Yes, the Quark “X” AA2 Cree XM-L still has a pre-flash.....

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
I just got my new Quark "X" AA2 Cree XM-L.

I told another poster I would reply with an official answer, so here it is.......

So the official answer is a definite "Yes" the Quark "X" AA2 still has some pre-flash on it. I read in another post that all high power flashlights with a moonlight mode have a pre-flash, and if they don't then they have a parasitic drain whether admitted by the manufacturer or not. I have no idea if this is true, but I make this post to see if someone knows if this to be true. Or if maybe there is some new technology that they don't know about. I imagine as soon as the technology came out that they would instantly change their flashlights. Maybe the Quark "Y" AA2.....Followed later by the Quark "Z" AA2 =)

• So I think I am gonna stick with this new Quark "X" AA2. I like it more.....It's got a slightly deeper pocket clip, little shorter, lighter, easier to conceal, brighter, actually water proof (let it sit for an hour in pot of water, bone dry inside afterward), tail stand is amazing. All in all this really is my favorite light.(Now if there is someone who thinks they know of better I am all ears This is an all over the place thread for anything and everything.)

• Here is what I didn't like.....The pre-flash obviously, the little inclusion that all my other led emitters didn't have, turbo is good for maybe 45min, not a fan of that(fresh Duracell). Also note that the Quark "X" AA2 had the widest inside body, this caused the noisiest flashlight, I solved this issue with some paper(Now the quietest flashlight I have).

Here are my pics(super late edit, but that last pick is 1/2000 of a sec on turbo, Neutron 255Lm vs Quark 280LM)

Pic1.png

Pic2.png

Pic3.png

Pic4.png

Pic5.png

Pic6.png

Last edited:

Jondrywall

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the AA-2 version but I do have the 123x2 version and it does not have preflash. The reviews I've read only say the AA version has preflash. Any ideas why? I would think it would be the other way around.

My Quark AA-2 S2 has preflash also but I didn't notice it for a while. I just received my X 123-2's yesterday so I'm wondering if this could develop over time.

Lightingman

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the AA-2 version but I do have the 123x2 version and it does not have preflash. The reviews I've read only say the AA version has preflash. Any ideas why? I would think it would be the other way around.

My Quark AA-2 S2 has preflash also but I didn't notice it for a while. I just received my X 123-2's yesterday so I'm wondering if this could develop over time.

I just checked, I only get preflash on moonlight mode. My moonlight mode is 0.3Lm, what is you moonlight mode at?

Edit: also note that the reason given for the preflash was to avoid parasitic drain while off. So if there is no preflash and no mention as to why, then I imagine the company got tired of the complaints and decided to change it, give everyone the parasitic drain, because they know most other major flashlights do the same and make more sales. Just a theory though.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark X AA2 does NOT have any pre-flash. I tried turning it on and off about 100 times in moonlight mode over a couple days and never had preflash. However, I use Eneloops. I wonder if it has something to do with the Duracell alkaline cells you are using.

Edit: Mine does have pre-flash. I see it every now and then now that I've used it for a while - it does not happen every time.

Last edited:

pinetree89

Enlightened
I've noticed my 123^2 X Tactical has preflash. Not as bad as my AA2 S2 Tactical though. I can tell they've tried to tone it down a bit. I would almost describe it as a "pre-ramp" if that makes any sense. It's not quite as flashy, but it's there.

Doesn't really bother me. It's one of my favorite lights as of late. The flood is awesome.

weez82

Enlightened
anyone else want to report their findings? I have a NW Quark X 123^2 regular (non-tactical) and no pre-flash using the cr123a's that came with the light and a AW 17670. Im looking into getting a Quark X AA^2 regular (non-tactical) but really dont want pre-flash. Is it only on the tactical versions? Or has it been hit or miss, just completely random? I like the 123 but I like using eneloops more. It is just more convenient for me

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Tactical 123X 2 and there is no pre flash. I also have the Tactical AA with the R-G5 emitter and there is pre flash before medium mode.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the neutral X AA2 tactical and no pre-flash. Not sure if the same applies to the cool white. There might still be a lot of the first gen XM-L left in 4Sevens' inventory since they tend to produce more cool whites.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if voltage input is a factor. I've got an older Quark R2 regular, and on 2AAs it won't preflash, but running off of a 17670 it always flashes when I first click it on.

It's noticeable but I don't think it'll really impact night-adapted vision very much, if at all.

AutoTech

Enlightened
My klarus st10 does the pre flash thing too, used to be annoying at 4:30am! I say 'used to be' because I now EDC a sunwayman V10R titanium. It's unbeatable for output selection with the variable control ring, it goes really low which is great for dark adapted use.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Does the XM-L Quark X look all that brighter on the highest setting compared to the LD20 R5? How is the tint?

Blackbeard

Enlightened
Mine Quark X2 has parasitic drain, picked it up after it sat for a few weeks and output was real low. Pretty lame, guess I'll have to leave the tailcap loose from now on.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine Quark X2 has parasitic drain, picked it up after it sat for a few weeks and output was real low. Pretty lame, guess I'll have to leave the tailcap loose from now on.

I'd try cleaning and re-lubing the threads, then put in a fresh set of Alkalines or Lithium Primaries measured by a multi-meter before and after a week. If you have any parasitic drain, then something is wrong and you should send it back for warranty repair. I have 3 XML Quarks, and the batts last forever in them (NiMh, and 14500) ... I check 'em every week or so, but it's unnecssary.

BTW... on pre-flash, you can argue that there's a 1 lumen pre-flash, but it's totally insignificant and nothing like what was on the R5s which had a Max pre-flash.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Enlightened
I'd try cleaning and re-lubing the threads, then put in a fresh set of Alkalines or Lithium Primaries measured by a multi-meter before and after a week. If you have any parasitic drain, then something is wrong and you should send it back for warranty repair. I have 3 XML Quarks, and the batts last forever in them (NiMh, and 14500) ... I check 'em every week or so, but it's unnecssary.

BTW... on pre-flash, you can argue that there's a 1 lumen pre-flash, but it's totally insignificant and nothing like what was on the R5s which had a Max pre-flash.

Ok, Thanks, I'll give it a try