H51fRED

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just idle chit-chat :) but I'm curious, for those who are already somewhat interested in Zebralight's H51f model if you would like it if it had a red led in it as well?

A lot of traditional hiking headlamps do have red leds as an option. You can just drill a hold in the side of the reflector and mount the led there. This is done in the Photon Proton Pro. It doesn't interfere with the output of the main led all that much and in the frosted model wouldn't affect it at all.

It makes the red output off-center but again in the frosted version that wouldn't be noticeable either.

You could have the red led mode incorporated as a programmable mode just as the strobe currently is. So you would have H1 at 100 lumen and H2 with red led along with memory as between those two settings.

I actually do alright without a red mode as long as I have a very low mode which the H51f already has but it occurred to me that the frosted model would be the version to add a red led if Zebralight ever decided to do this with one of their models. I realize they already have a dedicated red led model.

What do you think?

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Re: H51Fred :)

i like the idea, but i wonder if the reflector is big enough to fit a 5mm led. a 3mm might fit better, but are there 3mm leds that are bright enough to be effective?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

i like the idea, but i wonder if the reflector is big enough to fit a 5mm led. a 3mm might fit better, but are there 3mm leds that are bright enough to be effective?

The reflector is bigger than the Proton Pro and that red LED is brighter than the one in my Storm.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was actually planning on buying one of these for my wife. She's really into amateur astronomy, and while I prefer the NVG lights for that, she's a red aficionado... I think this would be a good choice for her, despite it's red-orange and not true deep red.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was actually planning on buying one of these for my wife. She's really into amateur astronomy, and while I prefer the NVG lights for that, she's a red aficionado... I think this would be a good choice for her, despite it's red-orange and not true deep red.

The only downside is that to turn the red mode on you press and keep your finger there. To turn on the white mode which will be on high you press that same switch for a shorter period of time.

It's not impossible to intend to get red mode and to get bright white mode instead.

A headlamp like the Storm on the other hand wouldn't have those issues. Once you put it in red mode you would have to press 3 seconds to get it out of red mode. It has mode memory as well so if you used it in red mode and turned it off and later turned it on again it would still be in red mode.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only downside is that to turn the red mode on you press and keep your finger there. To turn on the white mode which will be on high you press that same switch for a shorter period of time.

It's not impossible to intend to get red mode and to get bright white mode instead.

A headlamp like the Storm on the other hand wouldn't have those issues. Once you put it in red mode you would have to press 3 seconds to get it out of red mode. It has mode memory as well so if you used it in red mode and turned it off and later turned it on again it would still be in red mode.

Sorry, you lost me there... what 'white' mode are you talking about? I've read through the specs on the H51fr and there's nothing in it's description at all about it having any 'white mode'.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Re: H51fr (red )

B0wz3r, i think gcb was talking about his Proton Pro.
if you want to know why he's talking about a Proton Pro, you might want to re-read the first post of the thread.

gcb (or a mod, if it was done by a mod), you might want to change the thread title back to "H51Fred: )". the "H51Fr" name is being used already for a different product and might confuse some people like it did B0wz3r.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think this thread will die away quickly enough. I pointed out in the first post that this wasn't a light that Zebralight was making but rather one that it perhaps should make.

Any mistakes after that are made by not reading the original post.

As far as a small light for astronomy I've been thinking about just taking my 1 AAA Ultrafire 609c twistly with is single mode and about 65 lumen and just putting a piece of red cellephane behind the lens (between the reflector and the lens). It can be worm as a necklace and only costs $15.

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan's response was to my post about the Zebra, not the Proton. I never even mentioned anything about the Proton. Further, the title of the thread is in reference to the Zebra, not the Proton. While I understood that he discussed the proton in the OP, his response to my post, about only the Zebra, buying one for my wife, did not make clear that he was referring to the Proton, because I only referred to the Zebra in my post. Therefore, I assumed, and I believe rightly so, that he was referring to the Zebra.

My apologies for misunderstanding the reply.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bryan's response was to my post about the Zebra, not the Proton. I never even mentioned anything about the Proton. Further, the title of the thread is in reference to the Zebra, not the Proton. While I understood that he discussed the proton in the OP, his response to my post, about only the Zebra, buying one for my wife, did not make clear that he was referring to the Proton, because I only referred to the Zebra in my post. Therefore, I assumed, and I believe rightly so, that he was referring to the Zebra.

My apologies for misunderstanding the reply.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was referring to my version of the H51f with a red led added to the existing white led therefore it would be like the Proton Pro meaning that there would be a red led drilled into the reflector over on the side. This off center positioning wouldn't be as issue especially in the F model since everything is diffused anyway.

I pointed out in the last sentence that I realize that ZL already has a dedicated red model (therefore this suggestion would be different that that).