handheld flood only flashlight

MK9

Newly Enlightened
I already have (which I thoroghly like) the 3AAA Javelin but I would like something similar but brighter and longer battery life.
We did a mock search last light and had to find standard playing cards at night in grass, brush and trees. With this exercise we had 15 minutes. In a real search it my be all night. I know I could just carry more batteries and change them out when necessary but I would prefer not to have to do that. If the Zebralights had one of their 18650 flashlights in a full flood my quest would be over.

At this point it seems too much to ask of AA batteries. I would prefer the light to be a little longer rather than bigger around.

I have read people mentioning Markoff and P60 drop-ins but I do not know what any of that means. I've look them up and find those sites are directed to those who already know what they are. So if you suggest either of those please direct me to a site that breaks it down so it could be used in one of those "Idiot" or "Dummies" books.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying your Javelin with the 3AA extension tube only lasted 15 minutes on high? If so, something is wrong with the light or batteries. What kind of run time are you looking for?

MK9

Newly Enlightened
Are you saying your Javelin with the 3AA extension tube only lasted 15 minutes on high? ....QUOTE
]

I kinda see how you got that impression. :ironic:

According to Dereelight's specs, I'm guessing the Javelin will last 1 hour on high.
Below are the specs they gave me for the 2AA version:

The Low lumen setting : 3 lumen, 35h
The Medium lumen setting :60 lumen, 3h
The High lumens setting : 280 lumen, 40min

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
P60 based lights use a host and P60 module. The module houses the LED, driver etc all in one nice neat package. They are easy to swap from one module to another in the same host. Modules range from cheaper single modes to high dollar multi mode quads. They can be made to pretty much do what you want. Throw, flood or a nice mix. The only real drawback is for really high power they get hot fast due to small size. Hosts also range from cheaper Chinese hosts (some are pretty nice) to Surefire and Malkoffs and up to the custom Ti jobs.

MK9

Newly Enlightened
P60 based lights use a host and P60 module. The module houses the LED, driver etc all in one nice neat package. They are easy to swap from one module to another in the same host. Modules range from cheaper single modes to high dollar multi mode quads. They can be made to pretty much do what you want. Throw, flood or a nice mix. The only real drawback is for really high power they get hot fast due to small size. Hosts also range from cheaper Chinese hosts (some are pretty nice) to Surefire and Malkoffs and up to the custom Ti jobs.

Which P60 modlue emits flood and which emits throw?
And where are the sites that carry what you mention?

yowzer

Enlightened
The Spark SL6 using the included extra frosted lens is a very floody, bright light in a compact package.

You can also get diffuser film and put it over the lens of any light, or use a diffuser attachment that fits over the head of a light if it has the right size bezel. I do that with my Catapult to switch between monster throw and massive flood.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster and Nailbender prob make the furthest throwers.

Malkoff, Nailbender, Overready, VanIsle, Kerberos all make flood modules. Though get ready to spend some coin for those last ones. Probably a long list actually but those are off the top of my head. Solarforce makes more budget minded dropins. Most XML and MCE dropins are more flood than throw.

In case didn't know, Malkoff makes a 2AA host (little twisty) and the VME head with a M31 would might fit your bill. I'd email Gene and ask. Or even call. I think Solarforce makes a 2AA P60 host as well, though the dropins are likely limited unless running 14500s in it.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff, and Overready have their own websites. Though they have retailers here on cpf I believe as well. The retailers sometimes have special warm modules etc. Solarforce I like illuminationgear as a seller. They also have a nice beamshot page.

The others are available on cpf custom sales or cpf marketplace.

Big P60 thread stickied that's worth reading.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
With this exercise we had 15 minutes. In a real search it my be all night. I know I could just carry more batteries and change them out when necessary but I would prefer not to have to do that....
At this point it seems too much to ask of AA batteries. I would prefer the light to be a little longer rather than bigger around.
What batteries are you using? Carbon Zinc, Alkaline, NiMH, LSD NiMH?
Carbon zinc and alkaline do not have the oomph to power up todays high powered flashlights. Regular NiMH needs to be charged often even if you do not use them. LSD (low self discharge) NiMH (usually say pre-charged on the package) should be used. The original Eneloops are still considered the best. For flashlight use there is not much difference between the various brands but digital cameras do seem to prefer Eneloops. If you have been using Alkaline or 'Heavy Duty' batteries, time to get new batteries and a charger. You will have to hunt for a charger that can charge 3AA cells. A lot can only do 2 or 4.

I have read people mentioning Markoff and P60 drop-ins but I do not know what any of that means. I've look them up and find those sites are directed to those who already know what they are. So if you suggest either of those please direct me to a site that breaks it down so it could be used in one of those "Idiot" or "Dummies" books.
Surefire made the original P60. It was an incan light running on 2*CR123A batteries. 18650 is too fat to fit.
It was copied a lot and many of the copies are bored out so they accept the 18650 battery.
They are popular because the lamp module can be swapped for a different one.
The Dereelight CL1H is one. Because 18650 is not readily available everywhere Dereelight made a 2AA body called the Javelin. Unfortunately LEDs need 3.4-3.6V to operate properly so the 2AA is dimmer. Dereelight made an extension for 3AA.
While 3AA have enough voltage todays LEDs also require lots of current. 1A+ for an XRE, XPE, Rebel. 1.5A for XPG. 3A for SSC P7, MCE, XML. 5-9A for the SST-50 & SST-90. Alkaline and heavy duty batteries just cannot provide the current for long. Changing to NiMH should help.

-----

There is one thing you should check. Unscrew the front bezel and make sure the light module fit snugly against the body. Should there be looseness between the reflector and the body/head fill the space with crumpled aluminum foil. (You should not have to do this as a Dereelight drop in shout fit a Dereelight head perfectly.)
The reason to check this is an LED only converts 25% of the incoming energy to light, the rest as heat. If the heat can not get to the body and outside air, the LED can cook. The better circuits have thermal protection which lowers the output when things get too hot. If the thermal path is not good you lose power after a little while. (The early 3W LED Maglite is famous for going to 1/2 power after 10 minutes.)

-----

Hope your problem is just using the improper battery or a bad thermal path.

BTW which drop in do you have with your Javelin?

dosei-45

Newly Enlightened
If the Zebralights had one of their 18650 flashlights in a full flood my quest would be over.

Zebralight is coming out with a 18650 powered headlamp with a XM-L LED. They list the beam type as Flood. It is the H602 and H602w, and is supposed to be getting released sometime in the first quarter of 2012.