Fenix LD20 problem

toemke

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, i'm a complete newb and i recently got a bit more "serious" flashlight than those i previously owned, a Fenix LD20. I was really impressed with the quality and power of this light since i first turned it on. I played for it with a couple of hours and it worked just fine, but in the evening of the first day somehow the SOS and strobe mode got mixed up: when switching to SOS, it alternates between high and turbo mode, as if the turbo was the off setting. Same goes for strobe, where it switches between turbo and high mode. Does anybody have an idea, how this could have happened and eventually how to fix it?

yliu

Enlightened
I don't really understand...

If you tighten the head, then it should cycle between Turbo and strobe.
If the head is loosened, then it should cycle between low, mid, high and SOS.

I'd say bring it back to where you bought it, they should replace or fix it.

toemke

Newly Enlightened
My bad, wasn't clear enough:
with tightened bezel it cycles through turbo and strobe like it should, with loosened bezel it cycles through low-medium-high and SOS like it should. The problem is that in SOS the light flashes between high and turbo, meaning that the dashes and dots of the morse code are in high mode, while the spaces (where the light should be off) are in turbo mode. Same goes for strobe, where the light should be flashing between on and off, it flashes from high to turbo.
It was working alright when I first got it, the described phenomenon appeared after a couple hours. Sending it back would be a bit tricky, since a friend bought it for me from the states and I'm in europe.

yliu

Enlightened
To me that sounds like you have a faulty flashlight, so you can either send it back or just live with it.

I've never heard of this type of problems nor how to fix it. Although you can try to clean the contacts.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
not a real "solution" to that "fault", but...
... I would also advise:
tighten parts inside tailcap,
tighten light pill,
clean contact surfaces

PS: Ni-Mh as well as the LD20 are both already aged.