certainly an iconic flashlight. Instantly recognizable.

Apart from good looks, what makes the Haiku special? What sets it apart from other lights with a similar UI and build quality? I'm genuinely asking you folks who have been carrying it around for some years. Why is it better than, say, a Malkoff MDC? Or a Zebra?
    To answer that, letís go back a few years.
    Back in 2000, 2001 I needed a good small flashlight. Ended up finding CPF. Several thousand dollars later, I had a few, including a couple McGizmo builds that promptly had their warranties voided. A good de-domed emitter, and some of the first available rechargeable 123ís could reach 130 lumens, and had 2 levels. Amazing performance at the time. The new rechargeables were obtained from a CPF member in Hong Kong, who bought them in a little back alley shop. A couple of those were in daily use as duty lights for 10 years or so. Eventually they went off to college with the twins. They are still in use, and useful.

So 18 years later, I returned to CPF. McGizmo is still in business. I only blinked once at the price before buying an AA Haiku. And a mule head with a HIVE engine. And thereís probably a few more in my future.

For background, I've had a couple Haikus, a Mahi, and a Makai. The Haiku is truly one of the single best EDC lights in its size, form factor, and original power source. The light is well designed, modular, has an excellent beam with a wide range of old to new emitters, brighter than most multi-thousand lumen triples (lux>lumens), and is always set for moderate drive currents for reliability, long life, and safety. NBP covers this in greater detail in the first post...
    For disclosure, the only McGizmo I still have is my Sapphire with a 3200K Yuji in it, this is not due to an deficiency of the McGizmos, but because I'm not the sort to keep more expensive lights around than I can carry reasonably, as such my carry is a light of my own design, and a Spy 005 (2017 update) which has the McR-18 instead of the McR-17 and is IMO a better EDC reflector, however it needs more flux (lumens) to hit the same range as the 17 as it has a wider spill that uses some of the output.

I can not really add anything, only my personal feeling/thoughts . Size for me is perfect in hand(think like your HDS). Now go back a couple of years Modernflame, prior maybe to malkoff and HDS. Not sure what you were using as flashlight tools back then, but i would imagine the thought of a small HDS for $300 or so would seem a little crazy. How would you describe to your self about a HDS rotary(or clicky) , its hard to put in words.

For me its always been a special light, always admired pictures and thoughts. The machining as said is 2nd to none, titanium(this is no hot rod nor meant to be), just a tool that works as good today, as it will in 20yrs time. After all, Don with his clicky switch, his reflector work which malkoff uses...................imagine the light he makes! .

The clip out of ................well my lights with clips lol is considerably better than most if not all (not experienced steel flame). The retention is perfect, just perfect imo as far as clips go.

I have a feeling your going to add to your very nice family soon with a haiku mr flame, you wont regret it when you do!

A flashlight is a flashlight, but sometimes its a little more than just that................the haiku is one of those lights. Special in many ways, from design, machining, even coming from Hawaii makes it extra special to me. Seeing Dons amazing pics under water all adds to the occasion when used, granted a pond in the UK just does not get that same feel though

Just watched The Full Nick Shabazz Review of the Haiku. He says he appreciates the appearance because it looks like a light saber. lol. On some deep subliminal level, I had picked up on that too, but hearing articulated is hilarious.

Just watched The Full Nick Shabazz Review of the Haiku. He says he appreciates the appearance because it looks like a light saber. lol. On some deep subliminal level, I had picked up on that too, but hearing articulated is hilarious.
    Some nice pics in this review from Jim
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5JW_2EU3k&t=157s

Flashaholic*

Sometimes is about feel. I understand that. That is how I felt about my Honda Civic and Honda Accord from the 1980ís and 1990ís
    They just had something about it. It cannot be measured or quantified. They always felt right, the design, the engineering, they way they drove.
    Had a dozen cars since then, more modern and advanced but none could match the Honda feel.

Hanging on every word, bruh. Still trying to get it. Sincerely asking.

Edit: You wrote that seven years ago. Has your perspective changed? Why or why not?

I have purchased many great lights since I started this thread, years ago. SPY, Mac, Okluma, Oveready, Muyshondt, HDS, SureFire, more McGizmos, Adventure Sport, etc. Some have passed on to new owners, some are still with me. I really really the collection I have at this point... but I still have and love my two Haikus as much as ever. They just feel so right in a lot of ways. Sure, they don't have the raw power of my triples, or the tiny size of a Muyshondt keychain light, or the crazy programmability of my BOSS, but they are more than the sum of their parts. The Haiku, like the Sebenza as noted before, offers a pride and pleasure of use that I never tire of. That is not to say those other makers don't offer that, as they are amazing too, but I feel a connection with these lights that goes a little beyond what I feel with the others.

