---#1 EDC flashlight*Peak Logan QTC with momentary on/off -Pictures-Video

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
  • Hi all,
For an EDC flashlight I been looking for a while. I saw Surefire L1 and loved the momentary on/off, with high and low modes. Both available at the click of the button. Problem was its pretty big and the pocket clip is bezel up.

Then I got to try the McGuizmo PD. Wow:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Small CR123 light with similar User Interface as the Surefire L1, but you could also access the low/high modes by twisting the bezel. Similarly; if you were on low mode already and clicked the tail it would go on high. So, you could access the 2 modes via tailcap and bezel. Did I mention it was bezel Down pocket clip....:thumbsup: Then I discovered how much they cost:broke:

Based on my experience I now know I want a pocket clip bezel down (deep pocket carry only). The clip has to be pretty too, sorry but if McGuizmo and MacCustoms have nice pocket clips my new EDC better have one too. The Pocket clip is really well made. Doesnt move at all and once its cliped in youre panths it aint budging. Really really really well design/made pocket clip.

The next issue is the User Interface. I am very practical. I like on/off and no Disco Modes (strobe, beacon, emergency twitchy ect..). I dont want to program the light or read a bible to learn how to use it. I have had CPF members send me lights to test the OTF lumens and I sent them back untested due to this. Yes, some are that freaking hard to use.

After having various Surefire L1's I know that I wanted that type of momentary on/off....low and high mode. I also knew that I if it had modes I wanted it as easy as the McGuizmo PD. The modes are accesible via tail dependant on the thumb preasure or by twisting the bezel dependant on how much you twist the bezel.

Well, this Peak Logan QTC Momentary on/off with 17500 body hit perfectly for me. I purchased mine here:
http://www.oveready.com/peak-led-flashlights/cat_54.html

Here are the specs that it has which sold me.
  • Short CR123 or AA lengh wise
  • Skinny light. I have had other CR123 and AW 17500 hosts and this one is really thin feeling.
  • Attractive pocket clip like McGuizmo
  • Deep pocket carry with bezel down
  • Momentary on/off
  • modes accessible via tail like the McGuizmo and Surefire L1
  • Modes also accessible via twisting bezel 0~300 lumens
  • Will work with AA Alkaline cell too
Bonus features this has:
  • Infinite brightness modes
  • Bezel Up Stands = for candle usage.
  • Any combo of brightness available via whatever combo of tail and bezel you can imagine.
  • feels well built with some heft to the bezel
  • Tiny bezel provides quite some throw
  • 1.6A at the tail with fresh cell and 1.4A with 10min depleted cell, likely this is direct drive and the QTC controlls the current
  • Thermal path is awesome. The bezel gets warm quick, 40 seconds or so when its on high mode. And it better too, cause at 1.6A I expected it too.
Things to improve:
  • WARM Tint or 3K tint
  • softer momentary on/off, but since its pocket carry it makes sense to not have it so sensitive.
  • Maybe an XM-L version
Okay, so not many things to say can be improved but I am trying to be fair:whistle:

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is the video link and photbucket link..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbhGsJ6YGo

For the Video I used a DSLR type of camera where my settings were all on Manual mode and the aperature. ISO, and shutter speed stay the same. So, its a perfect depiction of how it actually compares and looks in person.

Last edited:

S1LVA

Enlightened
Nice light, and great review! The video is awesome too.

After seeing this, I just ordered one from Oveready. 17500 w/ momentary switch. I already have a clip waiting for it too!

Now I will watch your video a few more times while I anxiously wait for mine to play with :)

S1LVA

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
great video.
thanks for this, ive always wondered how much control you have with the momentary switch + QTC.
it looks like it works great, even with the short travel of the switch.

i think i will have to get some 90cri XP-Gs and send them to peak for an entire line-up!

that clip looks great too.

hotlight

Enlightened
Nice writeup... I'm trying to resist picking one up now.

I just got done building/piecing together a AA L1, and now this comes along. I didn't know the Logan can be run off AA. (I'm assuming both alkaline and nimh?)
I also thought that a Peak with the momentary and QTC couldn't be operated in constant... definitely has my attention now.

