QTC and impact on flashlight modding

manoloco

Enlightened
A few years ago for my case 1 x AA lights were the most useful in most cases, and regarded my Fenix L1T rebel 80 my most practical light.

After a few years i started using 1 x RCR123 lights and never went back, i even sold locally or gifted some of my AA lights; the mentioned L1T to my teacher and now boss, then my inova X1 to my best friend.

Then i bought my mother and my girlfriend Nitecores EZ AA and a Quark mini AA to one of my best friends.

A few weeks ago checking the batteries on my lights and charging a few backups i found out that the only AA light left i have is a Peak Kili with 5 red leds (i really like it but the red leds are not of usual use for me).

Started looking again for some AA lights and found out about QTC (quantum tunneling composite).

QTC could be a real game changer, for flashaholics at least (not so sure about general public), now you see me looking for the most simple, regulated, high output AA light, single mode to mod with a QTC pill.

Before the arrival of this material having a single output (high) specially on a AA format was not so practical as it would eat the poor AA fairly quickly, now of course its a different history as QTC would give me different levels with even less loss on those levels.

Wanted to purchase an El Capitan from Peak and tried to contact them but as you know its not so easy to purchase from them, and much less luck if you are outside US., its the way they do business and i am ok with that. The kili i have is a good reference of their great work (its the only AA light that i kept, and its even on red leds that i have only used a few times!) and thats why i looked for Peak first.

I am really sure there will be quality lights coming out from many manufacturers, but for now i really want to experiment, so i bought a fairly cheap Tank007 E07 to be my guinea pig, the tail seems to give good possibilities to hold a QTC pill in different ways to make it more reliable, stable and consistant, i will try a few things with it (already arrived), but im waiting for the QTC pills to get here, have a few ideas on how to sandwich them.

i have seen the having fun with QTC thread but thats about experiments with it (and will definitely post when i try things with the E07), this thread is more to read opinions on what you guys/gals will be purchasing and looking for to experiment with this material.

Pretty sure many manufacturers are already cooking systems with it (besides Peak that already has them available) but for now it seems to be more on the realm of the DIY crowd.

Btw those 1 mode Xm-l drop ins are looking really desirable now!