Ikea Ljusa hand crank dynamo LED light

NickBose

Enlightened
At A$7.99 this is probably the cheapest dynamo light using capacitor for energy storage and in my opinion probably one of the best so far!

6150219892_7ab4082665.jpg

Why is it one of the best? Because the design is so ergonomic winding the handle feels so light and good you can keep doing it without cramping your hands (like with other dynamo lights I have). 30 windings give 90 seconds of light. It sounds short but for emergency that is enough.

The only thing that may compete with it is the shake light Nighstar.

I will post comparison beamshot later

In picture is the Nightstar II, LightStorm SL1, Ljusa, and LightStorm CL1

6149664913_41a32d1326_z.jpg

Danielsan

Enlightened
i like the modern organic design, its a real "designer" light, nice to look at for sure. Those form follows function "tactical weapon lights" are more ugly in my mind.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely looks like a pepper grinder. Leave it on the table next time you have guests over, just to see how long it takes for them to figure out you don't even have a pepper grinder...

I'd like to hear about all your crank lights. Who knows, we might one day have a crank light section in here!

vali

Enlightened
I think a reliable winding flashlight would be awsome. I found none of them to be able to be called realiable, tho :(.

Slashman

Newly Enlightened
no, a headband
LOL,

Seriously though, lot to be said for hand cranked/shaken self charging dynamo flashlights - the ultimate post apocolyptic light.

Agree with Vali that the experiences I've had with them they have not been reliable, hence I gave up trying and have gone with battery power since.

NiceBose (or others) would love to understand which is the most reliable one out there (would save a fortune on juice).

Cheers,
S

NickBose

Enlightened
I know it looks weird but trust me, you will feel the joy of cranking it once you hold it in your hand. You can keep cranking and cranking ... and cranking. The designer put functioning before look when she made this light but I don't think it looks bad at all, just unusual (to those who think a flashlight must always look like a cigar).

About reliability: It feels very solid and did I say the crank handle is really really smooth. With a capacitor I believe this is a light made to last. However another factor to consider is the moving gears inside - it won't outlast a shakelight NightStar though.

All these dynamo lights are meant for emergency only. Don't expect to use them as your regular light and save on batteries as the brightness is very modest.

About reliability I think it has been discussed countless of time and the shakelight NightStar seems to be the best among hand-powered lights.

Last edited:

alfchan

Newly Enlightened
I have tried this at one of the Ikea outlet in Hong Kong. It is a sturdy little light. It will be perfect if the designer has put a small roller at the end of the handle. With the current design when you grip the end of the handle while turning, it will rub against the skin of your fingers and causes burn.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
That first pic ought to include a Swedish Bikini Team member. Posed properly. That should make it better.

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a reliable winding flashlight would be awsome. I found none of them to be able to be called realiable, tho :(.
I have the nightstar and it is pretty good as far as these lights go, but I agree I would love to see a reliable crank light using a capacitor. I think it would be somewhat easy/cheap for a custom builder to do as well.

iqwozpoom

Newly Enlightened
Just a thought, you know those noise makers for new years and parties? The ones you spin over your head. Function over form a dynamo light with that design might take the pita out of winding.