Surefire knurling, best in class.

duro

Enlightened
I was playing with my c2 tonight and can't get over how well done the knurling is on the tail cap. I have a few other lights and nothing can compare. The c2 has rough knurling instead of smooth, which is what you find on any other light. This rough knurling allows for the perfect grip.

Why can't other manufacturers follow suit. WE WANT ROUGH KNURLING!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Too general for the LED Light forum as it applies to all SureFire Flashlights, Moved to General Flashlight Discussion - Norm

Last edited:

mjw2

Newly Enlightened
I was playing with my c2 tonight and can't get over how well done the knurling is on the tail cap. I have a few other lights and nothing can compare. The c2 has rough knurling instead of smooth, which is what you find on any other light. This rough knurling allows for the perfect grip.

I know exactly what your talking about. Sometimes I find my self rubbing my fingers back in forth on the knurling without thinking cuz it feels so good!

I also have Surefires and have always felt the same, but I must say the knurling on my Nitecore IFE2 is every bit as good if not better. So it can be done.
Some photos here:http://www.laymanslights.venturous.org/blog/2011/01/nitecore-infilux-ife2/

That's a nice light! From what I heard..Nitecore really gets the idea when it comes to good knurling.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice light! From what I heard..Nitecore really gets the idea when it comes to good knurling.
Sometimes. I also have a Nitecore Defender Infinity with very smooth knurling, not at all "grippy".
Surefire's knurling however, is consistently well done.

Imon

Enlightened
I think there have also been many stories around CPF about how the Surefire knurling has torn up a pocket or two.

While I usually carry my Ra Clicky I've carried the E2L, E1B, and LX2 in the past and I remember after a few time of carrying the E2L I had to stop since it was making scratch marks all over the face of my cell phone - probably my fault for making them cohabitate.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think knurling can be too aggressive though. Prolonged use of them shreds your skin especially ironically when your hands are wet, because your skin is softer and soggier. The perfect knurling in my opinion is my Solarforce L2P, the newer edition with the 14mm tailcap rubber, not the older 16mm cap. The older L2P was a little too smooth, the newer one is just right.

Filip

Newly Enlightened
The best knurling I have had the pleasure to hold so far is the new DiamondBack Knurling used on Moddoolar cell tubes.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Hardly impressive.

A rough tube of aluminium with HA-III coating can damage a smooth tube with HA-II. Nothing to do with Surefire.

Making your knurling really aggressive is good though, you can shred your clothes, hands and all sorts of interesting things.

As was mentioned in the link.

Norm

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
The best knurling I've felt is that on my d11s (v2 if it makes a difference). That's not to say all of nitecore is as great as my IFE1 and NDI were good but not like the D11

Lord Bear

Enlightened

My oldest "real" flashlight was the Surefire E2e incan that had the clip screwed into the head. 1 screw only. Had 3 distinct areas of knurling. Tailcap (1) and battery compartment (2). It now sports the Malkoff/M60/VME head. :eek:
But yeah! Surefire knurling! From tailcap to just before the head! Awesome grip! My old 6P has it too! :thumbsup:
(However I must mention all the pockets the E2e ate up before the clip finally broke. :sigh: )

duro

Enlightened
On the c2, the knurling is just on the tail cap. Perfect for me. Doesn't chew up my pockets and my hands are rough anyways so I don't have a problem with it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If your SureFire is eating your pants pockets . . . buy better pants.

No sarcasm intended. I've never had an issue with chewed up pockets.

Only knurling I've found that was better without feeling like I was gripping a cheese-grater is on my Leef-bodied 9P and M4 models.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 SureFire knurling is the best. If it's a little too aggressive for your pockets, they always have the T1A. That one's pretty slick.

LightJaguar

Enlightened
Good advice, rather than admit something is wrong with a Surefire, blame your clothes. Your clothes are probably made in China which will be why they are inferior to Surefire standards.

I have doubts that the knurling on a Surefire will tear up pockets. A strike bezel I could see. How are those pockets going to handle keys?
I carry a good sized set of keys in my pockets and I have yet to have one pocket get torn up. I also carry an M2 with a C2 bezel and no torn pockets.

I do like the knurling on Surefires and on my old school Nitecore DI. I also like the fine lines on my Ultrafire Recoil.

Last edited:

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Love my SF knurling! I especially love the Z2 as there is a smooth body, grippy rubber grip rings, rough knurling on the tailcap. Such a well designed light.
The only way I can see flashlight knurling being a problem on pockets is when you have a tight clip and it is tearing up the pocket edges where you clip the light, such as on Cold Steel knives where they abrade the pocket lining very quickly.
Other than that, I have no idea how it would abrade your pockets, and if it still is, buy better pants!! If my PJ pants can handle a 6P, so can yours!