What should the run time on an EDC light be?

MY

Enlightened
The new ARC LS4 got me thinking about whether it should use an 1, 2, or 3 watt LS. Because this light is designed to be an EDC light, increasing the wattage of the LS will decrease the run time of the light. What is a reasonable run time for an EDC light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

notos&w

Enlightened
for me it would be somewhere around 2-4 hours, certainly more than one but of decreasing importance after that

onelight

Enlightened
The more watts the better on the LS4 you can turn it down for long run time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif On other lights it depends on how many you edc and your personal circumstances.I edc 3 it would not bother me if one was real short 20min because I have many more hrs in the other 2 lights.

franken2

Newly Enlightened
my cmg infinity ultra with lithium aa seems to be plenty and the brightness adequate for my uses, dark hallways, stairwells, etc.
the 2hrs of my e1e/kl1 has been quite enough also but perhaps brighter than neccesary at times.
I tend to use the cheapest to run lights with just enough light for the task.
Isn't that the beauty of led lights?

paulr

Flashaholic
The LS4 has adjustable brightness so you can crank it down and get long runtime.

In practice I think EDC runtime is overrated. The usual uses for an EDC are to walk through an unlit room, clean out a computer mouse, read a menu in a dim restaurant, that kind of thing. Rarely is more than a few minutes needed.

If you're really paranoid you should have two lights anyway, say a bright one and a long-running one. An Arc LS4 and Arc AAA would make a great combination.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Enough time to find more flashlights, batteries, candles and a lantern or parts under furniture, in a dark corner etc.

For EDC I sacrifice runtime for carryability.

I think 60-90 minutes is fine. Unless, I'm in a situation were I maybe away from any and all other sources of light or batteries. Times like this are where I really expect lights like the adjustable LS4 to shine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GregR

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
I'm not running anything fancy between my two EDC lights, but the pair is very effective. I tend to use my brigher light for more than just the occasional tasks...I almost can't do without it at work.

I have a BB400 in a MiniMag (might try the Brinkmann tho) and an Arc AAA. I run Ni-MH cells in the BB400 light, and swap them out every 2-3 days. In the Arc AAA I run regular alkalines, and between the two I cover my needs of a bright light for walking outside at night and doing work requring lots of light, and a moderately dim light that serves as a practical backup and suitable for use when I don't want to draw attention to myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (such as in a restaurant). Of course, the specs on the Arc AAA are 5 hours until moon mode, and I can get 2+ hours out of my BB400 on the NiMH cells I use. Maintenence of the BB400 is extremely cheap (initial cost of cells and charger + power to charge them each time) and the Arc AAA isn't bad at all. I go through a AAA about once a month. Again, nothing special...but the advantages of using readily available cells is a big plus!

RevDavid

Enlightened
For me anything over 60 minutes is a bonus. But I think it really depends on how you use the light. I EDC the TW4, and I only change the battery every three to five weeks so far. I usually use the light for less than a minute at a time, so it takes me quite a while to wear down the battery, and it only costs about a buck to replace it. For me, that is more than enough.

David <><

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say an hour or so,
My Micro Illuminator gets around 2 hours of light out of one AAA cell and lives on my keychain. I change the battery about every 2 to 3 weeks. Say an emergency hits, it will give off dim light for at least another 4 hours so I have that covered.
My second EDC is almost done, Stoplight BB500 R2H. I say it will run almost 2 hours of blinding bright and probably another 12 hours or more of dim light when it falls out of regulation. I would not confuse EDC with an emergency light, for emergencies, the Anglelux 2D rolls over 24 hours of bright then dimmer for the next 5 days.
An EDC light does not need loooooong run times, that is the emergency lights job. An hour is good enough, below that and things get a bit of a hassle with changing the battery all the time.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I always think about what happens if it is the day before you are about to change your battery/s and your 2 hour edc has only five minutes of light left. So I was playing with my arc sls on dead batteries to see how long and how bright it would be during its final breaths. Anyway, I was brushing my teeth by it's light but the bristles felt a little too soft. Flicked on the overhead light and discovered it was my wife's toothbrush. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. That's why I edc 4 lights!
imgadgetman

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ideal runtime for edc?

at least 8 hours....
the only way to do this (without carrying spares or a real dim light) is to have multiple lights.