I think of it, like this: if you were running out of your house in an emergency situation and you had time to grab one flashlight to shove in your pocket which could potentially be your only light for an indeterminate amount of time, what would you grab? I think the answer to that will tell you what piece of your collection you have the truest connection with. For me, it would be my AA Nichia 119 Haiku. Lovely tint and color rendering and the ability to run on Eneloops in an impervious Ti shell is really the epitome of EDC usability. I also love my CR123 Haiku w/DatiLED 219 light engine - that host is actually the one that I bought way back in June 2011, though now with an upgraded engine. It has seen a lot of use and abuse and has taken it all in style. These lights look and work as well under the hood of the car or at the campsite as they do in a tux pocket. Modularity means you can make exactly the light you want for your needs. And the feel in your hand means that every time you pull it out you will be proud to use it.

Get yourself a Haiku and a Sebenza. Mine are full of a crap ton of scuffs and they look better than ever. They may not be the only tools you ever buy, but they will be the only ones you really need.

McGizmo & Sebenza: Get It, Use It, Love It!!

Awesome feedback @nbp, tells a lot about the Haiku.

Enlightened

have to agree on the Honda thing. I have two Toyotas now and an 05 Honda accord. Toyotas are good cars but they don't have the ride/feel solidness of the Honda. That accord of mine has 240,000 miles on it and the AC has never had a recharge and is ice cold. only thing I have done to the car is tires and brakes and transmission fluid change at 100,000. still original exhaust !!!

there are no rattles or anything . some minor issues she still rides like a dream.

I feel like I should have had something prepared for my 10,000th post, but this seems as good a place as any to make it. Nine years later I still have that Haiku from Don. In the meantime Iíve had job changes, started a business, moved, gained friends, lost friends, crushed on pretty girls, and all sorts of assorted uncertainty as life throws at all of us. With the exception of maybe a beater E01 it may be the light I have had in my collection the longest and has seen the most with me. And probably would be the one with me when all others are gone. If thereís anything Iíve learned in 13 years here itís just that when you find things you like and are good for you, just enjoy it and donít worry what anyone else thinks of it. A lot of people never ďGotĒ the Haiku or McGs in general. But I did, and many of you did. And thatís a real fine thing. Long live the Haiku.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    I feel like I should have had something prepared for my 10,000th post, but this seems as good a place as any to make it. Nine years later I still have that Haiku from Don. In the meantime Iíve had job changes, started a business, moved, gained friends, lost friends, crushed on pretty girls, and all sorts of assorted uncertainty as life throws at all of us. With the exception of maybe a beater E01 it may be the light I have had in my collection the longest and has seen the most with me. And probably would be the one with me when all others are gone. If thereís anything Iíve learned in 13 years here itís just that when you find things you like and are good for you, just enjoy it and donít worry what anyone else thinks of it. A lot of people never ďGotĒ the Haiku or McGs in general. But I did, and many of you did. And thatís a real fine thing. Long live the Haiku.
    Very nice.
    Can we see the old guy?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Congrats on your 10,000th post!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Congrats on 10k, NBP! Time flies...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I had noticed @nbp was at #9998 a day or two ago, and meant to say something

I'll add my congrats too, and (so as to keep things reasonably on-topic) mention that he was the one here on CPF who convinced me to start down the McG path ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thanks guys. I figure there was probably about 10 good posts over those years; 1 out of 1,000 ain't bad. haha

Here is the old fella. Plenty of scuffs and scratches on this one, and I torched it for some color! And then with some friends. The AA Haiku is a user too, though not as old and roughed up, and the Sapphire with the yellow lanyard is a Yuji user also. The other Sapphire is very seldom taken out as it is one of the few Mules made and is near irreplaceable. I think there have been about five or six other McGs that have passed through my hands over the years but these have stayed. Barbarian was my McG pusher here on CPF. He very kindly and trustingly sent me a Haiku to play with way back when to see if I would like it before I saved up for my own. It was incredibly kind and set me on a path of a heck of a lot of really amazing lights over the years. I don't know if he still checks in here, but if so, thanks Barbarian!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast