LED lights w/grip ring but w/o "strike bezel"

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I personally perfer lights with grip rings (such as the Surefire 6z, Fenix TK 11/12/15/21, Olight Warrior). The problem I have with them is that almost all of them also have rather sharp, scalloped "strike bezels" that makes pocket carry impossible (because they cut through your pants). I also can't stand the nylon holsters that most lights come with. I have found the Galco FLC flashlight carrier to be fairly useful. It hold the light by the body, and as such can hold a vast assortment of lights (since so many lights have the same body diameter of 1" or 25.4mm). But once again, those darn "strike bezels" quickly ruin anything they rub against. So my quest is to find lights that have grip rings but do not have strike bezels.

Desired features:
Uses 2 CR-123 batteries
Has several output levels (would like at least three levels plus strobe)
Has a grip ring
Does not have a sharp "strike bezel"
Has a strobe feature
Under $130.00

Greatly prefer wide flood style light over tight spot. I want it to illuminate as broad of an area in front of me as possible, I don't care if it has trouble lighting up a man-sized target 300 yards away.

So far, the only great candidate I've come across is the Jetbeam PC25. I really like everything about it, seems like the perfect light for me. The question is, are there any other lights out there that fit the bill.

Thank-you in advance!

Last edited:

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
solarforce l2t.

Nice light, GREAT price! Not a big fan of way you have to change the modes on it. I really love how the Night-Ops Gladius changes modes, allowing you to set the mode before turning it on or while the light is on. To bad the PC25 or L2T does not have that style of mode switching, but at least the PC25 give you a way to instintly strobe at max intensity whether the light is on or off. I have found that a handheld light with a high intensity strobe is the perfect tool for dealing with aggressive free-roaming dogs at night.

Last edited:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on... the obvious answer here... Surefire Z2 with an XM-L drop-in of your choice or one of those Z2S whatevers with the LED head and strobe functionality... Or a C2... C2s have a a grip ring and no pointy bezel...

You can pick up a Z2, a Nailbender 3-mode Hi-Lo-Strobe XM-L drop-in, and a McClicky switch upgrade for right about $130....

Shao

Last edited:

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Come on... the obvious answer here... Surefire Z2 with an XM-L drop-in of your choice or one of those Z2S whatevers with the LED head and strobe functionality... Or a C2... C2s have a a grip ring and no pointy bezel...

You can pick up a Z2, a Nailbender 3-mode Hi-Lo-Strobe XM-L drop-in, and a McClicky switch upgrade for right about $130....

Shao

Your math is way off...
$115 - Z2
$40 - Nailbender
$26 - McClicky
$181 - Cost of components

That's a far cry from "right about $130..."

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get a Z2 off of the bay for $65 + $40 Nailbender + $26 McClicky = $131

Not a far cry at all... Who pays retail for Surefire anyway????

:D

Shao

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
I can get a Z2 off of the bay for $65 + $40 Nailbender + $26 McClicky = $131

Not a far cry at all... Who pays retail for Surefire anyway????

:D

Shao

So nobody in their right mind should buy from you...that is what you just said in a nutshell. I'll be sure to follow that little bit advice.

CheepSteal

Enlightened
So nobody in their right mind should buy from you...that is what you just said in a nutshell. I'll be sure to follow that little bit advice.
The $115 Surefire Z2/C2 he sells are bored for 18650 cells. Very professionally bored too, I might add, I know because I have one. :)
Back to the OP, I've tried the JB PC25 and it's quite a solid, nice light. Only quarrel for me is the mode memory; if you accidently left it in low and you need high real quick, you're screwed. I guess that doesn't matter too much for you becuse you'll be using the insta-strobe anyway. I would get one if not for the cool tint and mode memory; it feels and looks like a futuristic, cyborg Z2!

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions everyone! Great to know there are actually several options out there! Digging around the forums and the various places/sites I have found out quite a bit and discovered a LOT of light manufacturers that I was not aware of before. One new one (to me) has been Zebralight. What a very nice UI! If they made a light with a grip ring that ran off of 2 CR123 cells, and a XM-L LED, it would rank very high on my list.

Bobby_C

Newly Enlightened
Olight M20-X.

The strike bezel can be unscrewed and used w/o and the flashlight would still look finished. The strike bezel is fairly well finished (not really sharp edges) and doesn't feel like it would catch anywhere though.

The light pattern is perfect. Right in between spot and flood.

It comes with 2 CR123 batteries and a sleeve so it doesn't rattle in the tube. It's bored to accept a 18650. The light also comes with a holster, a diffuser cap, o-rings, flat cover for the threads if you decide to take the grip ring off and a glow in the dark rubber switch cover.

freshcopedawg

Newly Enlightened
C2 from midway $55
nailbender from lighthound $45
mcclicky from lighthound $21

*edit for spelling*

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are going for a c2+ a mccliky, you can buy the solarforce l2t.
No need for boring it for 18650, and you remove the solarforce's only wekness the second you change the switch. A solarforce with a mcclicky is just as good as a c2 with a mc clikcky. It's cheaper and with the ability to run 18650 out of the box.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.
They are both a tube of aluminium, but one cost's 3 times more. Will the solarforce alu tube have any chanse of failing where the surefire won't? Bore the surefire for 18650, and even the walll thickness will be the same. I can't see how one alu tube can be better than the other in this case.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The $115 Surefire Z2/C2 he sells are bored for 18650 cells. Very professionally bored too, I might add, I know because I have one. :)

Thanks for that! I'm glad you like it! I hope it serves you well!!!

You can't blame the guy for not knowing as it looks like he just joined... or maybe he's a zebra-loving troll looking to pick a fight! :D

Latest posts