Regarding Pila

R983

Newly Enlightened
So when do you guys think Pila lights will become more main stream? Im so tempted to buy a GL4 from Brigade Quartermasters, but what about the availability of replacement bulbs and service issues? The GL4 seems to be an awesome light as far as power goes, rated at 185 lumens, plus the addition of LED's. I wasn't crazy about the fact that Brigade only carries them in red LED's but now I see the positive side with the red not killing your night vision. The 95 dollar price doesn't really bother me, plus the 20 dollar batter change ( 4 x CR123A)..but the bulb rated at 185 lumens and 40 minute run time leads me to believe that the bulb life would be rather short, probably 15 hrs or less. Any Info would be great.

Rich

Floating Spots

Enlightened
If you are still paying $5 for your 123 cells, you need to stop.
Batterystation has cells for $1 each.
Surefire sells cells for $1.25 each.

As for the rest, I don't know......

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my experiences with Pila have been first rate. Their CS is truly world class. The only thing that keeps me away from the Pila lights is the beam. I have a Pila 3.7v LA that I use in my G2 with the rechargeable batt and the beam isn't nearly as nice as that of a Surefire. I prefer to stay with Surefire when I can and power it with the Pila batts.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a G4 on the way from wei-usa.com for $87, spare lamp for $17, $7 shipping.

This is the first I've heard of a bad lamp from Pila, seems everybody else has been happy with theirs.

R983

Newly Enlightened
Can someone tell me all of the compatibility between Pila Lights and Surefire Lights? I'm mostly looking for bulbs and reflector assemblies. I've heard that some surefire lamp/reflector assemblies are interchangeable with the Pila G3/GL3, can anyone tell me more about this. What about the G2/GL2 and G4/GL4??

Also on wei-usa.com they only have the Rechargeable GL4 and its rated at 135 lumens. However at brigade quartermasters, they have the GL4 which uses 4 CR123A batteries and is rated at 195 lumens. Is this a newer model GL4?

Rich

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure what the difference is between the rechargable G4 and 4x123. I ordered the 4x123 from wei, you have to call them since they have no prices or online cart. My order was drop shipped from a warehouse in Ohio so I bet they can order from the complete line.

If I want a rechargable I'll buy a streamlight, so I went with the power of the G4. Batteries are no longer a cost factor.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
tkl,
I'm not saying that the Pila lamp is bad. All I said was that the beam isn't as nice as that of a Surefire. I still use it. It puts out alot of light. I just prefer to use stock Surefire lamps in the 3 cell lights since the Pila cells drive these nicely.

With regard to the G4, it's my understanding that you just get more output with the 4x123 as opposed to the 2x168's, but you can switch back and forth between the two power sources.

R983,
The Pila lamps are compatible with Surefire lights, but not vice versa (at least I don't think they are, but I've never tried this. You suppose you could make it work). The Pila 3.7v lamps are compatible with Surefire 2 cell lights when used with a Pila batt. The Pila 9v lamps are compatible with the Surefire 9v P series lamps for use in 3x123 lights and can be used with either 123's or Pila batts. If you get a Pila lamp to use in a Surefire, make sure you tell your vendor that you will be using it in a Surefire light. They'll send you a spring that makes the lamp work in a Surefire. I personally prefer to just use the Surefire lamps in the 3 cell lights because the beam is nicer, if not brighter. The advantage of the Pila 9v lamp is, of course the happy medium of being brighter than the low output lamp, but not as bright as the high output.

The Pila 9v lamp is not compatible with the MN series of Surefire lamps, like those in the M3.

R983

Newly Enlightened
The G3 and GL3 using 3 X CR123A batteries, are 9 volt lights correct? Will any of the 9 volt sure fire lamp assemblies work in the G3 or GL3 ? same goes for the G2 and GL2 will any sure fire lamps work in the Pila lights as a replacement part.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G3 and GL3 are indeed 9v lights. The thing about the Surefire P series lamps is that they use a spring for the negative contact. The Pila lamps do not use this spring, hence the need for the addition of a spring to the Pila lamps to use them in Surefire lights. I do not think that simply cutting down the spring on a Surefire lamp will make it work reliably in a Pila light. You'll probably need to devise something for the negative contact to use a Surefire lamp in a Pila light.

If you're getting Pila lights, you'd probably be better off just using the Pila lamps in them.

R983

Newly Enlightened
All right guys, that's for all the help, I'd have no problems just using the Pila lamp assemblies, just was concerned about replacement parts. The lights themselves are still hard enough to find, let alone the replacement lamp assemblies. I'm gonna give WEI-USA a call sometime soon for pricing, if they carry spare Pila lamps, how their billing system is set up and if they will take a credit card order over the phone. I'm leaning toward a GL3 for use with CR123A's. The GL3 seems to be pretty respectable, rated at 130 lumens with a 50 minute run time. I also like how the switch system is set up as opposed to the Streamlight Twin Task's. Then, considering this will be the 4th light I will have that uses the 123's I'm gonna have to order some from surefire. 15 bucks for 12 of them is a hell of a lot better than paying 4 or 5 bucks a piece in stores.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the GL2/GL3/GL4. I use the (4) on duty every night. I have dropped it, kicked it, and generally abused the crap out of it. It still runs fine on the same lamp.
Mine had the white LEDS and I got the tactical switch. I use the LIion rechargeables and get a solid 80 minutes run. It is more than up to the task of on duty use