A Distinction - EDC vs. ENC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Wright

Enlightened
The EDC acronym is used a lot around here. More than in other CPF areas, I guess, because the size and power/size ratio of Arc lights makes them excellent EDC candidates.

I would like to add a second acronym - ENC (Every Night Carry). The difference is important. I carry a LS during the day. Its power is needed for illuminating objects that are already dimly lit by ambient light, and making them easily visible to my non-dialated pupils. Once back at the house I switch to a AAA. I'm usually looking at things that are closer, and am already dialated from the darker night time surroundings.

Does anyone else use different lights for day carry versus night carry?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do, BUT I always (without fail) have my LSH hanging off of some part of my clothing. I also generally have a AAA with a white LED with me as well. The other choices for day and night carry are best commented on elsewhere.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The only time and I mean the only time that I don't have an ARC-AAA and and ARC-LSH on my person is when I'm not clothed. So, I guess that would narrow it down to when I'm sleeping and while I'm in the shower. Even then these lights are an arm reach away, in every room of the house.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<font color="red">Does anyone else use different lights for day carry versus night carry? </font>
There might invariably be a distinction for some, but there is not for me. I carry lights to help me perform my tasks when dark. I find that there is more need for light when the sun sets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Changing from an "EDC" to "ENC" would be unnecessary or extra effort that I could better spend the time on something more important. That is why I carry the same complement of lights that I have done so for several years. I am familiar with their shape, size, operating characteristics, light product output. I do not rotate my EDC so that I do not need to think about those things each and every time I use them. Many would consider my flashlight EDC battery to be obsolete, but I have found that those that I do carry continue to work for me sufficiently that I do not need to continuously seek alternatives.

gyverpete

Enlightened
How about another distinction...24/7 Carry. My AAA is ALWAYS on me. OK, actually it's 23.75 carry because I take it off to shower, but otherwise is on a neck lanyard along with a small SAK, even to bed. Why? Because it gives me confidence knowing I'm basically prepared wherever I go and not worry about having left it behind. I feel more..efficient that way. It also protects them from being lost or damaged. The AAA replaced a Photon light and although it's bigger, it's still inconspicuous under my shirt and very comfortable to wear.

I use the AAA around the house at night mostly.
I EDC an ARC-LS Grey and use it when more light is needed, day or night.
I use these two lights almost exclusively.

My EDC gear I put on when I leave the house and put it back in a tray when I get home at the end of my day. So it's always within reach. I don't rotate my gear as some do. I carry the same exact stuff everyday, whether it's day or night. It's easier that way.

onelight

Enlightened
edc ARC-aaa LS & SF L1 for work, at home the L1 is swapped for whatever light I feel like playing with, the ARCs stay with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif They are so small I find no reason not to cary the ARCs

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC is an Arc LS. I also have an Arc AAA, because it's on my keychain. At night, whether at home or away, I slip the SF L4 into my pocket. All my other lights are for special tasks or just for showin' off.

Often, when I go out during the evening, I take my 500 lumen Mag 3D with the WA 01185 bulb. Terrific for show-off. Besides, if my car electrical system should fail, I can use the flashlight to see the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.