• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WITHDRAWN: 2xAA sized Aspheric (2x14500 LiFe cells included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I seem to be saying goodbye to my creations one at a time these days. Too many lights and too many bills I suppose... This one only left the house once to my recollection, and saw very little use, but the anodizing shows some "drawer wear" (from spending time with other lights in my desk drawer, not my drawers :p)

When I made it, I thought it would be cool to have a skinny aspheric thrower that wasn't too bulky to fit in my back pocket, but was sufficiently powered. At that time, I don't think anything quite like it existed. A quick search of DX tells me it's still unique.

The light is fixed focus at the tightest throw and cannot be unassembled or modified. The aluminum head is permanently affixed to the aluminum body (the Dorcy host came that way). The XR-E star is affixed to the bottom of the head with Arctic Alumina Adhesive and the 24mm glass aspheric is affixed to the top of the head with 2hr clear epoxy. The driver is a simple 1A, 1-mode, 3xAMC7135 regulator, with max 6V input. It unfortunately also cannot be removed, as it was installed through the head before the star and lens were permanently affixed.

It can be powered by the two button-topped LiFePO4 14500 batteries that I'm providing. (I charge those batteries with an UltraFire WF-188 charger set to the 3.2v setting.) They sag enough under the 1A load to not overheat the regulator even over long runtimes. Resistance in the tailspring and switch and the driver's ceramic capacitor probably also helps.

If you choose not to use the cells for lack of an appropriate charger, it can also be powered by a single 14500 3.7v cell and a spacer, but two of those cells would be too much. In a pinch, two ordinary alkaline AA cells will light it up to about half of maximum intensity.

What's included - the light and the cells (don't mind the misprint on the mAH rating... they're probably meant to say 600mAH, not 1600):
Aspheric2x14500LiFewithbatteries.jpg

A front view of the glass lens:
AsphericDorcyfaceshot.jpg

A beamshot using the 3.2v LiFe cells:
AsphericDorcybeamshot.jpg

Beamshot on used Alkalines that each measure 1.51v open:
Asphericdorcybeamshotonalkalines.jpg

$16 shipped via First Class mail to domestic US addresses. I'll entertain requests for quotes for other shipping destinations.

First "I'll take it" gets it.

PayPal to Techjunkie (at) iname (dot) com

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.