Lithium AAs

JOshooter

Enlightened
My dad brought home his buddy today who was in search for some flashlights to send home to his family in New York. He was showing him some Sonics, Arcs, and other small fairly common battery torches. He asked what Lithiums did for the flashlight. My dad responded with longer runtime, longer shelf life, brighter output and what ever else they do that I have not listed. They have Litium AAs, 9v, and AAAAs, but what about triple As? Does anyone know of plans of making them? Or why they aren't out?

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium AAAA is news to me. No word yet on whether anyone will build lithium AAA. Several forumites have asked Energizer quite a number of times, I think.

When you are just generally comparing lithium cells to alkalines, you will have greater leak resistance, longer shelf life, higher power capacity for equivalent size (higher power density), lighter weight, ability to deliver higher currents without excessive drop in operating life, ie with alkalines, they may be rated 2800mAh, but you could only draw that much power if you ran it approx. 10mA. If you started to run 500mA, you will probably get only two thirds of the capacity, the rest going to waste in internal resistance and heating up the cell.

The thing about brighter output between AA lithiums and alkalines is because the lithiums usually start out at 1.7V nominal, whereas the alkalines would be around 1.5V. Also, since lithiums have lower internal resistance, high drain applications, like incandescent bulbs, will be able to draw the necessary current without difficulty, resulting in a brighter light. An alkaline may start to experience losses due to internal resistance and so may not be able to supply all the necessary current. That is also why, in high-drain applications, AA lithiums will perform better. But in terms of power capacity of AA lithiums verses AA alkalines, they are quite similar, so you would probably not see any benefits using lithiums in low-drain applications.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another characteristic is that lithiums give lights a flatter curve than alkalines over time. They perform more like the light is regulated.

Paul

danielo_d

Enlightened
Oh, one more detail about the Lithium advantages...
they are less affected by temperature extremes. I guess that would be advantageous if you
lived in say ... an igloo. [from your 'Loc: entry, brite one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif]

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah... They will continue working at almost full capability at freezing temperatures, long after alkalines have hibernated.

Lithiums are really great, but there are some disadvantages too. Price being one of them. And because of the lithium inside, you want to be a little bit more careful around water. Not that the cell design would not be waterproof, but lithium is highly reactive to water and a slightly cracked cell that would still work otherwise, might allow just enough water in for a spectacular demonstration of the gas relief system.

And does anyone know if there are any problems with disposal? I mean like the old alkaline cells used to have a mercury content and that was bad to have in landfills. And no self-respecting CPFer should be dumping NiCad in to the garbage bin. What about the lithium and sulphur dioxide or lithium manganese, or whatever compounds they use in lithium cells?