http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/rrt2xml.aspx

rrt2_xml_En.jpg

rrt2_xml_En5.jpg

rrt2_xml_En12.jpg

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.
Still no micro-current standby like Sunwayman V20C etc?
They still have the strobe in between standby and low.
And still only 3 levels of brightness, and not four...

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I don't really understand, why do you need a standby mode ? Why not just turn it off ?

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome!
This is the light I've been waiting for - it has the best UI I've seen on any light (Although I would switch the position of standby and strobe and replace strobe with SOS). I don't like continuously variable lights like the RRT-21 as you never know how much runtime you are getting. It's good to see that Jetbeam are always updating their products with the latest emitters.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You for the post gopajti.
I wonder if the smooth reflector version will throw a further distance than the OP reflector? You would think the smooth reflector would, but after changing reflectors from OP to smooth in my Olight M20 XML, the short term throw was better and overall throw distance remained the same.

I only see one spec for throw distance for the RRT-2 @ 155m.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really understand, why do you need a standby mode ? Why not just turn it off ?

Sure, we just turn it off.

However, on another note, there are two major types of grips for flashlights.
The most common is the lazy relaxing underhand hand shake grip.
The other is the tactical four fingers over the top overhand grip, popularised by the military etc.
With each type of grip, we need different types of switches.
The overhand grip requires the tail end switch.
However, the more commonly used lazy relaxing underhand handshake grip requires either a side switch, or a multi-position magnetic ring etc.
Here, the Jetbeam RRT-2 has a magnetic ring.

However, magnetic rings require at least a tincy wincy amount of current, even in standby to operate.
If the RRT-2 is left in standby indefinitely, it will discharge it's battery in a few weeks, or even in one week?
HKJ has measured the standby current for the RRT-2.
However, there are far more innovative flashlights out there.
For example the HDS is said to standby for 34 years!
Jetbeam's nearest competitor - Sunwayman - their new V20C has a micro standby current.
I am worried that Jb is beginning to fall behind Sunwayman in innovation.

So in the end, we don't really need to standby in the RRT-2, we just want a side positioned on/off switch for use during the lazy underhand hand shake grip, otherwise we must flip the flashlight 180 degrees to switch the tail end clicky on/off all the time.
By the same token, we don't want them to delete the tail end clicky - we want them to keep it, so that we have dual switches, for different types of grips...

Thank You for the post gopajti.
I wonder if the smooth reflector version will throw a further distance than the OP reflector? You would think the smooth reflector would, but after changing reflectors from OP to smooth in my Olight M20 XML, the short term throw was better and overall throw distance remained the same.

I only see one spec for throw distance for the RRT-2 @ 155m.

Interestingly, Selfbuilt's tests on the old RRT-2 R2 and the Jet 3M R2 shows that there is no difference in throw between the SMO & OP reflectors, so he concluded that we may as well go for the OP reflector for a nice clean beam...

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
So...

RRT-2 XM-L --> 2 cell light --> 460 lm
RRT-0 XM-L --> 1 cell light --> 550 lm

Something doesn't seem 100% logical about that. :thinking:

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
It will make more sense after they tell you the runtime for the RRT-2 XM-L with 2 x RCR123.
For the RRT-0, it is 20 minutes with one RCR123.

So...

RRT-2 XM-L --> 2 cell light --> 460 lm
RRT-0 XM-L --> 1 cell light --> 550 lm

Something doesn't seem 100% logical about that. :thinking:

Enlightened
Got it, very nice light. Was supposed to get the Balder BD-2 NW but this came along plus it's a good price at usd85 "shipped". Just a hint of green tint in low, not bad at all. Tint is not the bluish white type. Maybe 1C?

No PWM. Perfect.

Anyway.....stress test

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will make more sense after they tell you the runtime for the RRT-2 XM-L with 2 x RCR123.
For the RRT-0, it is 20 minutes with one RCR123.

While I get that, I don't get why the 2-cell light wouldn't have the option of a higher top end and let the user decide on whether to sacrifice runtime. I mean, not even AS bright? Hmmmm...