Have you tried running on alkalines or nimh AA yet? any approx. max output? what's the lowest voltage it can take?(vampire-ish?) Any thoughts on the "waterproofness" of the Logan? (read that someone had a leak from the optic/lens)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice writeup... I'm trying to resist picking one up now.

I just got done building/piecing together a AA L1, and now this comes along. I didn't know the Logan can be run off AA. (I'm assuming both alkaline and nimh?)
I also thought that a Peak with the momentary and QTC couldn't be operated in constant... definitely has my attention now.

Have you tried running on alkalines or nimh AA yet? any approx. max output? what's the lowest voltage it can take?(vampire-ish?) Any thoughts on the "waterproofness" of the Logan? (read that someone had a leak from the optic/lens)

I will do another video to demonstrate how it looks with a NiMH AA cell, NiZN AA cell, and AA Alkaline. It would be nice if it allowed for vampire mode too.....well see tonight!!!

I can do a video of me dunking this little light to show how it handles underwater.

The reason you cant operate in constant high mode is because its pushing alot of current and it gets warm. If you hold it by the bezel I see no problem running it till the AW 17500 cell protection kicks in. I would not turn on high mode and leave it untouched. It would get really hot. Luckily it has infinite lower modes to use it as a candle aka bezel up.

bigC

hotlight

Enlightened
I will do another video to demonstrate how it looks with a NiMH AA cell, NiZN AA cell, and AA Alkaline. It would be nice if it allowed for vampire mode too.....well see tonight!!!
*cool, looking forward to it*

I can do a video of me dunking this little light to show how it handles underwater.
*that's completely up to you...lol. My concern is water will get in thru the optics(and making it cloudy/foggy).. a pet peeve. But I'm confident that even if water did flood the whole light it'd still run due to being potted and all*

The reason you cant operate in constant high mode is because its pushing alot of current and it gets warm. If you hold it by the bezel I see no problem running it till the AW 17500 cell protection kicks in. I would not turn on high mode and leave it untouched. It would get really hot. Luckily it has infinite lower modes to use it as a candle aka bezel up.

bigC

*well there's the heat issue of course... but, I meant: I thought if using the momentary switch option, there was no way to have a constant on. (on any level). It does make sense now that I've seen it work as a momentary and constant. * Hope I made sense.

Looking forward to your AA testing/observations.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Earlier today I smugly commented that "my collection is fine - I have my users and my BoB lights and a few redundant users - nothing on the way, nothing on order." Then I stumbled on to this review and watched bigchelis' video...

I think I just got Oveready's last 17500 Logan QTC with Momentary Switch! Not like I need it, but this little US made light looks to cool to pass up. Thanks for the review! Can't wait for it to arrive!

BigC - have you tested it in your sphere? I'm as interested in how LOW it goes as how high. Looks like a solid little chunk of a light - and darn bright, too. I'm not big on twisties, but that momentary switch is what pushed me over the edge.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm as interested in how LOW it goes as how high. Looks like a solid little chunk of a light...
With the QTC you can get the LED to be barely visibly lit in a dark room. You can easily look at the LED while it emits a faint glow. It does take me some time and playing around with it to get it just right, though. I got some QTC material and made my own, the ones from Peak may be easier to control quickly. And yeah, Peak's are built solid.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm finding it hard to keep up with Peak's three XPG R5 1AA lights: Logan, El Capitan, and Volcan. They all look the same and seem more similar than different. The only differences I can see:
1. The Volcan and Logan are said to deliver 2500 candlepower; the El Capitan, 1800.
2. The Volcan and Logan use a reflector; the El Capitan is offered in both a narrow-beam reflector and a medium (18-degree) optic.

Last edited:

purelite

Enlightened
The Logan is 17MM in thickness also which is mybe a bit chunkier?

I'll try to post some pics of my Logan today . I have to agree this is an awesome light. I got the 17500 2 tone twisty from Oveready with the silver clip and it is very slick. I love the QTC. I am wishing now that I had gone with the pushbutton body though.

BigChelis does it come on when clipped in your pocket and you sit down? Thats why I didnt go with that style I thought it would be on all the time in my pocket. Is it stiff enough it wont activate? It seems to me yuo would have to carry it with the head twisted far enough off for no accidental turn on. Thats why I sold my Nitecore D10 and Ex10 .

