Beam shots comparing new Neutron to "old" Neutron. Did Thrunite change the Neutron?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shots comparing new Neutron to "old" Neutron. Did Thrunite change the Neutron?

I love the beam so much on my Thrunite Neutron 2A (neutral) so I purchased a Neutron 1A for my daughter. The 1A beam looks nothing like the 2A. It is the most horrible beam I've ever seen. This XML has more rings than the XRE. What happened?

This is what I saw when I turned it on :faint:
Wow, lets count the rings.

zl8308.jpg

Unfortunately, this is noticable everywhere I've tried the light so far.
I quickly grabbed my Neutron 2A (neutral) to compare. see the difference? (no, I'm not talking about the tint):

2vm7xc9.jpg

Notice the difference between the reflectors? My old 2A has an OP reflector and the new 1A has a near smooth reflector.

2edp4px.jpg

White wall shots (1A is cool, 2A is warm). Notice the 1A has rings and artifacts everywhere. The 1A also has donut hole which you can't see in this picture.

1zgz5np.jpg
2rc5uhg.jpg

Did the 1A always have a different reflector from the 2A or did Thrunite change the reflectors on all the Neutrons (and not for the better)?
BTW, the emitter is perfectly centered and the reflector looks fine.

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
Re: Beam shots comparing new Neutron to "old" Neutron. Did Thrunite change the Neutro

to be honest, maybe your Neutron has the rings as well but cause of the warmer tint you cant see them as good? the closer beam shots looking pretty identical to me, just different tint. Your Neutron is also brighter because 2AA

Last edited:

Bass

Enlightened
Re: Beam shots comparing new Neutron to "old" Neutron. Did Thrunite change the Neutro

Looking at your close up of the reflectors, the Neutral appears to have a deeper OP but it is hard to tell. I would doubt they are different though, seems unlikely as they use the same LED - unless one is deeper than the other?

The rings you are seeing look to be a combination of light rebounding off the bezel, which can be a problem for pronounced metal bezels and AR coating (the purple tint of the edge of the corona) in your stairwell shots. I doubt this has much to do with the reflector; if you look, the hot spot and spill are the the same on both lights but the cool white has wide rings and purple tint beyond the beam profile. The are both XM-L so would have roughly the same beam pattern (depending on reflector)

The beam pattern on the Neutral will be smoother, the phospher on the LED adds additional diffusion.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Smooth reflector = more artifacts.... that's why OP reflectors were invented in the first place.... looks like they wanted to go with more throw for revision 2... a shame because it was the awesomely smooth flood beam that was one of its strongest points... Hopefully they revert back or offer a rougher OP reflector as an option...

Shao

Edit: Bass, my 1C is as cool as a cucumber and there isn't a ring to be found... The neutral theory is out...

Bass

Enlightened

Shao, from your reply I understand there is now a revision 2 of the Neutrons? This is probably the difference the OP is experiencing - the Rev 2 has a throwier beam with a smoother reflector.

The additional phosphor used on Neutral and Warms definitely diffuses the beams vs regular cool white - I guess you have a good sample with deeper, shorter OP reflector and wider beam. First run?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

the closer beam shots looking pretty identical to me, just different tint. Your Neutron is also brighter because 2AA

The camera did not pick up the rings in the closer beam shot. In real life they are different as night and day. It also has nothing to do with brighter because I put the cool tint head on the 2AA body and the warm head on the 1AA body and the results were the same.

Looking at your close up of the reflectors, the Neutral appears to have a deeper OP but it is hard to tell. I would doubt they are different though, seems unlikely as they use the same LED - unless one is deeper than the other?

My "old" neutron (the warm tint) has a moderate OP reflector. The new one is nearly smooth. There are also differences on the inside of the head. It appears Thrunite changed the Neutron.

The rings you are seeing look to be a combination of light rebounding off the bezel, which can be a problem for pronounced metal bezels and AR coating (the purple tint of the edge of the corona) in your stairwell shots. I doubt this has much to do with the reflector.

I removed the metal strike bezel on the cool tinted light and the rings actually got worse. The only thing I can come up with is the smooth vs OP reflector. The beam shots of the rings are actually nowhere near as bad as real life. I've owned at least 50 lights at this point and I have never seen a worse beam.

mrlysle

Enlightened

The camera did not pick up the rings in the closer beam shot. In real life they are different as night and day. It also has nothing to do with brighter because I put the cool tint head on the 2AA body and the warm head on the 1AA body and the results were the same.

My "old" neutron (the warm tint) has a moderate OP reflector. The new one is nearly smooth. There are also differences on the inside of the head. It appears Thrunite changed the Neutron.

I removed the metal strike bezel on the cool tinted light and the rings actually got worse. The only thing I can come up with is the smooth vs OP reflector. The beam shots of the rings are actually nowhere near as bad as real life. I've owned at least 50 lights at this point and I have never seen a worse beam.

