Does anyone have both a Fenix LD01 SS XP-G R5 AND an ITP A3 EOS XP-G R5?

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I currently have an ITP A3 EOS XP-G R5 and I love it. Its a great, efficient, bright light.

I wanted another AAA light that is, perhaps, able to outperform the ITP in output/efficiency. It would also be nice if it throws a little better than the ITP as well.

Hopefully someone with both of these lights can tell me how they differ in real world use in terms of output, efficiency and throw.

Also feel free to mention any other lights that meet my criteria. Less than or equal to 50$, preferably less.

3 modes would be nice too.

Streamer

Enlightened
Hi. I have the ITP A3 R5 and the Fenix L0D XPE Q4 which I think is comparable to the LD01.

There's really not much difference in throw at all, although the edge would go to the L0D. I mean, with these tiny shallow reflectors throw certainly does not come much into play and I think you would be happy with either.

Of course, like I said, I don't have an LD01.... just my observation with what I have.

As bright as the ITP A3 R5 is on it's own, I say it would be hard to beat in it's price class vs any other AAA out there. Throw lights tend to be a little fatter and larger.. HTH

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm........ not sure if this will help, but here is a link to an HJK beamshot comparison between quite a few AAA lights, including the LD01 SS and MaraTac cu (very similar to the ITP A3 EOS):
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot AAA lights 2011-07 UK.html

Or maybe this one:
http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshot AAA lights 2011-03 UK.html

I think most CPFers own either one or the other, probably not both. I've got the LD01 SS R5 and feel it's an excellent little light, although the tint was originally a bit greenish blue.

stoli67

Enlightened
I have three versions of the LD01 - the Al, SS and Ti

and the ITP A3 and the Illumina Ti

I find that the SS version has a green tint... not so nice.

IMG_0192.jpg

I would get the standard LD01 Al (I think it is R2 or R4 but not R5) and run a 10440 cell..... pretty bright that is for sure.

Last edited:

squaat

Newly Enlightened
I have both the ld01 ss xpg and the a3 xpg. I believe they are both pretty comparable. Can't tell you off hand as the ld01 is my wife's purse light, and the a3 is my 3 year old daughters light. (personally I edc a ss preon record) I'll try and post some beam shots soon.

The weight different is quite significant though.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three versions of the LD01 - the Al, SS and Ti

and the ITP A3 and the Illumina Ti

I find that the SS version has a green tint... not so nice.

IMG_0192.jpg

I would get the standard LD01 Al (I think it is R2 or R4 but not R5) and run a 10440 cell..... pretty bright that is for sure.

so thats where all the liteflux went!!

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I have both the ld01 ss xpg and the a3 xpg. I believe they are both pretty comparable. Can't tell you off hand as the ld01 is my wife's purse light, and the a3 is my 3 year old daughters light. (personally I edc a ss preon record) I'll try and post some beam shots soon.

The weight different is quite significant though.

That would be sweet thanks.

Stoli Nice collection! What's your favorite 3 mode 1 x aaa light? Also, is it safe to run an Al LD01 with a 10440 or is it just one of those short burst things?

Thanks for the replies everybody. Keep em comin.

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened
i have not had any trouble running 10440 cells but of course would only run on full until it gets hot then step down..

Fa. 3 mode is the Illumina TI then LD01 AL then Cu Marratac...

Fav. AAA light Run 1 Ti LF2XT with TIR lens and XPG LED......

I have ordered a Peak as it seems to be the only AAA light of any consequence that I don't have

Quality

Newly Enlightened
i have not had any trouble running 10440 cells but of course would only run on full until it gets hot then step down..

Fa. 3 mode is the Illumina TI then LD01 AL then Cu Marratac...

Fav. AAA light Run 1 Ti LF2XT with TIR lens and XPG LED......

I have ordered a Peak as it seems to be the only AAA light of any consequence that I don't have

Interesting, may I ask why the Illumina TI is your favorite? I read a couple reviews on it and it seems to be almost the same light as the ITP/Maractac as far as output, emitter and efficiency.

GeoffM

Newly Enlightened
I have both a fenix ld01 and itp A3 eos (standard). Both outputs look identical. The itp is a single mode and the battery (AAA enelope) doesn't seem to last as long as the ld01. Thats probably because the ld01 has 3 modes so i'm not using high all the time. The ld01 definitely feels like it is sturdier/heavier/more durable/nicer - at least to me it does. The big difference is the price. the ld01 is roughly twice as much. hope this helps

squaat

Newly Enlightened
okay beam shots as promised. These were taken with my Panasonic Lumix Point and Shoot. turned off as much of the auto as I could, but they didn't turn out very well. (PM me if you want higher res versions, the beam patterns are a tad better at bigger resolutions)

Threw in beamshots of my Revo and older LD01 XP-E

P1050024.JPG

ITP A3 EOS Upgraded XP-G

P1050022.JPG

Fenix SS LD01 XP-G

P1050021.JPG

Fenix SS LD01 XP-E

P1050023.JPG

4Sevens Preon ReVo XP-E

From looking at the beams in person, the A3 has the widest spill by far and the LD01 XP-E the tightest hotspot, but the most ringy.

The LD01 XP-G and the A3 XP-G have very comparable beams. In real use I doubt you'd be able to tell them apart. The LD01 might have a slightly tighter hotspot, and the A3 more spill.

However the beam I like the best is the ReVo. So I would recommend that. It is lighter than the LD01 and subtly smaller too. And it is current controlled at all levels, so no PWM. Actually the LD01 XP-G is current controlled as well.

None are great throwers, though XP-E's are easier to focus, so they will out throw XP-Gs with similar reflectors.

Personally I say go the ReVo, though I think they are all XP-Gs now too, so I suspect their beam pattern to be similar to the other XP-G AAA lights

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Stoli Geoff and squaat thank you. I really could not have asked for a more complete answer than this. Nice beamshots!

It seems as though there really isn't a better 1 x aaa light to get. We are all just buying different versions of the same light.

I wonder how long until a real breakthrough in 1 x aaa technology happens?

stoli67

Enlightened
The UI on LF2XT is a breakthrough if you can get you hands on one.

I have one that has been upgraded with an XPG LED and TIR optics..... this is my favorite light ..... it is quite floody but with a 10440 it is seriously bright. Of course like all small lights it does heat up quickly but with the 2XT UI you can just hold down the button and ramp it down to what you need.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
No problems, glad I could help (always nice to give back to the community) FYI many of the lights are very similar, iTP is Olight, who also manufacture (or something like that) for 4Sevens. I think klarus AAA's are also very similar in circuit design.

[email protected]

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I do have both those lights. You sucked me into my first post!

I like both lights but I do like the fenix light better by a small margin.

I like the way that the fenix starts out at medium and then switches to high them low in that order. Usually medium is just perfect. The itp requires that one extra turn to get to medium.

One of the biggest reasons I like the fenix better is that it tailstands even with it being on a keychain. It great for when you need ambient light. You can place it on a shelf aimed at the ceiling and you are set.

The itp does not tailstand.

Also, with both lights you can temporarily turn them on but slightly pulling the front reflector end towards the back body. I don't know if it's recommended but it comes in handy.

I also find the body and general build to feel of higher quality on the fenix but the fenix also does cost almost double what the itp does.

The itp comes in three different colors which is nice. I bought a purple one for my wife.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

Hopefully that helps you to.

If you are anything like me you should close your account here and run as I keep reading and want flashlights I have not much use for but simply must have!

Lol

Thanks for reading

If I would have to buy just one it would definitely be the fenix but I would probably have bought the stainless steel version as I like it that much.