Quark X 123^2 head heat vs. 123^2 Tactical XP-G R5

device manager

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm a long time lurker and just recently started trying out new "high end" led flashlights. I tried a Fenix PD31 and sent it back due to the halos, the dark spot on the center (cree reflection?), the somewhat yellow light output, and the fact it did not seem as bright as my 123^2 Tactical.

Today I received the X 123^2, and I wanted to see if it is truly an upgrade. I have Streamlight CR123A's in both lights. After ~3 minutes in Max mode the X 123^2 head becomes extremely hot to the touch, especially if you are palming the light instead of holding the center body. In comparison the head on the 123^2 Tactical XP-G R5 while in Max mode is barely lukewarm. Is this to be expected due to the XM-L?

The X 123^2 also puts out a more neutral white instead of cool white like my 123^2 Tactical. Overall I do not find the brightness to be much of an upgrade. I am more concerned about the head heat. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

ALWZWFO

Newly Enlightened
Both my regular XP-G and XM-L get hot fairly quickly on Max. 990ma is a lot to dissipate on such a small head. I switch to high mode every so often and they cool immediately.