I had a blast playing with the QTC last nite and you can get it set damn low with a little patience. Output on a 1.6V Genix is respectable at about 70 lumens I would judge. With the narrow optic even 70 lumens punches thru the nite and hits trees 40 feet away with ease. The clip is great also. I clipped the light backwards on my pocket last night to take out the garbage cans to the curb and you can angle it slightly forward and it lights up the ground in front of and around your feet. It is solid even clipped this way to the pocket. I really didnt think I would like the narrow lens but it is perfect and I like the throw. There is still plenty of spill , its not like a laser beam still very functional and you get some punch also. Unlike the other lights I have tried woth floody beams that get dominated by the dark nite when taken outside they barely light up the ground in front of you.

If you looking for a nice simple pocket/edc light built like a tank and made in America with cell flexibility and bombproof reliability go with a Logan. and if Oveready ever restocks them get a 2 tone with clip. Its AWESOME!!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The momentary on switch on/off doesn't activate unless you want to. I actually caried it all day yesterday and almost fell asleep with it cliped to my shorts. It never acidentally turned on. I think it would be very difficult for the Logan 17500 to turn-on in the pocket while carying. Maybe that stiff switch has its benefit afterall.

It does work with AA Alkaline cells, AA NiMH Cells, and AA NiZn cells too. Surprisingly; I get 970mA at the tail with all 3 of these AA cells. All were new or topped off. I will use the AA Alkaline on high mode to see how long it will go before the light goes to low on its on, hopefully it will be a good vampire.

Look how small the bezel is compared the the Surefire E-series.
DSC00665.jpg

DSC00661.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

bigC

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay so I just confirmed this Peak Logan and how it behaves with Alkaline AA cells.

• AA cell wiggles when light is off
  • AA cell will not wiggle if its on
  • from 1.4V~1.8V input I get 970mA at tail
  • At 1.3V input the current at tail drops to 200mA
  • Will see how low the current goes before the light stops working, currently at 1 hour and 20min of it on 200mA.
Check it my new video of the Peak Logan AA Alkaline vs. DQG WARM AAA L92. Both are XP-G emitter behind small Optics. The DQG If I recall is around 46 OTF with that L92 cell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmiaWatCVYk

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I have to agree this is an awesome light. I got the 17500 2 tone twisty from Oveready with the silver clip and it is very slick. I love the QTC. I am wishing now that I had gone with the pushbutton body though.

I assembled and tested your and BigC's lights on the same bench, at the same time, with the same parts. You can unscrew the keychain stud, pull out the foam plug, and install the momentary switch any time you'd like. BigC can unscrew his momentary switch, install the plug and screw in the keychain stud.

Whoa: Is your DQG AAA really warm? In your video it sure looks warm

Setting the camera to a fixed color temp at or near 4300K should render lights accurately.

papageorgio

Newly Enlightened
this is a great video! Thanks for taking the time to do this. If you have the time, I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see an outdoor comparison! That would be excellent! Anyone think the Logan CR123 is too fat for pocket carry? I just don't want to deal with 17500's.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I been running the Peak Logan 17500 with the AA Alkaline for 6~7 hours now.....The current actually dropped now closer to 50mA, which is why its alot lower. In the video below I said 200mA, but not the case after I checked.

At close to 7 hours of non-stop usage with fresh AA Alkaline still works. The voltage input is now at 1.25V and 50mA at the tail. At this rate I could leave it on all weekend.:D

Just to show you it works with the keychain option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdZnOHbWrdw

bigC

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is a great video! Thanks for taking the time to do this. If you have the time, I'm sure we'd all LOVE to see an outdoor comparison! That would be excellent! Anyone think the Logan CR123 is too fat for pocket carry? I just don't want to deal with 17500's.

The CR123 hosts if its anything like the 17500 will be pretty thin and the bezel will be freakishly tiny, yet the throw on it is amazing. I will see about an outdoor video for you. Maybe today or this weekend if I get a chance. I went with AW 17500 because I had 5 in my battery arsenal and it also also allows for AA Alkalines to be used in case of emergencies.

bigC