I'm new without a clue.

tangstamp

Newly Enlightened
I\'m new without a clue.

What is the best, brightest, coolest flashlight with a sheath for the money. Until recently, I thought Mag-Lights were the pinnacle. I'm thinking Uzi with a xenon bulb. Any suggestions (or offers)? I'm looking for max toy for mini price. Thanks!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: I\'m new without a clue.

Another good light is the Surefire G2. You can read a review on it here:

Surefire G2 Review

You can also check out his review on the Pelican M6 Incandescent Lithium at the same site.

You can go to www.surefire.com and find "holsters" by clicking on "accessories".

I've found both to be excellent and I don't think you'd go wrong with either. They can both be had for around $30. The Pelican M6 does come with a sheath, but my latest one is about 3/4" too deep and the fit is too snug.

www.countycomm.com has a couple of excellent sheaths that fit the G2 perfectly. I believe the larger Magazine/Utility sheath will fit the PM6.

Correct me if I'm wrong on that, fellahs.

BC

tangstamp

Newly Enlightened

I'm checking those out. Found a deal on the Dorcy Spyder 2 pack with xenon bulb, lithium batteries, and sheaths for $27. Any opinions there? Thanks for the feedback.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

Those Dorcy Spyders are a pretty good deal, but do you need two? If not, I would recommend you spend about the same money on a Surefire G2. It has a much better beam, and is a better quality light. You can also buy a lamp assembly for the G2 that is twice as bright as the normal one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RevDavid

Enlightened

I agree wholeheartedly with Aaron. Why buy more cheap lights? Get something better instead. (But be warned... buying nice lights is like taking narcotics. You will probably get HOOKED) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Seriously though, you will not regret getting a better light. If you want a great deal on that G2, check out the sale on the Dealer's Corner, real quick! That is an excellent buy!

David <><

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast

till the 11th of Oct tactical warehouse in our dealers corner has the black G2 for $25 that is even better than the $27 for two dorcys in quality you do have to get to TW through the post to get the discount

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tangstamp said:
[ QUOTE ]
www.countycomm.com has a couple of excellent sheaths that fit the G2 perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ] Which one do you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Maxpedition Sheath/Pouch for $14.99 is built for kicking out of a C-141 over Afghanistan, here:

CountyComm Maxpedition Sheat/Pouch

My son carries his G2 in the CountyComm $5.00 sheath for the Inova X5T. They also have a little larger sheath/pouch for $5.00. I don't know which of these two the G2 fits better. All three of these sheaths can be carried vertically or horizontally. Very secure and robust, but if you want to sneak your light out quietly...ain't happenin'. The flaps have about a yard of velcro. But the light isn't going anywhere unless you want it to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You can buy Surefire brand 123A 3 volts direct from Surefire for $1.25 each and DP brand 123As from The Battery Station for $1.00 each. For that price from TBS, you have to access their CPF members special page which you can't navigate to through their website. Here's the link:

The Battery Station CPF Members Specials Page

Fine choice, tangstamp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BC
PS: You'll notice on Battery Station's CPF page that they sell the Pelican M6 for $30 to CPF Members.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

Go for the CC $5 holster! The G2 fits just fine!
Here's a picture of the holster and some lights that it will fit.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I use the $5 holster for my G2, A2, L4, E2e. I actually have like five of these holsters strapped to various chairs and backpacks just so I can always have a light nearby.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

$35 - $50 for a Streamlight Scorpion - it's bright enough to sting your eyes. It's smaller but should be as bright as a G2. The tail-cap switch is a plus & it has rubber armoring outside, & spare lamp inside.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
tangstamp said:
I'm there. I bought the G2 from TW. Thanks for the heads-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you're getting a light that uses 123A batteries, be forewarned that you should purchase new batteries over the Internet. Otherwise, you'll be paying $6-$7 apiece at retail stores.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darn...I may have goofed again. I,m a newbie too - is that an acceptable excuse? I should have looked, once more, before I lept into this. The G2 may be a better product than the Scorpion; I'd like to know other's experience with the comparison. I was thinking that the G2 was different than it actually is. However, these two lights may be close enough in features than one is not a clear winner. I'm open to persuasion; should I too buy a G2 if I already own a Scorpion?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I always recommend to newbies that they go to Walmart and pick up a Brinkman Legend LX. You walk out of the store with one for 20 bucks and its just as bright as the G2 and PM6. Quality is excellent and you get a clickie switch which both of those two do not have. Go through a set of batteries with the LX (about an hour) before you make any futher purchases. Some people don't like having that short of a runtime. Others won't like the "specialized" battery requirements. If you decide you like what you see and want more, be it brightness or runtime, let us know... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

brightnorm

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
ttran97 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I use the $5 holster for my G2, A2, L4, E2e. I actually have like five of these holsters strapped to various chairs and backpacks just so I can always have a light nearby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excelelnt holster. Will also hold 6x123's.

Brightnorm