I don't know tre. My Fenix PD31 looked a lot like that Neutron. I disliked it a lot and finally got some of phaserburns DC-fix diffusion film and put on it. Changed it from what your seeing to absolutely perfect. If you decide to keep it, rather than send it back, the diffusion film is a very viable "fix" for a beam like that. Good luck. Here's a couple shots of my PD31 "before" and "after" the DC-Fix
PD31%252520before%252520DC-fix.jpg

PD31%252520after%252520DC-fix.jpg

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

I updated the white wall shots. You can really see the artifacts and ring around the spill on the cool tinted Neturon with the smooth reflector vs the original warm neutron with the op reflector.

Harry999

Enlightened

My Neutron 1A and 2A in both cool and neutral all have the smooth floody beam with a light OP reflector. That was the main reason I have 6 of the neutrons in various AA formats plus a CR123 body. I would not purchase the new version because that beam is not what I want in this light. The beam the old version had is my absolute favourite of all my lights save the Zebralight H501 at least until the H502 comes out.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

I updated the white wall shots. You can really see the artifacts and ring around the spill on the cool tinted Neturon with the smooth reflector vs the original warm neutron with the op reflector.

I have 1A, 2A, 1C as well and all has LOP reflector.
It's surprise the difference of the beam profile between OP & smooth reflector is so noticeable.

I link to the relating beamshots here!

Last edited:

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reflectors don't at all the same to me. The one in the 1A looks a lot smoother, less texturing in it than for the 2A. Perhaps that's the reason?

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast

The reflectors don't at all the same to me. The one in the 1A looks a lot smoother, less texturing in it than for the 2A. Perhaps that's the reason?

I think so.

The shape or form of the reflector(bottom & top) may be another reason.

CoolLEDs

Newly Enlightened

A few questions for the OP:

1. Is throw significantly increased with the new smooth reflector?
2. Did Thrunite fix the squishy tailcap and wobbly head problems that affected the old models?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

1. Is throw significantly increased with the new smooth reflector?

The smooth reflector did not change the throw at all. There is no throw. It is a flood light (with a zillion purple and blue rings). The Quark X 2AA throws way farther than this light (even when I use this Neutron with 2AA cells) and the Quark XML is a flood light (think Zebralight beam). I thought I had seen a few bad beams before but this one takes the cake by a mile.

2. Did Thrunite fix the squishy tailcap and wobbly head problems that affected the old models?

Head is extremely wobbly. Tailcap I've not noticed.

UI is also not working correctly. When I go from Turbo (head tight) to low (head loose) and back to Turbo, everything is fine. When I go back to low, the light goes off (without pressing the clickie). This happens every time. If I tighten the head again, the light magically goes back on (again without clicking the tailcap).

I've decided this light is going back because of the horrible beam, broken UI, and poor build quality.

Last edited:

stv

Newly Enlightened

I placed an order for a Neutron 1a earlier this week and was a little worried when I came on here and saw all the complaints people had regarding this light (I know it's stupid of me to research the light AFTER getting it). Well I received the light today and I must be lucky or something but my light has none of the mentioned problems. There are no blue ring artefacts, no play in the head whatsoever and I can change from firefly to turbo without any issues. So either I got lucky and received a good one or a lot of people are just getting really unlucky and keep on getting dud ones. That or maybe they've addressed all the issues within like the last month...... :shrug:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I placed an order for a Neutron 1a earlier this week and was a little worried when I came on here and saw all the complaints people had regarding this light (I know it's stupid of me to research the light AFTER getting it). Well I received the light today and I must be lucky or something but my light has none of the mentioned problems. There are no blue ring artefacts, no play in the head whatsoever and I can change from firefly to turbo without any issues. So either I got lucky and received a good one or a lot of people are just getting really unlucky and keep on getting dud ones. That or maybe they've addressed all the issues within like the last month...... :shrug:
Can you set the light to firefly mode, switch it off and on a few times and see if there is light? The problem does not happen from high to firefly but rather when switching on directly to the firefly mode. For mine, sometimes it switches on, sometimes it doesn't.

stv

Newly Enlightened

Can you set the light to firefly mode, switch it off and on a few times and see if there is light? The problem does not happen from high to firefly but rather when switching on directly to the firefly mode. For mine, sometimes it switches on, sometimes it doesn't.

hi pjandyho, I just set the light to firefly mode and turned it off and on 5 or so times and there was light each time. There was a very short pause before the light came on but that seems to be the case with each of the settings and I'm assuming it has something to do with the memory function.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

hi pjandyho, I just set the light to firefly mode and turned it off and on 5 or so times and there was light each time. There was a very short pause before the light came on but that seems to be the case with each of the settings and I'm assuming it has something to do with the memory function.
Thrunite probably fixed the issue. Kind of irritating if you are trying to get it to come on in firefly mode when say just woken up from sleep in the middle of the night.

stv

Newly Enlightened

Thrunite probably fixed the issue. Kind of irritating if you are trying to get it to come on in firefly mode when say just woken up from sleep in the middle of the night.

Completely understandable. It seems that rather than properly testing the neutron before releasing it, they released the torch and then relied on the consumers to find the bugs for them. All they've managed to do is annoy quite a few customers and taint the image of what appears thus far to be a pretty awesome light.