i carry the aaa, e2e, and mmm. i have about 11 hours of light right there.

normally, you wouldn't need nearly this much, but the one time you do need it, you'll really wish you had it.

in my opinion, there is no excuse whatsoever to not carry an arc aaa with you at all times, no matter what other lights you have. it is supersmall, and will provide you with at least 6 hours of light.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Uh... roth.... why would you need such long hours of light? You going jungle trekking or something? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
yea...iowa has plenty of jungles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

i don't really need all this runtime, but if i'm trapped in a collapsed cave or something, it will probbaly come in handy.

the main reason i carry these three lights, is each one performs a certain type of task very, very well.

the e2e is for high light situations, like when i need to see something far away, or when i'm trying to blind a ninja assaliant.

the mmm is what i use the most. whether it's navigating a dark hallway or fixing a tire.

the aaa is good for when my eyes are adapted to the light, and/or when i'm looking at something up close.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
With a Newbeam installed, here's at least 20 hours of fully regulated light! A AA MiniMag, with a Newbeam and two li batteries installed and a set of spares in the holster. That is a Nite Ize "Spare Power" holster.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm trapped in a cave...,
The great thing about caves is you don't require as much light so "moon mode" is fine. Granted, I would not go into a cave with just my EDC's but if I did it would be OK. The king of "trapped in a cave for 12 hours" light would be the new Arc AA light. Will run longer than 12 hours off a single AA and is brighter than the AAA.
For spelunking, I will go Anglelux clipped to my vest, 2D BB500 R2H Mag and Stoplight BB500 R2H Fraen LP on a head strap.

paulr

Flashaholic
An EDC light is one you carry even when you don't think you'll need a light. Certainly if I were going anywhere near any caves, I'd bring more lights than just my EDC. Of course everyone's habits are different but I think most of us are unlikely to ever get trapped in a cave with just our EDC lights.

That said, the regular (non Ultra) CMG Infinity is supposed to run for 30+ hours on one AA. It's dimmer than the Arc AA, of course.

The Tek-Tite Trek Lithium is another good "trapped in cave" light; it uses a special 3.6 volt AA sized computer battery, but runs for 100+ hours at useable brightness. It's also extremely tough and waterproof and has no electronics to fail, except for the LED itself. But IMO it's overpriced at around $30.

My favorite EDC these days is the Princeton Tec Blast. It's incandescent with 2aaa's and maybe 1.5 hours runtime, is pretty bright, very lightweight, has a built in pocket clip that doubles as a hat clip, and is cheap enough that it's not upsetting to replace if lost.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old EDC: Arc LSH-P w/ TSP-123, Arc AAA, E2e. I have now added an Arc AA and CPF AAA to that list, so I am set for anything I would need a light for at school. (E2e and LSH-P for blinding my friends, Arc AAA, AA, and CPF AAA for backup). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Likebright

Enlightened
I think that the new Arc AA with a lithium battery in it should give a pritty good run time I just got mine haven't had time to run it out yet, but Peter says it will run 10 hr. on alkaline.
IMHO the longer run time the better.
Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MY

Enlightened
Personally, I think carrying multiple EDC lights is not possible for most folks, especially if one works in an office environment. I think the fact that many people do carry multiple lights just illustrates how far lights still need to go so that only one light is necessary. I know that some will say that a backup to everything is good but I just don't want it to be a requirement for EDC piece of mind. I am really looking forward to the LS4 as it will provide reasonable full-on run time (2+ hours?) and days of dimmed output when the situation calls.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MY said:
Personally, I think carrying multiple EDC lights is not possible for most folks, especially if one works in an office environment. I think the fact that many people do carry multiple lights just illustrates how far lights still need to go so that only one light is necessary. I know that some will say that a backup to everything is good but I just don't want it to be a requirement for EDC piece of mind. I am really looking forward to the LS4 as it will provide reasonable full-on run time (2+ hours?) and days of dimmed output when the situation calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in an office environment and carry my belt-mounted ARC-LSHP in its pouch religiously. At first, I got my balls busted somewhat. That lasted until we were on a business trip in Chicago and could not see the menu in the resturant. Out came the LSH and they were lining up to be next, so they could read the menu. I already belt carry a pager, cell phone and gear keeper for my ID badge. The ARC LS pouch is hardly noticed anymore.