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Standby draws 0.7821 milliamps or 782.1 microamps. With a 3100mAh cell this would take 165 days to sort of empty the cell.

Jetbeam should try to be competitive with other manufacturers by lowering their standby currents; 700+ micro-amps is too high in this day and age, while 165 days standby on a flagship capacity Panasonic 3100 mAH is too short.

For example:
A Zebralight SC600 has a standby current of only 69.6 micro-amps giving a standby of 4.26 years on an AW 18650 2600 mAH as measured by Selfbuilt: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?320986.
The new competitor Sunway V20C also has a standby current of just 50 micro-amps; http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201106/52.html.
A Sunwayman M60R has a standby current of 71.5 micro amps, with 6xCR123's giving a standby of 7.2 years as measured by Selfbuilt: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...R123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!
A HDS is said to standby for 34 years!

Last edited:

Enlightened
Yeah Peterhaevey73, i guess it's quite high on paper and they never bother to optimise the driver more. Just have to remember in reality not to standby for more than 5 months. LOL! :D Seriously before you need to use the light for an event, one tends to recharge the cells. (and bring more cells)

But seriously i purchased the light as i needed a really really tough one that does not break the bank. So this "issue" does not really bother me, just turn it off with the rear clicky and problem solved. I can't justify the Elzetta ZFL-M60 as it is twice as expensive and also twice as dim.

This is one solid bugger! 161g vs the usual 120-130g.

Last edited:

eh123456

Newly Enlightened

I am interested in this light and also noticed the extra weight, in fact, this series of lights are getting heavier and heavier :
3M XML ==> 118g
RRT 21 ==> 137g
RRT 2 XML ==> 161g

So, are the extra 30-40 grams noticeable in everyday use ?

swan

Banned
Yeah Peterhaevey73, i guess it's quite high on paper and they never bother to optimise the driver more. Just have to remember in reality not to standby for more than 5 months. LOL! :D Seriously before you need to use the light for an event, one tends to recharge the cells. (and bring more cells)

But seriously i purchased the light as i needed a really really tough one that does not break the bank. So this "issue" does not really bother me, just turn it off with the rear clicky and problem solved. I can't justify the Elzetta ZFL-M60 as it is twice as expensive and also twice as dim.

I agree that the standby current draw isnt really an issue[i charge my light once approx every 4 wks anyway] and great video especially the shotgun test.

Enlightened
Swan, nevertheless it'd be great if they could improve on it, i'd not mind 400 microamps if they can do it (should be quite easy), no need for 40 microamps though. :D
Seriously for Li-ion we all change at the 2-3year mark if it's not stored at 40% or in the refrigerator, we all want to use good cells don't we..... A pair of XTAR (Sanyo) 2600 is just $13.50 shipped.

Besides, some other lights need to have an ultra-low standby draw, coz they do not have rear clickies for easy OFF.

Last edited:

Enlightened
I am interested in this light and also noticed the extra weight, in fact, this series of lights are getting heavier and heavier :
3M XML ==> 118g
RRT 21 ==> 137g
RRT 2 XML ==> 161g

So, are the extra 30-40 grams noticeable in everyday use ?

It is just somewhat noticeable, i guess you'd get used to it. It's not that heavy to the point that you put it into your pocket and it sags your pants, the thing is that even if you are not going to abuse it or use it at great heights and risk a drop (eg up in the trees in an observation post), the heft inspires confidence in tough uses, that feel good factor you know what i mean bro? :D

Enlightened
One thing i like to do is a knuckle/finger rap on the light, this feels like just 1 solid block of alu. Esp with the 4mm thick head dia at the bezel and i think it's 3mm at the other end of the head (Fenix T1 is 4.45mm). Body tube is 2mm. Tailcap is solid but not as solid as the front parts. No rattle, no shake, no sound.....just the sound of your bones resonating. Rap your knucles on solid concrete, that's the exact sound.

Latest posts