Can I simply replace MCE to XML led?

efka

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

simply question:

I have Jetbeam M1X flaslight. Its perfect, but has MCE Led problem- hole in beam..

Can I simply change MCE led to XML led without changing driver?

Thanks.

P.S. where to get driver board for XML led without any sos or strobe modes.. Only full max mode.. ?

Sorry- my english not very good :)

efka

Newly Enlightened
"can be set to lo-mid-hi mode group "

Hi,

its ok, but I wrote, I need ONLY 1 mode- maximum from xml led...

thanks

yazovyet

Enlightened
I thick it depends on how the MC-E is wired to the driver. I don't know a lot about MCEs so if someone provides contradictory information you may want to listen to them.

What I read said they run at up to 700 mA per die and have 4 dies. Assuming 1 constant current driver, if these were wired in parallel then the driver would be putting out 2.8 A and around 3.5 volts, thats great for an XM-L. If they were in sires then you'd have 700mA and around 14 volts, putting in an XM-L would give you about one quarter the light (that assumes the driver reduces the voltage to in the 3 volts area, if it kept it at 14 volts it would not be a good constant current driver and would blow the LED). I suppose, in theory, there could be 4 drivers (one for each die) but that seems silly.

SOOOOOOOOO, before you try it you might want to investigate how the driver is wired.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
not the driver wired, but the star can have either paralell, series, or individual wiring, you got to figure which one you got. most likely it is paralell, but you never know, just mesure voltage at the led when it is on, you'll see right away how the star is wired.
as for hole, there is no garrantee xm-l will fix that. it is 50\50 chance.

Walterk

Enlightened
I've tried to change a MCE in a Fenix TK40.
It was connected with two wires.
The star made the MCE act like one single led with Vf of 12V instead of the common 3,2V.
Experimenting showed it could not be replaced with a XM-L, the driver gave trouble with all modes.
Eventually replaced the cool white for a warm white MCE, so opening up had a benefit.

Last edited: