My light failed me! I need a new one.

wludavid

Newly Enlightened
Last week while vacationing in a remote section of Costa Rica, the power went out. I dutifully went to grab my 2AA Mag Lite with Nite Ize drop-in to find it completely nonoperational. It lived in my toiletry kit so maybe the moisture or the constant rough treatment killed it? Anyway, I've decided to get a Fenix EO1 to replace that one in the dopp kit. But I thought I'd get a better one too for longer power outages and emergency situations. (The recent hurricane and earthquake in DC got me thinking more seriously about this.)

So here's my checklist. Any suggestions? Thanks!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
__x__I'm flexible, tell me what you got.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__x__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
____Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__x__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

__x__I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
____I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__x__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__x__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
__x__3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I don't care.
__x__I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__x__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
__x__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, wludavid. :)

I'll move your thread to the LED Flashlights section, as that is what you are looking for.

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for aa lights, you may want to think hard about running on LSD Nimh rechargeables (eneloops, rayovac platinum, etc) rather than just alkaline. Particularly if this light will sit unused for long periods of time.

Sounds like you are looking for a 2xaa light from your description. Fenix LD20 and Quark aa2 are your usual suspects. As well as the Eagletac P20a2.

Last edited:

AaronG

Enlightened
+1 about the LSD rechargeables. That way you can always use the alkalines in a pinch while still enjoying the higher output and lack of leaking ;)

I would recommend the LD10. It still meets your output/runtime requirements and it's easier to slip in a pocket or hold in your mouth if needed. I purchased the LD10 and my Dad opted for the LD20. In the end he wished that he'd gone for the LD10 too.

ragweed

Enlightened
In addition to other lights you may choose, I think the E01 is great for an emergency must have light. Also, consider a Photon or clone for your keyring. They really come in handy as well & weigh nothing.

immax01

Newly Enlightened
I'm very happy with my Jetbeam BA20. It seems to fit your criteria. I'm not as experienced as the others on cpf but the BA20 was my first "real" light and it's pretty fantastic so far (about 2 weeks).

$40
270 lumen (probably closer to 210)
nice mix of throw and flood
Only 2 modes: 270lum and 30lum (which could be a good or bad thing, I don't need 6 modes)

wludavid

Newly Enlightened
Last time I looked into rechargeables, they had a much higher self discharge rate than regular alkalines. I take it the state of technology has changed?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look at them. I really wish they weren't all alphanumerics! It's hard for the new guy to keep them all straight.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
LSD means low self discharge. They still make plenty of crappy rechargeable AA cells too however. Try to stick to Eneloops, they are great.

4sevens has the Quark line of AA lights and I've found them dependable.
Especially like the Turbo variations.AA2

Last edited:

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
Last time I looked into rechargeables, they had a much higher self discharge rate than regular alkalines. I take it the state of technology has changed?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll look at them. I really wish they weren't all alphanumerics! It's hard for the new guy to keep them all straight.

You need to look at LSD nimh's. LSD= Low self discharge. As mentioned Sanyo Eneloops and Rayovac Platinum are the most common brands. Eneloops are pretty much the best performing ones out there, but the Rayovacs are cheaper. LSD batteries are often marketed as "pre-charged"

SirJohn

Newly Enlightened
I don't own one, but I think most who buy them are happy with them. Definitely the smallest 2xaa light around. Use the search function and you can probably find some impressions. It will be very floody without hardly any throw because of its tiny head and reflector. Also, keep in mind that it is a twisty interface and not a clicky. With it being a longer light and with as many modes as it has, this may not be the most convenient method of operation. Neither of these things may be a problem for you, but do keep it in mind.

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Anyone have any thoughts on the Quark MiNi AA2?

I'm personally a big fan of the full size Quark series. In my experience, the Mini's seem to have a higher failure rate than their bigger brothers. It's going to be tough to find a light that puts out maximum power for that length of time, but with a lot of modes and easy access to the lowest and highest modes from off, the Quark series is a great choice - I'm particularly fond of the AA models, especially with the development of the 14505 battery. I may do a review on the Quarks soon, but give them a serious look.

mbw_151

Enlightened
If you want 50-150 lumens for 3 hours, you will be hard pressed to get that from alkaline batteries. Alkalines don't like the high discharge rate. Rechargables like Enloops or Energizer L91 and L92 Lithiums will work much better and they won't leak in your light. Running 50 lumens for 3 hours is also about the limit for current single AA lights so you'll need 2 x AA or to change your criteria. Again changing the battery to lithium could get you into a single AA light. A high end light here is the Surefire E2L-AA, but it isn't cheap. For a more modest price the full size Quark AA2 and Fenix LD20 are good choices, there are others that will work as well but I don't have experience with these.

wludavid

Newly Enlightened
If you want 50-150 lumens for 3 hours, you will be hard pressed to get that from alkaline batteries.

Yeah... I missed the "measured at maximum discharge" part of that.:ohgeez:

I want an Furniture Avoidance mode for >3 hours but with a 50-150 lumen mode for as long as reasonable.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I have been using a pair of Quarks for about a year now, AA and 2xAA (tacticals) as EDC lights. If I had to purchase them now would go with the same thing but might upgrade to the XM-L in the 2xAA. Upgrading to a clicky switch from twistys was a big bonus to me. IMHO...
+1 on the eneloops that and energizer lithiums are all I ever use.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The BA20 is the most efficient 2x AA light out there without going XM-L, which seriously compromises on throw/reach of the light. It is also one of very few 2x AA's which are well regulated on high even with alkaline cells, so if you want to stick with them then that is the way to go. It will also run for pretty much dead on 3 hours on Energizer lithiums, and that's at the 250 lumen mode. It will give 50+ lumens on low for around 15 hours on energizer lithiums too according to my measurements..

I can't see any 2x AA lights being a better option than the BA20 at any price tbh. I would also strongly recommend looking into LSD Ni-mh cells as well though.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get a Zebralight SC51 with lithium AA batteries. Buy a cheap AA plastic case to carry extra lithium batteries as back ups. Unscrew the tailcap when not using to prevent any drainage, and accidental activation.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to wludavid --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

Wow -- you've been a CPF member Longer Than I Have,
and yet this is only yer' 6th posting ! ! !

Truly a man of Few Words !

BTW, can you tell us *which* of the Nite-Eyes LED upgrades you had installed in that Mini-Maglite ?

Was it a " 3 Round LEDs " model, or was it 1 single LED (tiny square) ? ? ?

I have experience with both of those units, in my Mini-Mags.

Just curious.

wludavid

Newly Enlightened
Wow -- you've been a CPF member Longer Than I Have,
and yet this is only yer' 6th posting ! ! !
I joined YEARS ago to ask an question about modding an CPF-hated headlamp and never got an answer. I'm not exactly a flashlight enthusiast so I didn't stick around. But I really love that there is a group like this. Makes me feel good about my obsessions. And as obsessions go, flashlights are pretty cheap and harmless. I was into road bicycles and BMWs. Ugh.

BTW, can you tell us *which* of the Nite-Eyes LED upgrades you had installed in that Mini-Maglite ?

Was it a " 3 Round LEDs " model, or was it 1 single LED (tiny square) ? ? ?

I have experience with both of those units, in my Mini-Mags.

Just curious.

It was a 1-LED upgrade. It looks like the tailswitch had corroded.