DIY pocket suspension clip

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
After spending about $12 for a commercial suspension clip, I made a more economical version.

I used a small vise and a locking pliers to bend a clip from a key ring into the proper shape. Short lengths of heat shrink tubing cover the ends. So far, it works even better than commercial version. The steel is springy so it grips the pocket edge well without being as difficult to remove as the $12 titanium version.

suspension-clip3.jpg

suspension-clip1.jpg

suspension-clip2.jpg

pinetree89

Enlightened
I like it. Very simple. Was it hard to bend the steel? Seems like it would be very springy.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like it. Very simple. Was it hard to bend the steel? Seems like it would be very springy.

This particular clip was made of chrome plated steel. The steel wasn't inherently springy so it tended to keep its shape as I bent it. The springy action of the clip overall seems due to large loop at the top.

The main fear in bending the clip to shape was that it might break if bent too many times at the same location. I bent the lower portion around a bolt to form a better looking circle (the area which holds a split ring).

Some of the plating flaked off at the bends, but that didn't pose a problem in actual use.

I didn't have to cut the clip at any point because it was large enough to serve as-is.